tobias pocket watch....dont know how old it is?

Doug Villa

Sep 8, 2016
Country
I have a tobias pocket watch,don't know how old it might be can anyone help me with that?

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Doug, and welcome,

We can't tell you anything about your watch without a little more information from you; starting with some pictures, preferably clear close ups of the movement, dial and any marks on the inside of the case. Otherwise I'll have to resort to mind-reading and clairvoyance, because my crystal ball is in for a service!

Regards,

Graham

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi LloydB,

Ah, but that's probably because you aren't so far away as I am!

The 19th century is a given, whether it's by MI or one of his many Swiss admirers . . .

Regards,

Graham

Lychnobius

Aug 5, 2015
Redruth, Cornwall, UK
Country
Here is one point which may narrow the field a little even if no images are available: - If, when you open the back of the case, the inner lid which is then revealed is (a) hinged, (b) pierced with two keyholes and (c) engraved with the maker's name and town, the watch is almost certainly an anonymous Swiss product with a false name on it, dating from around the middle of the nineteenth century. If on the other hand this inner lid is fixed, has only one keyhole and bears no lettering except possibly some kind of presentation inscription, there is a good chance that the piece is a genuine product of one of the Tobiases (Morris, Meyer Isaac, or S. I. whose full names I have forgotten). In that event it may be somewhat older; Morris at least was working at the very beginning of the century.

Oliver Mundy.

LloydB

Feb 24, 2006
La Crosse, Wisconsin's West Coast
Country
Region
Hi LloydB,

Ah, but that's probably because you aren't so far away as I am!

The 19th century is a given, whether it's by MI or one of his many Swiss admirers . . .

Regards,

Graham
This crystal ball of mine is well known for revealing the obvious ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Facemaster7
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller