Keith R...

NAWCC Member
Nov 27, 2012
South
Country
Region
Hack watch. These came out in the 1880's (Coventry UK). This one is 11J with a
DS dial and runs 29 hours on a wind.

Keeps perfect time. H. Wolfe and when serviced, I had key guard screws replaced.
Note, it is not a true Chronograph, merely a hack lever.

Keith R...

100_2096 (800x600).jpg 100_2088 (800x600).jpg 100_2092 (800x600).jpg

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
Well folks it's that time of year again!

Time to polish up those black boots, dig out the flannels and carpenter jeans, clip a chain onto a big old watch and go about the day!

This has been designated the official daily carry watch, and has taken to it's position very well.

B.W. Raymond grade 70. Nice, but not too nice where I would be completely heartbroken if something bad happens. They made a ton of grade 70s. This one isn't early, or a private label. There's nothing especially remarkable. It's just a good, solid movement.
IMG_20200930_213308141.jpg

Beautiful dial on this one.

IMG_20200930_213227093_HDR.jpg

I cleaned and lubricated the movement in late January of 2019. This is also when the case was made up from junk parts. It was stuck in a box for over a year.. sort of forgot about it untill Jerry's date symbol chart. Never did use it much, but that's changed now!

So... Happy October everyone! Shorter days, cooler weather... My time of year. Hope everyone is safe and healthy!

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
Time to wear another 12-size Waltham Riverside.
10514647 copy.jpg

This week I am wearing a watch that I have had for about 20 years. I don’t wear it too often -- to protect the already slightly worn case pattern. I bought the case originally to house an orphaned 21-jewel bridge model that I had. This case held a mid-grade 17-jewel Royal movement. But after buying the watch I found I could not make my intended switch. This lovely watch was a presentation by a church congregation to a 25-year old theology student who wasn’t ordained for another year. I could not imagine that Waltham’s best and most expensive movement would be part of such a gift. A year later I found this Riverside movement (with a Maximus dial ! ) in a very nice gold case -- one without any complicating inscriptions. That new, plain case went to my bridge model and I couldn’t help putting the Riverside in this case because it just looked so darn good. ... and a Riverside would not have been much more for the congregation to have bought (~$17 difference), so not too out-of-character for the presentation.
10514647.jpg 10514647mdt.jpg

[No, I don’t believe in removing nicely done inscriptions, and yes, I still have the Royal movement that was original to the case. Both movements were from the same production year.]

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Not a great morning with my everyday carry watch the bow came off.
I have had the bow come off a few watches but in this case one of the pins was pushed all the way
in and the other pin was loose. I had to remove both pins and re insert and secure them.
Hope it works OK. The case is very worn and was heavily used over the years
not including my own constant use.
623355554 (1).jpg

So that's why I'm posting this Waltham 12s in the "time-on-the-go thread"
This watch is not in it's original case, and I'm not so sure how original the dial movement
hands combination is anyway.

Baily, Banks & Biddle Co.,
19J A.W.W.CO. Riverside circa 1903 Model 1894 pendent set

623355835.jpg

20201002_142830.jpg 20201002_142951.jpg

Rob

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
Yay! Let's hear it for the Riversides :clap:
Lovely dial and hand combination with no reason (in my mind) to suspect they are not original (at time of sale).
(Sorry to hear about your bow problems. ... hope that gets resolved adequately).

viclip

NAWCC Member
Jul 20, 2018
Country
Rob that could have been a frictional wear problem.

I'm an old motorhead so I make a point of lubricating everything in sight.

That includes oiing the bow as well as the hinges of my pocket watch cases.

Should be good for 100,000 miles or so

Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member
Jan 8, 2006
Pasadena
Country
Region
Rob, Bailey, Banks & Biddle PLs often came with Louis XIV hands like yours. I see no reason for you to think that the combination is not original. I have three BBBs in my collection and I used to have a fourth (the last one below). Half had dials and hands similar to your watch's dial and hands

18k & Enamel Patek Philippe "Special" 29mm in diameter
IMG_3170.JPG

18k C.H. Meylan, Jeannot & Shiebler case 45mm in diameter
z Meylan BBB 12.jpg

14k C.H. Meylan, Jeannot & Shiebler case, 0-size movement
Meylan BBB Laides.jpg

YGF C.H. Meylan, in Philadelphia case, ladies-size
IMG_9001_edited.JPG

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
I am still sticking with my Waltham "Riverside"s, but have switched to a thinner 14-size Colonial-A from 1920.
5880fr.jpg
It looks much better now than when I got it (below), having gotten a new crystal, crown, matching hands and the silver dial has been dipped to remove the tarnish.
5880_f.jpg

