Tower clock has seen better days...

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by Spaceman Spiff, Feb 6, 2010.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Registered User

Jun 19, 2006
    Male
    Semi-retired - with a degree in Creative Writing
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, all.

I'd posted a couple shots of this clock in a thread that Scottie had started about clock photography, and Laprade has suggested that it might be of interest to those here in the tower/public clock forum.

I took the shots in Sept 2007, in the town of Biddeford, Maine (I think). (We were driving around through a lot of towns in Maine that day, but I'm 98% sure this clock was in Biddeford).

It was clear at the time that the clock had been atop a large building (the red brick building in the last photo, viewing upward), but it must have been removed and set on the ground for safety purposes (before it fell off!) (Actually, I guess it shouldn't really be called a "clock" anymore since it's now just a "clock case").

I don't know anything else about the clock or its history.

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. laprade

laprade Banned

Sep 10, 2008
    writer, radio producer, old building-materials adv
    Irish, but live in Laprade, 16390, France, (70 mil
    Country Flag:
    Great Spaceman!

It is a fine example of a "cupola" clock, a variety that succumbs to the weather all too easily. Maintaining the housings is a constant problem, as access isn't always that easy. A friend of mine bought one from a demolition site in the 70s and installed it in his garden. It was on the last remaining part of the roof and he gave the crane driver ten pounds to drop it onto his truck. He then had to get one of the other demolition men to retrieve the movement, which was in the roof space. The clock hands were driven by rods coming up from the attic.

I think Spaceman's pictures are great. I wonder where the clock is now.

3. bptanguay

bptanguay Registered User

Apr 5, 2012
    Watchmaker
    Massachusetts
    Country Flag:
    Spaceman Spiff likes this.
  4. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Registered User

Jun 19, 2006
    Male
    Semi-retired - with a degree in Creative Writing
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wow! Thanks very much for the follow-up article from 2014, and for taking the time to search for my prior post! I appreciate knowing a bit more about what happened to the clock. :)

I wonder what progress has been made since 2014? :)

Thanks again!!
    John

5. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Yes that was excellent, no idea how it came about that such an old thread got a follow up but great to hear about the preservation.

6. bptanguay

bptanguay Registered User

Apr 5, 2012
    Watchmaker
    Massachusetts
    Country Flag:
    A friend of mine went to the area and took a picture of the tower in the parking lot. She said, here's a clock you can fix. I did a quick search online, found the article in the paper, then I came here and did a search and your thread was the only one that came up. The power of the internet. I'm glad you are still following. It's a huge project and I'm thrilled to see that they saved both the clock and the tower.