torque meter wanted

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by James Matheson, Mar 24, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. James Matheson

James Matheson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 21, 2016
    If anyone can get me a torque meter I really need one
    here is the torque meter I could find
    REED TQ-8800 Torque Meter, 0 to 15 lb-ft. (15 Kg-cm/147.1 N-cm)
    but it doesn't apply to clocks
    I am thinking one that a piece can be put on the gear I need to torque of and a digital meter that registers
    how much strength it produced

As you can see that piece is $1000 and it only has 15kg of strength

A clock torque meter has the same value ( I hope it doesn't cost as much but the value is the same)

if anyone knows of one I am in need

2. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you need one with an electronic readout then it will be more expensive than some of the traditional ones.

Do a search on "Beam type torque wrenches" and I think you will find some in the lb-ft range that you are looking for.

David

3. flynwill

flynwill Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Rolling Hills Estates, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I you are trying to measure the torque capability of a running motor as speed then indeed as you have seen the available instruments get pretty pricey pretty quickly. The easiest mechanism is some sort of adjustable brake and then measure the torque on the static side of the break (for which the common beam type torque wrench will work). The adjust able brake is the tricky bit, Instruments like the one you linked use I believe use a permanent magnet generator with an adjustable electrical load. (And in fact probably measure the produced current to sense the torque). If you are clever you can probably build something.