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
I’ve switched to another Riverside this week, and I believe this may have been my very first Riverside, purchased about 50 years ago from Adin Mathews. If there are still any southern California old timers around they may remember Adin. He was a kindly old gentleman when I knew him, with a gentle chuckle. More than that, he was a very knowledgeable collector of early American watches with several Bulletin articles to his credit. He would bring watches to sell at our Chapter 4 mart, stored in old See’s candy boxes. I bought this 12-size 17-jewel Riverside (ca.1900), originally in a solid gold swing-ring case, for $40 (about the price of an ounce of gold back then). I love the high-quality glass enamel dials on these early 12-size models. I almost immediately used the gold case for an orphaned Riverside Maximus movement (which I still have in that case).
7364308_f.jpg 7364308_m.jpg

The silver swing-ring case that my Riverside is now in is one I have shown before, with a little inlaid gold locomotive on the back.
Loco.jpg
I bought that case, with a lower-grade movement inside, in 1973 for $20 at our local “The Akron” store. The same folks who may remember Adin may also remember these southern California stores in modernistic buildings where they sold an eclectic array of imports and other home decor items that they must have acquired in container loads. (Reminds me of Pier 1 Imports more recently). Somehow they had acquired an accumulation of silver pocket watches with gold inlaid ornamentation. I bought two at that price, and the rest sold out quickly to other collectors! (The second silver case houses a 12-size Elgin grade 237).

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

I was going to take out one of the fancy buggers today... But this one was begging for attention.

This Currier was the first watch I bought at an NAWCC mart, from Tom Huber (who always has something interesting to look at)

The case is an openfaced, coin silver Fahys with silver joints, 3 oz.

It was also the first Illinois that I got a chance to take down and examine, so it received a complete overhaul and a new mainspring too. Then it went into the box where it doesn't get a chance to come out very often.

Runs like a new movement, and there's just something about watching these early Illinois tick away that I really enjoy. This one has some spots on the Gilt, and now that I use different cleaning solutions it could probably use another going over to make it look better, but it's a good watch.

46,757 is a model 2 Currier. IMG_20201126_143222214.jpg
IMG_20201126_143146045_HDR.jpg

Did anyone pull out something good to wear for the holliday today? Even if your not in the U.S.

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
The past few days I have been wearing this 12-size Waltham Riverside. It is from the first run (starting in March 1896). This run was unique for the script signature on the movement. This dial, with a pressed center) was also characteristic of the first production runs. I believe the gold-filled Crescent Watch Case Co. case is original.
7074576obl1.jpg 7074576m.jpg 7074576mdt.jpg

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Thanks Jerry for bringing back this thread.

I am going to wear a local RR Grade PL today it's a 18s Elgin grade 33 from Middletown, NY
(a small city about 70 miles from NY City). If you are wondering what all the extra
holes are in the movement I have no idea I guess someone was practicing
drilling holes in it(there are 4 holes).
B. F. Gordon was the Watch Inspector and Examiner for the Ontario and Western
Railroad(in Middletown, NY).

It's in my pocket now

oiuyonbbhpbvi876.jpg 20200731_155022.jpg

Rob

Last edited:

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
No one has posted to this thread in several months, but I am sure many of you are wearing something different in your pocket by now.

I decided to wear something a little different this week -- not too large or to small. The square case, made by H.W. Matalene around 1920, measures 4 cm across (a little more than 1.5 inches). Cases of different shapes in this era were called "novelties". The silver dial with gold numerals is private-labeled for Coleman Adler, a New Orleans jeweler since 1898. The movement should be no surprise if you have seen my other posts ... it is a 19-jewel Waltham Riverside (10-size Colonial-A model in this instance). [The bow is not original].
5806fobl.jpg

The applied gold numbers on these dials are easily damaged, in particular the “2”s. When I got this watch the base of both 2s were broken off (bottom image) but I was able to hand-make new bases from flattened gold wire and glued them to the dial.
5806_2restored.jpg

Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member
Jan 8, 2006
Pasadena
Country
Region
Those applied "2"s can be troublesome. I had to replace the broken one at (I believe) 2:00 o'clock on this 14k Knapp-cased Illinois Grade 439. I salvaged the replacement "2" from another dial. If you look closely, you can see that it doesn't quite match the "2" at 12:00 o'clock, but it's close enough for me and better than half a "2".

IMG_1847.JPG

Fortunately, I didn't have to replace the "2"s on this platinum Elgin Grade 446 C.H. Hulburd, which is the watch I have out and running today. Its "2" likely would have been harder to find than the Illinois'.

DSC07646.JPG DSC07645.JPG DSC00258.JPG DSC07641.JPG

Neither watch is perfect, of course, but they both are scarce watches that I am happy to own, though neither likely is as scarce as Jerry's Matalene. Only 330 or 370 Illinois 439s were made (experts disagree). Not many are still around in their original solid gold cases, especially nicely enameled examples such as mine. No more than 810 C.H. Hulburds were made, and surely only a small number of these had platinum cases because they were much more expensive than solid gold-cased C.H. Hulburds. An old ad I have offers an 18k C.H. Hulburd for $350/$473.50 (presumably wholesale/retail) and a platinum one for $650/$852.76.

