Tissot Antimagnetique?

James The Swede

Feb 23, 2019
Country
Hi all, I would like to know if this is a Military watch or not I think I found out it was from 1946 with the serial number 1696945, but what would make it a military watch? Many thanks in advance for any answers ;) the serial number is 1696945

IMG_4616[1].JPG IMG_4617[1].JPG IMG_4621[1].JPG IMG_4619[1].JPG IMG_4620[1].JPG IMG_4621[1].JPG

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
Nothing striking about it to indicate military use The caliber (which should be stamped under the balance) likely cal. 27-3 was made between 1940-1949 The addition of "Swiss" on the train bridge under Tissot was after 1944.
If your serial number is 1946 then highly likely it was not issued as a military watch.

Military case markings are not present.

James The Swede

Feb 23, 2019
Country
Nothing striking about it to indicate military use The caliber (which should be stamped under the balance) likely cal. 27-3 was made between 1940-1949 The addition of "Swiss" on the train bridge under Tissot was after 1944.
If your serial number is 1946 then highly likely it was not issued as a military watch.

Military case markings are not present.
Hi thanks the serial number is not 1946, I just looked at one of their databases and put in 1696945 and it said "your watch is from 1946"

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
Military or not, it's a nice looking watch from the forties. That said, there are numerous sellers online that refer to watches as "military" that re not actually, or at least technically, military watches. And in some ways you might be better off that it isn't, as many of the military cases were not stainless steel, but rather some sort of coated base metal that tends to pit and flake over time. They are still nice as being actual military watches, complete with military contract markings on the back.

FWIW, I would not be too surprised if Tissot actually did contract with some European country(ies) to make watches for their military. I am no expert in such things though. I just wouldn't be surprised.

US military watches seem to have been mostly Waltham or Elgin, with some being made by Bulova and Hamilton, FWIW. Cheers.

James The Swede

Feb 23, 2019
Country
Military or not, it's a nice looking watch from the forties. That said, there are numerous sellers online that refer to watches as "military" that re not actually, or at least technically, military watches. And in some ways you might be better off that it isn't, as many of the military cases were not stainless steel, but rather some sort of coated base metal that tends to pit and flake over time. They are still nice as being actual military watches, complete with military contract markings on the back.

FWIW, I would not be too surprised if Tissot actually did contract with some European country(ies) to make watches for their military. I am no expert in such things though. I just wouldn't be surprised.

US military watches seem to have been mostly Waltham or Elgin, with some being made by Bulova and Hamilton, FWIW. Cheers.
Thanks very much