Tork Clock Light Switch List No 130 Double Pole 250V 30Amp

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by THTanner, Jan 17, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A light control clock from the 20s - 30s it seems.

The clockworks is by Ansonia and the case and switching by Tork Clock Company.

9 x 4 x 4 inches tall made of steel with a lockable door.

Currently in the USA - 250 volts is handled by a hot pair and a neutral. In this switch there is no connector for the neutral, so it would either be connected outside this switch box, or more likely connected directly inside the box with a hot crimp. On the bottom are two conduit cut outs of 1 1/16 inches.

My question has to do with the instruction sheet - which is the same on my 115 volt version. It says to undo the first thumb screw and remove the dial. Then undo the second thumb screw to set the On and Off arms and to set the time. In neither of these clocks is there a "dial" between the first and second thumb screws.

When tightened there is a gap between the two thumb screws of about 1/16 of an inch, which would be fine to sandwich a cardboard or aluminum dial. This missing dial would not really do anything other than rotate along with the thumb screws since the actual time dial is behind the second thumb screw as seen in the photos. I suppose it would keep fingers and other objects from poking into the setting arms.

The time of day and the time for On and Off are all handled by the inner dial behind the second thumb screw. So far I have not found any photos of these with the outer dial shown. Is there actually supposed to be a dial there, and does anyone have a picture showing what it looked like? Or does the instruction sheet refer to some phantom part that was not normally in the switch since it didn't really do anything?

IMG_3475.JPG IMG_3476.JPG IMG_3477.JPG IMG_3479.JPG IMG_3480.JPG

2. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Don't have pictures or know about the thumbscrews and dial but the clock is for up to 250 V, so with the US 115 V it will be working just fine. Are you planning to use it on US 250 V? If you do, you just leave the neutral line intact and switch the two hot wires only.

Uhralt

3. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am not planning on using it to actually control anything at this time. But, yes, it will work for a single 220 / 30 amp application with the neutrals connected directly and the two power leads from the mains connected to the two Line connectors and the two power leads for the application connected to the two on the Load side.

You can also use it to control two 110 / 30 amp applications by connecting the neutrals and putting two hots from the main on the two Lines and one hot each for two applications on the Loads.

(Of course the bare copper grounds should all be connected as well and attached to the switch case)

4. ElectricTime

ElectricTime Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Sep 28, 2002
  5. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes they work well - I have one similar to what you posted for my air compressor in the garage. I ended leaving it cycling too many nights so added the timer shut off.

6. ElectricTime

ElectricTime Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Sep 28, 2002

We have sort of the same thing at work - I put a wind up wall switch on our coffee maker as it kept getting left on at night.

7. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    the Tork I use in the garage has an electric clock that runs off the same feed that it controls. Which means when the power fails during a snow storm I have to always reset the clock. I don't plan to switch it out for a windup, but that would be an advantage.