Too few responses

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by dweiss17, Dec 30, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Looks like the Members News and Views have shot its load; inaugurated by me on October 26, 2010, with the help of director John Webb. It seems unless I post something of interest.e
    silence in reply is fairly nil. We've had nearly 3000,000 hits and many postings and replies to the postings by others and myself.

It could be the Holidays for its lack of response, but I suspect too many people are reluctant to sit before their computers and repost a few words, that are interesting to all.

one liners or such phrases as "me too: does not make for interesting reading. Of course, we must take into consideration...we do a huge lack of correspondents on this Members News and Forum Venue...close to 14,000 members and few words.

So life marches on.

2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    People are busy with many things. Not everyone is interested to post or make remarks in this forum, its just how it is Dan.

3. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan,

I have over 14,000 posts on this MB. That is POSTS, not THREADS! I often answer questions asked by those who originated the thread. I continue to be astonished at how often there is no reply from the OP as to whether my information was helpful, or not. But I keep on keeping on! Sort of like when you are driving, and you slow down to allow someone to merge in front of you. Half of them don't acknowledge your courtesy with a wave, or a couple blinks from there hazard lights. Sometimes I wonder why I bother, but I keep doing it! People are people!

4. PWfanatik

PWfanatik Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Building trades Project Manager
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Some of us looking at posts here may be newbies like me, about a year into a difficult hobby, and do not want to make mis-informed posts.
    Looking and saying yep is the best some can do even if they have a strong understanding of the subject, maybe nothing comes to the front of our gray matter to add to the thread...
    My 2 cents.
    Dave.

5. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Hello Doug:

The one thing important in horology is the camaraderie that follows from this all-engulfing hobby. That you answers the needs of others is more than great...it shows we are under the skin...kin. Sometimes, it bothers me that we do not get replied to even by one person when we proceed to make a post or try to help them.

I guess that is the nature of the beast and perhaps, today, I let the beast get in the way of my feelings. Still I think I have the perfect right to complain when there is no response to a thought that I feel is at the heart of our existence. Six years ago...there was no communication channel between members - except by private mail.

6. PWfanatik

PWfanatik Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Building trades Project Manager
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I feel when I make a new thread, it is my responsibility to act as a host in that thread, for the benefit of all, and for my benefit cause new related communication in the thread.