Today, September 26, 2016

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by dweiss17, Sep 26, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Yesterday, September 25, 2016 was a day the sky was a light blue without a cloud as far as human eye could see it; the temperature was 74° with a very slight wind.

It was the perfect day for the burial of my sister Reba, who passed away about two months, less a few days of her 98[SUP]th[/SUP] birthday on November 23[SUP]rd[/SUP]. Some of the gathering work pants and jackets, other in their regular summer garb. The assembled members besides her son and me, her brother; were offspring of my parents children and some of my sister’s longtime friends.

The Rabbi leading the services was quiet good and not of the older school of those that lead such sad services. In fact, as a near to 101 year old, I asked him to perform at my services when the time comes I shall be the last of the family that came to America in the very early 1900s. Although practically all were born in Romania and possibly Russia…all my parents nine children were born the land of the free and brave. As is the custom lunch or dinner comprised of 14 people who attended the services…others choose only to pay their respects at the burial site.

Thankfully, this sadness in this day in my long life was not one that consumed the entire spirit of the day, the Eagle’s dominated the Pittsburgh Steelers it helped to salvage a day that would have been filled with the unfailing memory of what had transpired earlier in this unforgettable day in my exceptionally long life.

It is apparent though Reba is no longer with us physically, I am positive in the Jewish tradition she will always remain in the hearts of her son and brother, and family relatives and friends.