Tips On Restoring Painted Glass on Advertising Clock

Discussion in 'Reverse Glass and Dial Painting' started by henry2112, Dec 25, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. henry2112

henry2112 New Member

Dec 25, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi. I was hoping to retouch some of the flaked off paint on this clock and was hoping to get some advice on what type of paint to use, techniques, etc. The clock has two bulbs that illuminate from the inside. Thanks in advance.

20181225_113931[1].jpg 20181225_114706[1].jpg

2. klokwiz

klokwiz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2009
    WRENCH
    Annapolis, MD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Henry, welcome to the message board.

Since this is back lighted I think you will have a great deal of trouble "touching" it up. I say that because the areas you touchup no matter what is used will be greatly exaggerated as defects by the back lighting. In my opinion the entire ad will have to be stripped and redone to get any thing like the original look of the dial. Frankly you might be better off leaving it as is. Joe

henry2112 likes this.
  3. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Looks just like the Pam advertising clocks I've had. They were a prolific NYC area company that produced advertising clocks of all sorts from the '40's or '50's into the '70's. They advertised major brands/companies and not so major.

Age and often the heat of the light bulbs caused deterioration of the reverse decoration on the glass dial. I use low voltage LED bulbs which don't generate much heat to reduce the chance of that.

My recollection is that the advertising is almost like a transfer or printing process, not a reverse painting per se.

I agree with the advice to leave it be.

It's not bad and attempts to inpaint may actually accentuate the defects.

By the way, be really careful with that little tab at the end of the metal strip that retains the glass over the dial. They're flimsy and break easily. When they do, it's a real problem as that strip is what holds everything together and that tab secures everything in place. So, break it, you're in trouble.

For more info about these back lit advertising clocks, see "Advertising Clocks: America's Timeless Heritage" by Michael Brunner.

There is a clock advertising Teem on page 65 but it's not like yours.

Teem was apparently Pepsi's answer to Sprite and 7-Up. It was introduced in the '60's and discontinued in the early '80's.

It was marketed in the US and Canada. So consistent with that, I have found ones on-line just like yours in French and English versions! In fact, a search for them on eBay will yield examples. Sorry, not permitted to link to an active auction.

RM

henry2112 likes this.