Time Change Fun

Discussion in 'Horological Misc' started by Tim Orr, Oct 24, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check it out in the NAWCC Events forum:
    Talk about the upcoming National Meeting
    If you love watches or clocks you've got to come!
  1. Tim Orr

Tim Orr National Membership Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Male
    95% retired from the ad business.
    Boulder CO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good evening, all!

I bought this poster a while back, because I have an interest in all things related to time zones and time changes. This is 27"x40", a size referred to as a "1-Sheet," which is and was the standard size for posters in movie theater lobbies – even today. Sorry I was too lazy to remove it from the frame before taking the pic!

After WWII, many advertisers made these kinds of posters for theaters. Daylight Saving Time was still a hot topic, with many people still against it. Some religious folks considered it "unnatural" and "unGodly." As we know, both Indiana and Arizona refuse to use it, and there's a lot of scientific talk to the effect that the benefits are not very great after all.

I remember also seeing posters in local movie theaters threatening that the TV networks were going to force us all to accept "Pay TV." Of course, something like 90 percent of us have that now, because we pay a cable or satellite bill every month.

I think it's interesting that the headline is "Don't let them turn BACK the clock." When we go on Daylight Saving Time, we turn the clock FORWARD, not BACK. But I guess "Don't let them turn the clock forward" would not have been a very exciting headline.

Best regards!

Tim Orr

TimeChange1Sheet.jpg

2. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I remember reading a humorous complaint from "The Old Farmer" in a Texas newspaper about 50 years ago.

It was along the lines of "I can get used to it and the cows seem to be getting the hang of it, but all that extra sunlight is killing my crops!"

3. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I read something years ago that said daylight savings is like the old American Indian who cut off one end of his blanket and sewed it on the other end to make the blanket longer.

4. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Good analogy.
    Pointless activity for the sake of nothing better to do.

5. rrstd

rrstd Director
    NAWCC Member

Feb 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    Great poster!

6. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag: