To Reverse Paint or not to paint

Discussion in 'Reverse Glass and Dial Painting' started by Royce, Dec 16, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Royce

Royce Registered User

Oct 8, 2018
    Male
    Retired
    Houston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looking for an opinion for you restoration experts. Attached is a plate from an Ingraham Venetian Clock I acquired at an estate sale. The plate was broken which I attempted to repair; obviously did not do a very good job. Used Bob Smith Insta-Cure; guess I should have used Hxtal. Anyway, as you can see, the black reverse painting has had some flake off issues. Thoughts on whether I should repair those areas or leave as is would be most appreciated. If I should repair those areas, what would you suggest? My thoughts are not to do anything with the Mosaic portion. Thanks!
    Ingraham Plate.JPG

2. klokwiz

klokwiz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2009
    WRENCH
    Annapolis, MD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Royce,

If I understand you have glued the glass where it was cracked? if that is the case then if you are satisfied with the re-glue, I would touch-up the missing black spots which is the main detractor. With the glass installed in clock the missing black will not be as noticeable so you may want to look at it that way before doing anything.

The black may have simply been paint or ink or asphaultum which is a tar like substance.

Joe

3. Royce

Royce Registered User

Oct 8, 2018
    Male
    Retired
    Houston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Joe.

4. klokwiz

klokwiz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2009
    WRENCH
    Annapolis, MD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Royce, your welcome, hope it was helpful. Joe .