Time for a cable replacement - Help!

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by jjsantos, Jul 19, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jjsantos

jjsantos Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 7, 2017
    Country Flag:
    from one of our local tower clock maintainers (we have 6). Can anyone provide some guidance on type of cable to use?

I was winding the clock at the First Parish Church today and noticed that a braid of the steel cable powering the time had severed. As I anticipate that the cable will part soon, I'd like to replace it.

I thought I'd measure the diameter and estimate the drop length ( which thankfully is only two stories down, way shorter than the bell cable). The rest it seems can be followed as it was put together.

So I'd like to ask if you have replaced a cable, that you might give me any pointers/help. What I can see of the terminal at the weight box makes me feel there is room for improvement. Beyond cable diameter there are steel types with their own handling strengths.

Any help you can offer will be appreciated. If you'd like to take a look and/or participate in this task, I am very flexible time-wise.

2. pidragos

pidragos Registered User
    Donor

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Mechanical Engineer; aviation parts manufacturing
    Sibiu, Romania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    this link would help:
    Tower clocks: Weights, weight lines and pulleys.
    by the way, my recommendation and not only mine, do not make any improvements to the clock arrangement! you have to consider using same type of cable with the one you want to replace, hopefully being the original and have to consider the weight.

jjsantos likes this.