Tool recommendation

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by heifetz17, Oct 28, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. heifetz17

heifetz17 Registered User

Apr 8, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I'd like to get started learning how to service/repair watches. I've overhauled many clock movements and this seems to be an appropriate next step in the hobby.

Where can I get a good set of beginners tools? I get most of my clock equipment from Timesavers, but they seem rather limited on watch equipment. I'm looking for the following specifically, and I'd like to order everything from one place if possible:

*case holder
    *movement holder
    *screwdriver set
    *crystal lift
    *blower
    *tweezers
    *case opening wrench
    *crystal press
    *anything else recommended for starting out

I already have a blade case opener. Can I use the same hand puller I use on clock movements?

A few of my watches have screw on backs similar to the attached photo (not my photo). What tool do I need to remove these backs?

UWIT_11-7-18-10154_800x.jpg

2. karlmansson

karlmansson Registered User

Apr 20, 2013
    Doctor
    Linköping, Sweden
    Country Flag:
    Hey heifetz!

The short answer is that there are no tool kits worth their salt. You can get complete Bergeon or Horotec kits that are good but those are normally a couple of thousand dollars.

What most people do is to buy as the need arises and buy used tools. Look in the horological tools forum and I think you will find that this question has been asked and answered a number of times before!

Best of luck!

Karl

iamahawki likes this.
  3. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Forums Administrator
    NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Male
    Watch Parts Dealer
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I second Karl's recommendation. For the most part, look for quality used tools. Much better than some of the stuff that is being put together as 'kits' today. Read about what you want to do, the acquire the tools necessary to do that job. Before long, you will have a nice set of tools.

iamahawki likes this.
  4. f.webster

f.webster Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 18, 2009
    Male
    Service/Restoration of Clocks and Mechanical Music
    Louisville, KY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have done clocks for years....I am also new to adventuring into watch repair. When I was considering what tools I was going to need to begin with, I looked at the "Tool List" for the suitcase class F301 Basic Pocket Watch Repair. There I found a list of 16 or so tools that the student was required to supply and also the list of tools that the Instructor would furnish. From these lists I got an idea of what the "basic" tools required might look like. Some of the tools I received from encouraging mentors and other I already had. The initial investment was minimal. Warning: As you work through repairs, you will realize which tools need to be better and which need to be best. Additional investment will be required. I adapted the advise shared here and have purchased tools as their need came up.