Tower Clock Restoration Unfolding and New Guy

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by scootermcrad, Mar 1, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new home of the NAWCC Message Board
    We are glad to see you have found us Guest. If you like what you find here, please let your friends know about us.
  1. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
  2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I saw that post. Great post! I missed the part about it possibly being a Hotchkiss design. Interesting! Thanks for the link

3. scootermcrad

NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Okay! Replying to my own request, Phil Wright came to the rescue with some critical pictures for me. This is quite a site, right here. Almost all these escapement components will have to be made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. scootermcrad

NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Hey everyone,
    I just wanted to post an update real quick, since things are sloooooowwwwwly starting to happen again.

We have a meeting with the county on Thursday to discuss our plan for this restoration as well as what all we have learned. We've learned more about the history of the movement than we have probably anything else, at this point, but we have a plan in place. We know what's missing, what parts we'll be looking into the community for (literally!) and how we intend to replace the parts if we can't find them.

In the meantime, I need some more help from this community. I'm looking for more information on Hotchkiss tower clocks PREVIOUS to the relationship with Seth Thomas that would maybe give us more detail on the parts that we are looking for. I'm also looking for a Seth Thomas Tower Clock catalog that would cover the #6A clock movement. Even just a scan of the catalog page would do the trick. I have a catalog from the correct era, but it skips a few of the models that were offered, including this one. We are probably going to have to replicate the pendulum and we only THINK we know what it looked like, but aren't positive.

As for the plan itself, I think everyone will be happy to know, we are going to restore this to as close as originally designed as possible, replacing all the missing components with re-cast and re-machined replicas, only if we can't find the originals. The weight drive setup will be redone around the updated building structure and all safety measures taken as needed. There will be auto-winders installed but will be external for the least amount of impact to the clock as possible and prevent any further damage to the clock movement components.

To take it to one more level, before re-assembly, I am going to make every attempt to 3D scan every wheel and unique piece so that a physical document can be kept in order to repair/replace these parts in the future, should anything occur later in the life of the clock. This would also give us the ability to build a scale replica for the museum on the first floor, if desired.

Just an update. Hopefully someone can help me out with the info request above. Anything you folks could offer would be appreciated.

THANK YOU!
    S

5. scootermcrad

NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Update! We have some progress. Another visit to the clock and the protective box is off so I can see everything now. Now we know exactly what we have and we even found some clues to the puzzle and history including the weight chutes, one weight box, and the super important pendulum bob! Structural engineers were on sight to look at the stairs and we talked about lifting points so we can lower parts down and out. This is a big step!

Here's a few pics for you guys!

The courthouse

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What is this dangling piece just inside the frame above the leg mounting pad? It resembles a bone, for lack of a better description.

[​IMG]

View from the dial room down to the belfry area

[​IMG]

6. scootermcrad

NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Still looking for information on this striking mechanism

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the missing pendulum bob

[​IMG]

And the mystery of what was used for weight is solved!

[​IMG]

7. scootermcrad

NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Good morning, Folks! Just a quick update on our project for you.

We've pretty much just been getting organized for fund raising and dealing with the political side of things. We've formed a non-profit group to handle the financial and legal components of this project as well as putting ourselves in the position to handle other community clock projects when they come to light.

In addition, I've created a blog (http://cabarrustimesavers.blogspot.com/) so we can better interface and provide details and updates for the project to our community. We've been receiving a lot of positive input and encouragement from local groups to apply for grants and suggestions that donations are being considered. The unfortunate part is that the County (who is handling the structural part of this project) is going to take forever, but the work has been approved and the community is getting behind us to make this happen. It's starting to feel very real, but we're still far away from being able to remove the clock.

Updates will be slow, but we're still going to continue to fill in the historical timeline for the clock and hopefully locate the purchase record for this clock. That might provide more answers for us.

That's all for now! Still looking for some answers to some of the above questions, mentioned earlier in this thread. Please look through the thread and let me know if there is any additional information that can be provided on some of the mystery items.

Thanks guys!

[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

8. Mr. Time

Mr. Time Registered User

Feb 13, 2017
    #48 Mr. Time, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    Wow!.....what a huge project.

I can only imagine the excitement but with a lot of anticipation with a heavy dose of patience to add. Yes, please keep this thread updated for as long as it takes to see this project's final completion (also provide as many pictures as possible).

Lastly, I like reading about all types of restoration projects on vintage things such as clocks, automobiles, etc. so this thread has really got my interest. Just a suggestion but from time to time you should record (video) everything associated with the clocks project.

9. scootermcrad

NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Mr. Time,

I'm on board with you! I'm a big fan of seeing detailed restoration projects. Videos are planned as well and have also been requested by the county, when possible. I have the GoPro standing by. When the clock movement is removed from the tower, I'm hoping to set up a camera in the work space for time-lapse coverage, but we'll see how it all pans out. There are several restoration and fabrication projects going on in the small little work space where this will be done, so it might not work out.