Timemaster!

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by GeneJockey, Apr 9, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. GeneJockey

GeneJockey Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 2, 2012
    Scientist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    After wanting one for a few years, I was finally able to snag an Elgin 540! This was Elgin's last 23j pocket watch grade.

Well, PROBABLY the last. This is Elgin we're talking about. Maybe they DID make some 569s or 570s....

Here's the pic and blurb from the 1942 catalog...

[​IMG]

I really wanted to get it in the 3053 case, and finally one came up in my price range. And fortunately, in great shape, despite the poor quality pics in the listing.

[​IMG]

Here's the movement. I stopped it for the pic, so you can see the Invar balance, cut 2/3 of the way around:

[​IMG]

The serial number put it 44 movements from the end of the final run of 540s.

And here's my collection of Elgin's last 4 16s BW Raymond railroad watches. The 581 doesn't count, right? :D

[​IMG]

Top row: 23j 540 Timemaster in 3053 case; 21j 478 in 3051 case
    Bottom row: 21j 590 with Canadian RR dial in 3051 case; 21j 571 in 3055 case

2. ANDY YALE

ANDY YALE Registered User
    Donor

Jun 14, 2013
    Writer
    Jersey City, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's amazing how minimalist and stripped down this looks compared to the earlier 23j movements like the Vanguard. Very sleek and easy to service, I bet, the kind of watch that should run forever if maintained.

3. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Very nice B W Raymond!

Rob

4. John Cote

John Cote Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Photographer
    Midwest USA
    Country Flag:
    Nice post Gene...Nice pics, nice history, nice collection. Thanks

5. topspin

topspin Registered User

Dec 14, 2014
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The advert says it's a natural gold filled case. I wonder what an unnatural gf case would look like?

Also I'm curious about the black circle on the dial... is this basically just a black line that's there to give the impression of a "sunk" dial, like I have on some of my later 16s Walthams?

6. GeneJockey

GeneJockey Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 2, 2012
    Scientist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In Elgin's ads and catalogs, 'natural' meant yellow gold filled, versus white or rose.

Yeah, I think the black circle was to suggest a double-sunk dial. Not sure when they started that one. A quick survey of Ebay shows the black circles present only on watches with serial numbers > 31 Million, which is about 1927 according to Schilts. They started adding the black circle before the star.