Last edited:

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
(thank you Jerry for reviving this thread)
After Jerry and Ethan posted their high quality beautiful watches above this morning
I went over to my watch cabinet to see what I have never worn before(or very rarely have worn) .
I am going to go down the ladder of quality a bunch and wear a sterling silver
18 jewel Hamilton 6/0 size. It's in my pocket now.

20210508_115745p.jpg
20210508_115428j.jpg
20210508_115837o.jpg
20190417_114140.jpg
View attachment 20210508_115442.mp4

Rob

Last edited:

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
Thanks for bringing this up, Jerry. It's great to see what people collect and study here on the forums, but it's also interesting to see what sorts of watches are actually used on a daily basis.

I can't put this one down! It might just be the perfect everyday watch. It's interesting because of the movement model, the dial and moon hands make me smile, and the size/style of the silver case is awesome.

20210502_131607.jpg 20210502_131348.jpg

Ah, who am I kidding. Give it a little while and there will be something else in my pocket.

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
I am going to go down the ladder of quality a bunch ...
Hardly! Your Hamilton movement is certainly the equivalent, if not the better, of my Riverside movement.
... and I love the Gothic bow on those little nun's watches.
22280409m.jpg

Last edited:

Downing

NAWCC Member
Jun 13, 2020
Portland, OR
Country
Region
I carried pocket watches regularly at work when I was practicing law, rotating through my collection and wearing the best ones when I was in trial. That was quite the throwback as most of my colleagues didn't even own a wristwatch and relied on their cell phones for the time. Kind of sad because imho a professional should wear a good watch, be it on his wrist or in his pocket.

Now that I'm "retired" but working part-time for fun and exercise at my local grocery store, I don't want to risk damaging any of my pocket watches. So at work I wear my trusty, cheap Timex wristwatch, which I've had for at least ten years and always wear whenever I'm doing manual labor. This watch has taken and continues to take a licking and keeps on ticking while still running on the original battery. Recently I exchanged the worn out canvas strap for a new silicon one.

So now I wear my gold cased pocket watches only on special occasions and my gold filled ones sometimes on my days off.

Clint Geller

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Jul 12, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
clintgeller.com
Country
Region
I wore my watch very occasionally at the lab where I worked, mostly only if I was giving a presentation before a group and I had an excuse to wear a vest. Also, once a year I taught the six-week Applied Nuclear Physics course in the Bettis Reactor Engineering School to the newly minted Navy ensigns who had just graduated with engineering or science degrees from sundry ROTC programs or from Annapolis. There I sometimes pulled out one of my Civil War provenance watches and laid it on the table in front of me to encourage questions about them. But since I "retired" in April of 2020, I work from home for a different employer and I have hardly gone anywhere. I plan to vist my daughter in Louisville next month. So perhaps I'll take the gold watch that was presented in 1863 to Colonel George W. Gallup of the 14th KY Infantry with me and show it to the folks at the Civil War Museum in Bardstown:

Watch Presented to Col. George W. Gallup, 14th KY Mounted Infantry, May 1863 | NAWCC Forums

Last edited:

Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member
Jan 8, 2006
Pasadena
Country
Region
I can't put this one down! It might just be the perfect everyday watch. . . . [T]he size/style of the silver case is awesome.
Rick, I thought you were trying to pull a fast one on us by showing a small-size Elgin convertible, but I see it is a Grade 48 in the normal 16-size. What is the diameter of the case? By measuring the width of my fingers from the middle of my index finger to just shy of my pinkie (the width of your fingers your watch covered in your photo), I estimate your watch to about 45mm in diameter cased. All my 16-size Elgin convertibles are at least 50mm cased. If your watch is bigger than 45mm, you must have large hands, or I must have puny ones.

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
Rick, I thought you were trying to pull a fast one on us by showing a small-size Elgin convertible, but I see it is a Grade 48 in the normal 16-size. What is the diameter of the case? By measuring the width of my fingers from the middle of my index finger to just shy of my pinkie (the width of your fingers your watch covered in your photo), I estimate your watch to about 45mm in diameter cased. All my 16-size Elgin convertibles are at least 50mm cased. If your watch is bigger than 45mm, you must have large hands, or I must have puny ones.
Hi Ethan,

Your correct, it's just a plain Jane old grade 48.

The watch measures 52.5mm with my caliper. I am a larger dude, 6'3'' and a huge wingspan.

Your question was interesting so I just measured a half dozen old model Elgin cases, one hunter and 5 open-faced, all measuring between 51.2mms and 53mms.

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
I am going out for a sit down lunch with family
out at a nice Japanese restaurant today so I figured
I would wear a different watch than usual.

I just attached it to my chain and wound her up. 18s

20210525_105107.jpg

Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Furgus2021
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller