Top shipping/packing block-George Mitchell

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by dlb1052, Oct 9, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dlb1052

dlb1052 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I answered a post in newest acquisitions, questioning what the dowels were for in the base of some wood works clocks. Sometimes they are still present in clocks with paw feet. I have a couple. Most know they were for shipping/packing the clocks in crates for transport. My response seemed to draw some interest, so I am posting the same photos in the wood movement forum section.
    When I first saw this clock for sale, I liked the carvings and was interested in the label because it was from George Mitchell only. Most of the George Mitchell labels I have seen are George Mitchell BY "others" such as Atkins and Downs. I obviously did not purchase it for it's original, but poor tablet. But, I didn't NEED another clock. When I looked at the back of the clock it became a must have. Now, who buys a clock for the back...right ? Well the reason is, because I had never seen a clock that retained a top mounted shipping/packing block which I assume protected the splat. I have seen a clock with the shadow of something but did not know what it was, until I found this clock. It probably was supposed to be removed and returned with the packing crate. So happy this one was missed. Hope you find this interesting. Diane

IMG_20191009_111516846.jpg IMG_20191009_110808329.jpg IMG_20191009_110905350.jpg