• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Timing Machine Results

bbodnyk

Aug 14, 2009
Harrisburg, PA
Country
Region
I recently bought a TYMC MTG-1000 timing machine. In reading other posts and personal use I've seen that if a watch is really out of kilter the timing machine has problems. I've seen two types of results 1) no beat rate but amplitude shown or 2) a beat displayed but no amplitude shown.

Is there something obvious that would explain either?

Thanks!
Bruce

John Runciman

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 13, 2003
Seattle, WA
Country
Region
I think you're seeing several problems with your timing machine. First you can only measure a maximum of 4 ms beat error. It is quite common to find watches adjusted beyond the 4 ms. The best way to solve this problem is to visually verify that the beat is correct.

I have a link below for the Witschi's Basic training manual which has a lot of useful information for using a timing machine. On page 12 will see the five sounds that make up each watch tick. As you can see some of the sounds overlap giving the impression that there's only three sounds. For the timing machine to determine the amplitude of the watch it needs to measure the time between A and C. So if the escapement sounds are not correct the timing machine will display the wrong amplitude or as in your case no amplitude.

John

http://www.witschi.com/download/Trainig.pdf

bbodnyk

Aug 14, 2009
Harrisburg, PA
Country
Region
Attached is an example from my timing machine of a watch in the dial up position although all the positions show a similar display. I recently received "Better Watch Repairing Faster" by Lewis & Lee and have gone through the book looking for a similar diagram and can't find one. I don't quite know where to begin. I ordered a new mainspring to replace the one in the watch which hopefully will improve the amplitude.

Attachments

John Runciman

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 13, 2003
Seattle, WA
Country
Region
Looking at your photograph I notice that you've set the beat manually to 18,000 as opposed to letting the machine use the automatic feature. Also there is no digital rate for the watch indicating that you've gone beyond the maximum range of machine. Try putting the hands back on the watch and running for several hours see how fast or slow you are going.

Did you demagnetize the watch before you tried to time it? Another thing to check is look at the screws on the balance wheel make sure there's nothing missing. The screws are in pairs so if one is missing it is quite obvious.

Is this a watch that you've recently serviced? Changing the mainspring to improve the amplitude will work only if that is the problem.

John

grumio

Mar 14, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Hi bbodnyk,

I've also just bought a TYMC-1000, and have been learning how to use it over the last few days. The display you have shown in your last post is where rate of the watch is outside the +/- 300 secs range of the machine.

As suggested, either the 18000 bph setting is wrong, or the watch is running more than 300 sec day fast or slow.

I've also found it is frequently necessary to turn down the signal level to get a nicw clean trace, particularly with an uncased movement.

So far I've found it to be a great little machine. It certainly showed up problems with a few of my project watches, and also discovered one or two star performers.

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
These machines are finicky. You need to get the watch into fairly decent shape. Also, adjust the gain setting as grumio suggested.

If the amplitude is small several bad things happen lots of variation and the machine get confused.

If you get a vertical trace try different setting and check the rate the old fashined way, against a correct time source.

One other thing that often fixes bad traces is de-magnetizing.

bbodnyk

Aug 14, 2009
Harrisburg, PA
Country
Region
Yes they are finicky but when setup correctly I suspect it will prove invaluable. I would also strongly recommend anyone who buys one should also get a copy of "Better Watch Repairing -- faster!" by Lewis & Lee. It is filled with hundreds of examples of timing machine results along with an explanation of what the readings indicate. I found a copy on Amazon and while a bit pricey it is well worth the money and should allow me to maximize the use of my timing machine.

Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACBurke
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent