Tips and Tricks: Temporary installation of bridges to ease stem placement.

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
Greetings all,

Forgive me if I have mentioned this before, or if it is common knowledge, or perhaps painfully obvious. I don't think I've seen the technique described in any books I've read.

I was reminded of this little trick as I worked on a second Accutron challenge on my bench. Setting up the keyless work, i.e., the stem, winding pinion, and clutch, can present challenges when trying to keep them in position while working go get the set-lever in place. I can't remember which watch I started using this technique on, but it has made assembling a bit easier for me.

The Accutron 2181 I'm working on has a different sort of part on the stem called a "date corrector". It does, however, install a lot like a conventional winding pinion. As I struggled for a second or two trying to drop the stem partially into the pillar plate as I threaded the corrector and clutch on, I remembered how I avoid the frustration. I temporarily install whatever bridge (Along with the detent screw so I can install the set-lever.) serves to back up the winding stem. One or two screws will suffice. I am then able to drop the winding pinion/date corrector (In Accutron) and clutch into their respective places. The parts stay there now, backed up by the bridge, until I install the stem and set-lever. Easy, peazy. At least it is for meezy.

I hope this helps those who may not have figured it out for themselves yet.Cheers.

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
This technique is especially useful for negative set pocket watches where the stem is part of the case and the clutch wheel and winding pinion are particularly prone to falling out during assembly (or at least they are in my hands).

Reactions: MrRoundel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PeteABC123
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-