Tower clock in Edmonton Alberta

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by Kiesewetter, Jul 24, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Kiesewetter

Kiesewetter Registered User
    NAWCC Brass Member

Nov 22, 2002
    Chemist, National Institutes of Health
    Maryland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was in Edmonton Alberta last week and saw a tower clock in front of the Westin Hotel downtown. The site markers indicates that the tower clock was originally in a post office building (constructed around 1912) at the same site but was moved into a new tower in front of the hotel in about 1978. The mechanical movement must have been installed in a protective glass case (which is still there), but the movement is no longer there and the clock still works. Maybe it was electrified. I have submitted an inquiry to a newspaper in Edmonton. Does any one on this forum know anything about this tower clock?

2. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  3. Kiesewetter

Kiesewetter Registered User
    NAWCC Brass Member

Nov 22, 2002
    Chemist, National Institutes of Health
    Maryland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you for your response. I had seen the video (which is the correct clock) which is how I new that the movement had at one time been located in the case. I sent an email inquiry to Graham Hicks, the Sun columnist that made the video. He is out of the country for about 1 month. So, I forwarded the inquiry to a general newsroom email address. I let you know if I learn anything.

D

4. doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'd be interested! I live 200 miles south of Edmonton, and I look after 2 tower clocks, here. One, a 1903 Howard has a McShane bell, cast in Baltimore in 1903.

5. centame

centame Registered User

Dec 13, 2005
    Country Flag:
    I lived in Edmonton for a few years back in the early 90s, Could get mighty cold during the height of winter. First time I experienced having to "plug" a car into the grid when parked. So, just got me wondering re Turret clocks in cold climates - have they to be specially treated (oiled??) over the winter period and are there other issues to be concerned about?

6. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    yes thats normal, to plug your block heater in, in Canadian winters.At least where i currently live.
    The coldest place i lived in was Fort St John area, northern B.C.Coldest day, chill factor minus 65 degrees fahrenheit.
    I would imagine it would be a very versatile oil used in tower clocks.One extreme to the other, hot and cold.
    maybe Doug could add more to this as he knows more than i about tower clocks.:)

7. doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #7 doug sinclair, Aug 18, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
    The tower clocks I look after function quite well with synthetic motor oil. The Howard operates at the lowest temperatures of the two because of its location. When the mercury falls to - 35 degrees Celsius, it is - 35 in the clock room. The Seth Thomas is in a cupola atop our old City Hall, and the temperatures are a bit more moderate owing to the convection of warmed air from the building beneath it.

Attached Files: