Tower clock in Coventry Vermont

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by bptanguay, Aug 8, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bptanguay

bptanguay Registered User

Apr 5, 2012
    Watchmaker
    Massachusetts
    Country Flag:
    Located in the center of Coventry, in the Congregational Church this clock dates back to 1840 and was donated by Elijah Cleveland who paid $260.00. It was outfitted with two electric motors quite some time ago by Harmond Hunt of Hamilton MA. It has not run in over 25 years. Can you identify the maker? It only has one dial.
    IMG_5338 (1280x960).jpg IMG_5351 (1280x960).jpg IMG_5353 (1280x960).jpg IMG_5356 (1280x960).jpg IMG_5366 (1280x960).jpg

2. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Brian, is that a wooden flatbed, or steel? hard to tell from the photos. Have you looked through Fred Shelley's book?

3. bptanguay

Apr 5, 2012
    Watchmaker
    Massachusetts
    Country Flag:
    It's steel. I don't have Shelley's Book.

4. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's a must-have book, especially the new edition, which Donn Lathrop had a hand in. I have to wonder if this was once a wooden flat bed clock, with a new frame built for it in relatively modern times. Is it a riveted frame?

5. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    work in a machine shop, not as a machinist
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looks like George H. Holbrook, but I could be wrong. He did use an escape wheel like that with a pallet picking up a tooth on each side.

I'd like to see a photo showing more of the mechanism from where the pilot dial is mounted to the frame.

6. bptanguay

Apr 5, 2012
    Watchmaker
    Massachusetts
    Country Flag:
    I only spent a few minutes looking it over, mostly for any damage, which I found none. It appears to be riveted. I'll go back and take more pictures from different angles. And I found the first book by Shelley for a buck in Seattle. It's on the way now.

7. bptanguay

Apr 5, 2012
    Watchmaker
    Massachusetts
    Country Flag:
    IMG_5352 (1280x585).jpg
    Any members from this group here? What did you record to the Vermont Tower clock survey?

8. bptanguay

Apr 5, 2012
    Watchmaker
    Massachusetts
    Country Flag:
    What about Stephen Hasham?

9. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Here is a link to the survey: http://homepages.sover.net/~donnl/vt.html

I also found a reference in the Orleans County History that showed that Cleveland purchased the clock around 1847 for $250; however, you will see in the above survey that the maker is unknown.

10. bptanguay

Apr 5, 2012
    Watchmaker
    Massachusetts
    Country Flag:
    Thank you Dick. I hope to discover the maker and add it to the list.

11. Donn Haven Lathrop

Donn Haven Lathrop Registered User

Jul 28, 2010
    This is a George Handel Holbrook. It is NOT a Hasham. Hasham would never make such a crude clock--Holbrooks look as though they came directly from the blacksmith's foundry. I will say that they do run, and run well for all their crudity. I'm currently embroiled in restoring the 1762 Hawting from Ipswich, and helping a friend in Mass. restore his Holbrook, which incidentally, has a knife-edge pendulum suspension. VERY unusual!!!
    I'm going to check on Coventry. If the electrification drives the clock from the winding barrel(s) no damage is done. If it's driven from the escape wheel arbor, lots of wear is likely. But this one still has its escape wheel and pendulum, which were almost always removed by that idiot from PA who destroyed so many tower clocks.
    The Hawting is running, and will be delivered to and set up in, the First Church in Ipswich the first weekend in October.

12. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I second the "idiot from PA" remark. He must be long gone. He did the local clock here and we lost the escape wheel and pallets.

13. bptanguay

Apr 5, 2012
    Watchmaker
    Massachusetts
    Country Flag:
    Donn, do you have any images of George Handel Holdbrook clocks for comparison? Thank you for the comment, and from what I can tell, it is possible to bring it back to an original wind up and remove the electrical. I'll look further into the specifics of what was taken out if anything. It will be nice to put a name on the clock finally.

14. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    G H Holbrook.

Painter couldn't spell.

Attached Files:

15. bptanguay

Apr 5, 2012
    Watchmaker
    Massachusetts
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the picture, It looks like a good match. Now we can update the records. Tower clocks of Vermont.

16. Donn Haven Lathrop

Donn Haven Lathrop Registered User

Jul 28, 2010
    #16 Donn Haven Lathrop, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    Some Holbrooks had a flat iron strap frame attached to the wood frame. Some just have the pillow blocks just wood screwed to the wood frame.

17. bptanguay

Apr 5, 2012
    Watchmaker
    Massachusetts
    Country Flag:
    It appears that the town of Coventry is "missing" about 10 million dollars, due to poor record keeping. The auditors are working overtime to figure out just how much, if any, is actually missing or just not recorded. I guess the George Holbrook will have to wait.