today's reading...

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by bruce linde, May 18, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    my sister called to let me know our 13-year-old niece has a new business: she'll read to you for $15/hr, and you can pay her online. :cool:

my sister used half an hour of the initial session she purchased and gave me a half an hour to use.

we had our reading today... 'wooden works movements' from tom temple's extreme restoration. even with multiple 'oh, that's so cool!' from the reader, it was a fun and educational experience. :cool:

i wasn't sure whether to post this here, in clock repair general, or in any of the on-going discussions about how to educate and interest the next generation of clock addicts... but today was about wooden works movements, so here we are.

note: as she was reading i was picturing her doing the same for R. Croswell, Jim DuBois, etc., to help guide them as they work. :cool:

D.th.munroe, PatH and musicguy like this.
  2. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Interesting new business for a 13 year old. I don't think it would it would work for me because I would run up a huge bill. I tried an audio book once but I kept falling to sleep after a few minutes and had to keep starting over. I expect there are a lot of older people in nursing homes that would love to have a kid read to them, especially now that in person contact is not allowed.

RC

3. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have more than 200 books on audio. I have listened to them all, several more than once. I find a good book to be a good book, be it written or audio. I listen to them while on the road. Keeps me awake but does not distract me (much?). Great for long trips. Listen to them while mowing the lawn. Or working in the shop. I will say that when absolute concentration is required by a task, it goes better with the book off.

Oh, and a bad book is also bad no matter how they are delivered.

4. PatH

PatH Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jim DuBois, if it's a book on CD, just remember to make sure the player is not on "shuffle" mode! Fortunately, not my experience speaking there, but it was a true story...

bruce linde, that would be so encouraging - seeing/hearing the things we take for granted through the lens of a newbie. I wish her luck on her new venture.

Jim DuBois likes this.
  5. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow Sponsor NAWCC Diamond Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your niece would have to use something like Zoom to read to me so she could stop after every page to hold up the book to show me the pictures of clocks, just like they did in kindergarten. <grin>

Reminds me about when I was in high school and had to read "Wuthering Heights." My wife loves that book and has read it at least four times. But when I was in high school, I kept falling asleep on the FIRST PAGE! Never was able to get any farther into it.

Frank

6. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    all part of my nefarious plan... even non-clockies 'get it' when they photos of wooden gears and i explain how that came to be.

i'm thinking next week i will have her read the 'simon willard' chapter of foley's 'willard's patent timepieces'.

i swear, i'm going to get that child hooked on clocks! :cool:

MartinM and PatH like this.
  7. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think she's hooked on your money...

Good luck with her mentoring.

Tom

8. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    i don't know... every time the girls (used to) come over they would be pointing at clocks and saying "i want that one." :cool:

Kevin W. likes this.
  9. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You do have a nice collection from what I've seen. I can say the same thing about a few of them.

Tom