Too fast

Dave w D

May 15, 2021
Country
Hello, I have a Seth Thomas , legacy-3w the clock runs good and the chime works great but gains 15 minutes and hour! I have tried adjusting + and - but But doesn't seam to make a difference. Am I missing something? Thanks

Dave w D

May 15, 2021
Country
I'm sorry I'm totally new to this and didn't know I have to set beat, it was working great and just recently started to gain time so any help would be appreciated

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
A photo of what you have there would help, mainly the movement.

Your symptom is a very common one. It's often caused by a worn escapement.

Most of the time the flaw can be corrected (temporarily) by moving the pallets slightly closer to the escape wheel. The escape wheel teeth MUST always drop onto the slightly curved upper (dead) faces of the pallets.

The "beat" on your clock would most likely be set automatically.

Willie X

Dave w D

May 15, 2021
Country
A photo of what you have there would help, mainly the movement.

Your symptom is a very common one. It's often caused by a worn escapement.

Most of the time the flaw can be corrected (temporarily) by moving the pallets slightly closer to the escape wheel. The escape wheel teeth MUST always drop onto the slightly curved upper (dead) faces of the pallets.

The "beat" on your clock would most likely be set automatically.

Willie X

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
That's a very different clock from what I was thinking ... Disregard previous post.

Your clock is at least 33 years old, a good bit past it's service life. When a Hermle balance wheel clock starts to wear badly they loose power and this causes them to gain time.

So, I would say that your clock will need a complete overhaul, or a new replacement movement. In my shop, the repair cost is usually close to the replacement cost. So, I replace most them.

This model was made for a long time and some of the older ones are actually a better candidate for repair than the newer ones.

The age of your clock can be determined by the info at the lower right corner of the back plate.

Willie X

Reactions: Dick Feldman

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
That little balance wheel should turn about 360°. If Willie's assessment is correct, it will be turning considerably less than that. It's a way to verify what he posted, so you can plan your best options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kawasemi
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Forums Rules by Steven Thornberry