• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Today's Estate Auction Find

JB

NAWCC Member
Dec 27, 2006
Country
Region
This morning I managed to pick this clock up at a local estate auction.
I'm not familiar with these clocks nor is it my style. I know it's French and looking at the movement it looks to be old and of quality workmanship. So it's worth a gamble at $400.00. Only now am I realizing it has a silk suspension, is that right? It's not signed but it is marked with a stamp F. 1038
I took the pictures while in the case so they're not too clear. It has a rack and snail with a star shaped pinwheel behind the snail.
The only bad thing at this point is that I suspect a spring is missing as I see a threaded hole with a hole beside it and a lever above it that could probably use one. Where am I going to find a spring or can I make one? When I get it out of the case I'll get some better pictures and deal with that then.

What sort of date would you put on this clock? and could you tell me anything more about it? Where would I look for a makers name, it's not on the dial?

Thanks again,
Joe

Attachments

Last edited:

Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member
Jun 30, 2002
Brooklyn
Country
Region
Joe,

You have a very nice Austrian (Viennese) clock. There are several threads about these clocks on the board. One in particular was started by Sooth a year or so ago. These clocks generally run one or two days on a winding. They sometimes have three trains and are grand sonnerie. Yours has two trains but it looks as though there may be some complications such as repeating work. Is there one gong or two?

I would guess the date at 1810-1840.

There could be a maker's name engraved somewhere on the movement, but probably not.

Often these cases are in dreadful condition, but yours looks good, including the dial and very nice hands. The pendulum might not be correct. Congrats on a nice find!

JB

NAWCC Member
Dec 27, 2006
Country
Region
Jeremy,thanks for the info. There is only one gong. It's running so we'll see how long it goes.

Regards,
Joe

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
Nice item, these are always interesting clocks, an observation about them however...in my experience they are very tough to sell. I have known collectors of virtually any and every kind of clock known to man, except "30 hr Austrian (Viennese) " clocks. I have owned a number of them in a number of case styles.....I think it is the 30hr atribute that kills them to many folks. That, and they tend to be more fragile than many clocks. This is the last one I owned,,,

Attachments

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
Joe,

Your pictures aren't too good... but from what I can see, I'd be more inclined to think Franche-Compte/Swiss ....though the case looks Viennese. A lot of the Swiss cases are wooden. The hands do not look Viennese to me.

JMHO,

Jim, I'd like to have had a chance at your clock ;) .. I like those Viennese bracket clocks.

Ralph

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
Ralph,

I wish I had known your were a potiential buyer....I more or less gave it away. I thought it was a pretty neat little clock given its original paint and the like. I bought it from a big time gallery owner as it came to him with a bunch of "stuff". And about a year later it was sitting on my shelf awaiting restoration when a well known dealer offered me substantially less than I paid for it....after a bit of haggling he left with it anyhow as I had figured out there was no way the needed work would ever pay for itself to my customer base....at that time. I have passed a couple of similar critters since, but not with the paint, the next one I see I will send you photos and give you a phone number....

JB

NAWCC Member
Dec 27, 2006
Country
Region
I took the movement out of the case. For some better pictures. There looks to be a spring missing on what I'm calling the release lever. The time barrel is much larger than the strike barrel, maybe thats normal, but I'm hoping to get a couple days of running.
Anybody here with the intials "R.B." scribe them on the plate in 7/92? They did a fancy job of it.
Also, and maybe my terminolgy is off, but the cam with the release pins looks to be out of place in its color, it looks to be painted.

Some maybe crinching if they notice i'm holding it with a vise, but there is protection there, just so you know:)

Thanks,
Joe

Attachments

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helplessfanatic12
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-