Tower Clock Collector New To Forum

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by Wade Hubble, Oct 18, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wade Hubble

Wade Hubble Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Hi, I've collected clocks more years than I care to admit. Before retiring I spent 14 years in Europe. There I saw my first tower clock for sale and was hooked. Next year I hope to move the greater part of my collection from Germany to Washington. It will be nice to have them in one place. This is my first post so I hope I did it right. I'm currently in France, need to stop buying, bought 2 more. IMG_20190925_123254.jpg Screenshot_20190817-173648_WhatsApp.jpg

k-P1012782(2).JPG 20180708_205840.jpg
    20170930_154420.jpg k-P1012597.JPG 20180915_142417.jpg 20190518_131248.jpg k-P1012682.JPG k-03_IMG_20190102_172429.jpg

Weule 150 cm from store  1.jpg 20181107_132658.jpg

2. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice clocks! Welcome to the board also. It looks like you have the market cornered on some very early examples. The folliet clock looks very interesting as a starter for discussion. I have had a number of tower clocks, mostly American, but never a crown wheel or folliet. looking forward to seeing more detailed photos of your clocks!

3. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wonderful, I would love one but nowhere to fit it. We have the guy that wrote the book in our BHI group. (Chris Mackay)

We have a collector of renaissance domestic clocks on the board and I've told him to get any further back he needs to start collecting turrets, none of this modern 16th and 17th century stuff but a 15th century one.

4. Wade Hubble

NAWCC Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Thank you, I have been a member for many years and never had time to do much. I started purchasing a little of everything, then got fascinated by early foliot and crown wheel escapements. I have started purchasing smaller foliot clocks as they are a little more available. I'll post some pics of foliot chapel clocks and domestic clocks. I have a tower clock website that I have never done anything with that I want to build and show my collection.

PatH likes this.
  5. Wade Hubble

NAWCC Member

Mar 31, 2016
    The second clock pictured is late 14th early 15th century French. It had to have some restoration as a few pieces were missing. My restorer is well connected in Europe and was able to trade parts needed with several museums. The piece is now complete with period replacements. I found a 14th century bell that he will install on the top of the clock when we decide on a design. This clock has a radial wheel instead of a foliot. No time adjustment at all. The painting is a similar clock, notice the lack of perspective.

k-P1014662.jpg IMG-20190706-WA0018.jpg IMG_20190925_123742.jpg

Jim DuBois likes this.
  6. John Cote

John Cote Director
    Director NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Photographer
    Midwest USA
    Country Flag:
    What an amazing first post. Thank you for the photos Wade. I really hope you will post more photos and details here as time permits.

7. DeanT

DeanT Registered User

Mar 22, 2009
    Male
    Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for sharing Wade. oh WOW...you have my attention!

I'd love to see more photos of them as I have much to learn about them. These are not clocks that you ever see. I can see details of the wheel construction in some of the photos where the spokes are forged or rivetted into the wheel rim. Would love to see some closeup photos.

The French clock was the one which initially drew my attention. 600+ years old is before the renaissance even started....lovely details on the frame etc

Thanks for posting and i'd love to see more. These are truly museum pieces and I appreciate greatly you sharing the photos.

Thanks again,
    Dean

8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wow! Fantastic and welcome!! Thank you very much for sharing. Would love to see more pictures of the details.

What make is the later (relatively speaking) Turret Clock, green on the black stand and on moving carts?

20180915_142417-jpg.jpg

Stunning examples. All of them!

9. Wade Hubble

NAWCC Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Thank you, I'm glad you like them. This clock is a French Joly 19th Century. Since this photo was taken I have made a few alterations. This clock is in Germany now, I hope to ship a 20 ft container of clocks to Washington next summer. This is a large clock, about 7 feet long, 4 feet high and 2 feet deep. I have had small winding motors added so no the clock will run in the house. As the drop I only a few feet, I had only a couple hours running time. I have had bell brackets with bells added, the clock is bim-bam with quarter and hour strike. There will be a motion works between the bells showing the time. I'll try to download pics. I haven't seen this clock put together it's just lucky I have 9 ft. ceilings. This clock will weigh about 900 lbs.

scootermcrad likes this.
  10. Wade Hubble

NAWCC Member

Mar 31, 2016
    I also have a short video I m going to try nd download to show the clock in operation. I am excited over this one set up. IMG-20190911-WA0013.jpg IMG-20190911-WA0012.jpg IMG-20190911-WA0011.jpg

scootermcrad likes this.
  11. scootermcrad

NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    WOW! Awesome! What a nice clock! I bet moving that will be fun. I'm looking forward to seeing everything you mentioned all set up. It will be a nice display, for sure!

Do you have the original motion-works for this clock or are you making/using something else?

I have a Paul Odebey Turret Clock that I would like to put together a motion-works assembly for (maybe more than one) and I'm having a hard time finding examples of French motion-works.

12. Wade Hubble

NAWCC Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Hi, I can tell you that it took 4 big guys to transport just the movement. It will be a big job to set up.
    Have you tried looking on German Ebay? I buy a lot of stuff there. Search turnuhr. You will see motion works for sale. They will be called winkelwerke or ziegerwerke. The tower clock guys are pretty knowledgeable and helpful.

scootermcrad likes this.
  13. scootermcrad

NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great! Thank you!