Tiny Cuckoo Clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by KurtinSA, Jul 31, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A cousin asked me if I might be able to look at this clock and see if it would run again. She has zero expectations, so the pressure is off!! It has a broken minute hand. I presume the hands just press off/on. Will need to find some replacements. No key...will have to try and measure the arbor. I thought those were small screws holding the dial on, but they appear to be maybe small nails. I haven't been able to pull the back plate off...I don't have any tools right now to work with. She didn't give me a pendulum, so I'm checking on that.

Has something like this come up on the forum before? As you can see from the pen, it's about 5-6 inches tall.

Thanks...Kurt
    View attachment 352064 View attachment 352065

2. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    Most of these have a pendulum. It is a novelty clock and there is
    no pendulum suspension. It hangs right on the crutch/leader.
    It is a fun clock. I'm not sure what search would be best to find
    others on the MB but there are others like this.
    Tinker Dwight

3. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  4. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #4 shutterbug, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    Here's the pendulum for it, and here's the key. That back plate should just slide right off by applying a bit of pressure downward on the plate. You'll be able to adjust the beat inside the back of the case by bending the leader a little. One of these sets of hands should match what you have. BTW, the little mechanical movement in that last link will probably be the one inside your clock. If push comes to shove, you can replace the movement. I doubt that will be necessary though.

5. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Kurt,
    Don't buy the 'pendulette' key like Merritt's P-682. These OEM style keys are crap and will cause you trouble. Get the regular 'novelty' style key in the correct size, like Merritt's
    P-1014. This one has a machined barrel and won't deform with use and the small round wing will make it less likely for you to break something.
    Willie X

Robert Gift likes this.
  6. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #6 KurtinSA, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    sb -

Those are good leads...thanks. If my cousin can't find the pendulum, this is probably best so as no one wastes anymore time.

Willie X - I've been doing business with Timesavers to this point...do you think that Shutterbug's link to a key is not worth trying? Not to mention, I can't find P-1014 novelty key at Merrits.

Kurt

7. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    They have that one too, and several sizes. You could mic the square for the key to be sure :)

8. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    My bad, should have been
    Merritt's P-1013. This key is sold by most of the suppliers. Usually listed as a Lux, or Keebler, or Novelty clock key.
    Willie X

9. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I pulled the back plate off. Says Made in Germany as well as unadjusted no (0) jewels. Manufacturer is Adolph Jerger KG. I can't quite get my micrometer to measure across the flats for the key, but I have a smallish novelty key. The fits loosely and using my key shank tool, it appears the size is around 2.4.

Kurt

10. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Just orders all 3. They're only a buck each. Minimum postage is going to be about $7.50.
    Willie X

11. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm struggling with trying to get the hands off the shaft...the minute hand is broken. I don't have a puller for something like this. Timesavers has this:

http://timesavers.com/i-9500790-hand-gear-puller.html

which says that the tip is 1/16" which is 0.0625". It appears that the small amount of arbor that is showing is 0.06"...as best as I can measure. Even still, the minute hand center section is nearly flush with the exposed end of the arbor. That's not much to push on. I need something that is sharper than that so the hand can slip past the end of the puller.

Kurt

12. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I managed to fashion a hand puller from stuff I had. Hands are off. Parts have come in from Timesavers.

Question...is this a 30-hour movement? Seems like that's the most obvious time basis.

Kurt

13. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime rod sets for antique clocks - please inquire
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Most of these small pendulettes run for about 30 hours on a single winding. These clocks were usually made as souvenirs or gifts.
    I don't think these clocks were ever meant to be regularly serviced so one will find manufacturing shortcuts such as the press-on hands. However, these clocks tend to look very ornate and make for good decoration regardless of operating condition.

14. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    First I couldn't get the hands off...now I can get the minute hand on!! I've pushed as much as I dare to...just won't even get started on the arbor. What should I do? I'm thinking that a lubricant wont' really help that much. I could ream the hole but there's the danger of reaming too much so the hand won't grab the shaft enough to stay in position.

Kurt

15. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Look at the end of the arbor to make sure you didn't flatten it a bit with your puller. You might have to file the roughness off if you did.

16. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No bur on the end of the arbor...I did file it a bit just to be sure. The only way this was going to work was to use a cutting broach in very small increments...cut, test fit, cut some more. Finally I was able to open it up enough to slip the hand into place. Attached is a picture of the back plate.

It's up and running...will take a look at time regulation. If all is well, then I'll send back to my cousin.

Kurt
    View attachment 353092

17. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    :thumb:

18. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    Always do your rate adjustment at 1 day. the rate will
    change quite a bit over that time frame.
    Tinker Dwight

19. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree Tinker. But I want to get it somewhat close, then let my cousin do the final adjustments when she puts it up.

Kurt

20. Robert Gift

Robert Gift Registered User

Nov 12, 2012
    Male
    Tree service "Branch Manager". Medical courier
    Denver, Colorado
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    How fun! I'd leave the minute hand off and make it a cuckostudenuhr.

21. timepast

timepast Registered User

Aug 3, 2006
    I have 3 of these tiny cuckoos. I got a perfect novelty key from Timesaver. They probably have the pendulums too