NAWCC Business
NAWCC Fellow
Sponsor
Feb 11, 2005
Camarillo, CA
www.daveswatchparts.com
Country
Region
Post your request for tools and tool parts here. Please post a follow-up, or notify me by Private Message, when your request has been satisfied so I can remove your request. Please conduct any transactions by Private Message.

wefalck

Mar 29, 2011
Paris
Country
There are some parts I have been looking for for decades to complete my lathe sets (Lorch, Schmidt & Co. and Wolf, Jahn & Co.):

- A 90° steady for D-bed lathes (I only ever saw one on ebay and didn't get it):
LS-58c.jpg

- A collet-holding screw-tailstock for WW-lathes

- A rotating head-stock for WW-lathes

- A set of or individual wheel-chucks for a WW-lathe:
LS-76.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kevin h

MNowlin

NAWCC Member
Dec 29, 2011
Looking for a Jig Bore

I'm looking for a Jig Bore. I prefer a Hauser M1, 2A3, or 2BA. I'm open to other models if comparable.

Thanks!

robmack

Jun 22, 2013
Toronto, CANADA
Country
K&D Inverto 17 Anvil Plate wanted

I'm looking for the anvil plate ONLY for a K&D Inverto 17 staking tool. The anvil plate I currently have my Inverto 17 seems not to be original, because there are holes spread over the plate, that some of the holes don't line up to the arm and there is no hole large enough to accept a stake in the inverted position. I am not too fussy on condition of the plate so long as it is serviceable.

ssohner

NAWCC Member
Dec 19, 2015
Country
Region
I am looking for collets for this lathe: Massachusetts Lathe The collets differ from most lathe collets in that the draw bar has external threads and the collet has internal threads.

RodJB

Dec 13, 2008
Richmond BC Canada / Kirkintilloch Scotland
Country
Region
I'M LOOKING FOR SOME OLD RUBY RED AGATE OIL POTS OR CUPS FOR A BERGEON 4 CUP OILER. MINE IS MISSING THE 2 LARGER POTS ON THE RIGHT. I ALSO HAVE SOME WOODEN OIL CUPS THAT ARE MISSING THEIR INSERTS AS WELL. ANYONE HAVE ANY SPARES OR KNOW A REASONABLE SOURCE?
THEY MEASURE ROUGHLY ABOUT 17mm ACROSS.
_DSC9537.JPG

MartinM

Jun 24, 2011
El Dorado, CA
Country
Region
Looking for a C. E. Marshall/Moseley #11 stump for closing cannons.

motormaker

Apr 5, 2010
Tucson, AZ
I am looking for a watchmakers' lathe countershaft similar to one of these. It needs to be fully functional but not necessarily pristine (I want to use it). Thanks.
Jim
countershaft1.jpg countershaft2.jpg

wefalck

Mar 29, 2011
Paris
Country
There are some parts I have been looking for for decades to complete my lathe sets (Lorch, Schmidt & Co. and Wolf, Jahn & Co.):

- A 90° steady for D-bed lathes (I only ever saw one on ebay and didn't get it):
View attachment 399611
Forgot to mention that about a year ago finally another one turned up on ebay. Got it, but don't ask me about the price ;) Became a Christmas gift from my wife ...

wefalck

Mar 29, 2011
Paris
Country
I didn't get around to set up the 6 mm with this 90° tailstock, but here are a couple of (edited) picture from the auction:

Lorch-58e-1-72.jpg

Lorch-58e-2-72.jpg

The tailstock has the same taper as the other tailstocks. I am not sure why the inclined face of the insert faces upward in all old catalogue pictures, as the pressure from the tool would deflect the part upward and, therefore, the inclined face should face downward. However, the face has a slight V-groove milled in and perhaps that is sufficient to prevent the deflection of very delicate parts. I will have to experiment with it and make a few inserts myself.

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi wefalck,

I am not sure why the inclined face of the insert faces upward in all old catalogue pictures, as the pressure from the tool would deflect the part upward and, therefore, the inclined face should face downward.
Surely it would be the right way up if mounted behind the bed, as the pictures suggest it was?

Regards,

Graham

wefalck

Mar 29, 2011
Paris
Country
When the tool is set at centre-height or a tad below, as is common, the workpiece will be deflected upwards by the tool-pressure. Hence, a steady should act to keep the work-piece down. Also, if the face is up, the lower edge would interfere with the cutting tool.

cbaron

Jan 19, 2012
Jersey City, NJ
I'm looking for a set of 8mm lathe collets, I'm not particular about the specific maker as long as they all match. Ideally a set of 50+. Thanks!

