tooth decay :-(

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by Britannicus, Jan 26, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Britannicus

Britannicus Registered User

Apr 26, 2016
    IT consultant
    Derby UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi there - I have a nice functioning Waltham which struggled to wind. So I got the back off to see that the problem seems to lie with the ratchet wheel missing a tooth - is there any way I can fix this - or is it just a question of looking for a suitable "spare or repair" wheel - pocket watch DB says it's a model 1888 made in 1894 - scale is in mm

Sat Jan 26 18-30-07.jpg

2. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Forums Administrator
    NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Male
    Watch Parts Dealer
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Britannicus,
    Since this is more of a repair question, I'm going to move it to Watch Repair.

3. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would look for another, I have a bunch of parts that I can look through to see if I have anything that matches.

4. karlmansson

karlmansson Registered User

Apr 20, 2013
    Doctor
    Linköping, Sweden
    Country Flag:
    Is it a steel or a brass wheel? If it’s brass (which it probably isn’t) it can be salvaged by making a dove tail recess where the root of the broken tooth is. You can then insert a matching brass piece with enough protruding for you to be able to form a new tooth with very fine files or, if you have it, a form tool on a milling machine. It’s very delicate work and if you haven’t done it on a clock before, I would hesitate to do it.

For clocks you can add a little bit of soft solder to keep the piece in there axially. For a watch I think the best would be to peen the inlay piece stuck. I have never done it on a watch though, just know that soft solder has no business in watches.

Still, if you get the chance to do it on a clock I can recommend it. Very satisfying!

Best regards
    Karl

5. Chris Radek

Chris Radek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Male
    Watchmaker (now accepting new customers)
    Lincoln, NE, USA
    Country Flag:
    Be aware this is probably a result, not the cause, of the hard winding. If you put in a new wheel without a correct repair and service you might just break the second one. Plain lack of service can sure do this, but so can various kinds of wear.

6. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Britannicus,

Whilst Karl's suggestion is technically possible, on a steel wheel like this you'd really need to use a hard solder to make it secure, but there's no way you could do that without ruining the cosmetic appearance of a damaskeened wheel like this. I think peening it in wouldn't work here because these wheels are pretty hard, and it would still leave ugly marks however carefully it was done.

Regards,

Graham

karlmansson likes this.
  7. pocketsrforwatches

pocketsrforwatches Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Retired from IBM, now a Watchmaker
    Ticonderoga, NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think I have what you need. PM your email and I'll send you a picture. I'll mail it to you N/C if you can use it.

Roger

8. karlmansson

karlmansson Registered User

Apr 20, 2013
    Doctor
    Linköping, Sweden
    Country Flag:
    I agree Graham! Note that I wrote that if it is NOT steel. Slim chance for a ratchet wheel but it was hard to tell from the picture.

9. Ticktinker

Ticktinker Registered User

Jul 7, 2015
    Male
    Construction Inspector
    Houston Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not sure if it would interchange but I have a donor model 1894.
    Perhaps if you posted an outside diameter... I could check against what I have.