Duncan Luddite

Nov 20, 2018
Country
When the tool is set at centre-height or a tad below, as is common, the workpiece will be deflected upwards by the tool-pressure. Hence, a steady should act to keep the work-piece down. Also, if the face is up, the lower edge would interfere with the cutting tool.
G'day Wefalk,
I know it's been a while since you posted, and you might have it all sussed out by now, but I was wondering if the upward facing bevel is because the friction from the rotation of the work-piece will make it try to 'drive' down the surface of the steady, and therefore move the work-piece towards the cutter slightly, which is pushing back the other way slightly, and so cancel each other out?
Just thinking about the physics of it all and I may be completely wrong, but the 'old guys' knew what they were doing, and it's something I have to remind myself of regularly, when reading antique shoemaking books, when something seems odd to give the old way a try, and I often have an 'Ah Ha' moment :)
Cheers
Duncan

wefalck

Mar 29, 2011
Paris
Country
Only saw your comment today. In a way you may be right. And yes, these designs were based on experience, not on theoretical engineering considerations. I haven't used this implement yet in anger in order to be able to comment with my own experience.
I gather, the cutter must be very precisely at centre-height, as the downward forces from the friction cannot be very heigh - if the cutter was only a tad below centre-height, there is a tendency for the work-piece to jump up and over the cutting edge, particularly with softer materials (which is a practical experience I had many times).

Reactions: Duncan Luddite

RodJB

Dec 13, 2008
Country
Region
I'M LOOKING FOR SOME OLD RUBY RED AGATE OIL POTS OR CUPS FOR A BERGEON 4 CUP OILER. MINE IS MISSING THE 2 LARGER POTS ON THE RIGHT. I ALSO HAVE SOME WOODEN OIL CUPS THAT ARE MISSING THEIR INSERTS AS WELL. ANYONE HAVE ANY SPARES OR KNOW A REASONABLE SOURCE?
THEY MEASURE ROUGHLY ABOUT 17mm ACROSS.
View attachment 478102
Still looking for these...

Llamazares Gil

Dec 15, 2016
Country
hello, I would be interested in buying a second hand 8mm watchmaker's lathe.
I would need to have accessory slide rest accessory.
Thanks

Pete Cronos

NAWCC Silver Member
Nov 25, 2002
Jonesboro, Arkansas
Country
Region
I recently picked up a Levin Offset Head # 0662-03. I did find it listed in one
of their catalogs under contact lens tooling.
It is listed as having a male #2 B&S taper.
I am looking for tooling such as a drill chuck, and other items that
have a female #2 B&S Taper.

ratch

Nov 7, 2018
Country
Anyone have a webster mainspring winder laying around and want to get rid of it ?

turboflyer

NAWCC Member
Feb 17, 2016
Country
I have had this lathe for some time. 8mm. Just can’t seem to pull the trigger on a sherline. I am hopeful to find a headstock chuck and tailstock chuck . Most of the collets are Mosley. Thanks

2E49A0B2-56EC-42A3-93B7-413662DAB92D.jpeg 37B82635-18CB-40A6-A8F3-1E0471BA23A4.jpeg

wefalck

Mar 29, 2011
Paris
Country
The bed is a Boley reform, but the wax chuck (converted to driving centre, I suppose) you showed, is a Mosley conoidal, not WW. Is the headstock Boley or Mosley ? If the headstock is Boley, these are not the right collets.

If the headstock is Boley, it should be no problem to find various makes of three-jaw chucks on WW-arbors that fit.

What do you mean by 'tailstock chuck' ?

turboflyer

NAWCC Member
Feb 17, 2016
Country
The bed is a Boley reform, but the wax chuck (converted to driving centre, I suppose) you showed, is a Mosley conoidal, not WW. Is the headstock Boley or Mosley ? If the headstock is Boley, these are not the right collets.

If the headstock is Boley, it should be no problem to find various makes of three-jaw chucks on WW-arbors that fit.

What do you mean by 'tailstock chuck' ?
That is one of the Mosley headstock cutters. I thought the tail stock could be fitted with a drill chuck but obviously needs the right shaft size. Seems like everything I look at get to be stupid money, more than the sherline. I thought the I thought the bed and head were the same.

RodJB

Dec 13, 2008
Country
Region
LEVIN STAKES WANTED & Levin staking set instructions/manual:
I am looking for the following Levin stakes... The numbers I need are no. 1, 31, 96. 99, 101 thru to 108, and 111 thru to 120

The manual may have a map of the different stakes so I could maybe replace some of the missing ones with another brand?

Betzel

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2010
Country
Region
LOOKING FOR A KNURLED NOT FOR A BOLEY TAILSTOCK SPINDLE CLAMP.
SEE ARROW
Hi Rod,

These are commercially available in sizes like M3 and M4 in chemically blackened high carbon steel. Do a search for DIN 466, and look at pictures of the Boley sets.

The DIN dimensions are perfect for the upper thumbscrew. Blue it if you like, but the processing is very good and the color matches the G. Boley OEM from their hammer-tone sets precisely. I think the nickel sets used blued trim, but don't have one. I trimmed one of these down to fit and added a notch (almost OEM) from what I purchased online, and sold the other two (I had to buy a minimum of three) on eBay to pay for mine! IIRC, they are a straight knurl, rather than checkered, and also take a small brass washer, so go whole hog (why not?). If another user can post a picture of theirs, you can measure your threads, order one and mount it up to cut it to very closely resemble the original. Make the washer and Bob's your uncle.

Looks and works perfectly. I think I did one for the collet holding (larger) as well as the runner (smaller). Good luck!

Reactions: RodJB

Betzel

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2010
Country
Region
Hi all,

Want some G. Boley / BTM "Geneva" style tailstock parts? These are from an old D-bed or triangle.

I'm not selling anything, just giving stuff away. They're not branded or perfect, but useful. If there's no interest, then I'm scrapping them: It's a large, cast iron, nickel plated double pulley for a 6.6mm tailstock (or turns) fits on your spindle shaft. These were for turning larger work between centers. It's only the pulley and you'll have to make the arm, etc. The taper does not fit the 7mm W-J / Lorch / Generics, or I would keep it :) It fits the G. Boley. Also have a 6.6mm shaft sized jacot drum (slots are 2,5-11). I would rub it with some diamond paste, then use it, but it doesn't fit my stuff. Both are probably 100 years old...

All I am asking for is postage via PP. PM me (do not reply here) if you can use this stuff and cover the postage. I'm in the EU, so that's the drawback.

Backsides.jpg

Reactions: RodJB

RodJB

Dec 13, 2008
Country
Region
Hi all,

Want some G. Boley / BTM "Geneva" style tailstock parts? These are from an old D-bed or triangle.

I'm not selling anything, just giving stuff away. They're not branded or perfect, but useful. If there's no interest, then I'm scrapping them: It's a large, cast iron, nickel plated double pulley for a 6.6mm tailstock (or turns) fits on your spindle shaft. These were for turning larger work between centers. It's only the pulley and you'll have to make the arm, etc. The taper does not fit the 7mm W-J / Lorch / Generics, or I would keep it :) It fits the G. Boley. Also have a 6.6mm shaft sized jacot drum (slots are 2,5-11). I would rub it with some diamond paste, then use it, but it doesn't fit my stuff. Both are probably 100 years old...

All I am asking for is postage via PP. PM me (do not reply here) if you can use this stuff and cover the postage. I'm in the EU, so that's the drawback.

View attachment 626833
pm sent

Shannon Nuckols

NAWCC Member
Apr 1, 2021
Valley of Virginia
Country
Region
Post your request for tools and tool parts here. Please post a follow-up, or notify me by Private Message, when your request has been satisfied so I can remove your request. Please conduct any transactions by Private Message.
Need Complete Staking set in Good condition and small ligne(banquette) mainspring winder set. The Ebay and Etsy sets are over priced and in poor condition. Thank you

Dells

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2019
In the cotswolds UK
Country
Region
I am looking for a milling attachment for a Derbyshire Magnus 10mm lathe the beds are the same on 8mm lathe as well, I am in the UK but am willing to buy and pay postage I know it’s a long shot but more chance of someone in USA having one than here in UK so if anyone has one they are willing to sell please PM me .
Thanks in advance Dell

RodJB

Dec 13, 2008
Country
Region
Hardinge Dale combination movement holder parts needed...
I'm looking for some missing pieces for one of these movement holders.
I need one of each part indicated by red arrows
I need three of the piece indicated by the blue arrow.
20thcenturycatal00purd_0065 - Copy (2).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbietina
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Bushing Using Hand Tools by Tom McIntyre