Time Capsule: Lt. Nelson Bump's WW1 Cyma Trench Watch

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Robert Stokes, Jun 9, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Robert Stokes

Robert Stokes Registered User

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Retired
    California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    [ Please go to my "Time Capsule" website ( www.TimeCapsule-Watch.com ) to read the story of Lt. Nelson Marks Bump & his 1918 Cyma trench watch (click the <WW1> menu....) ]

Nelson Marks Bump
    (1891–1962) came from a prominent Binghamton, NY family. Despite a terrible youthful accident that cost him one of his legs, he volunteered during WW1 to join the American Red Cross (ARC). In May 1918, Nelson was sent to London as a transportation coordinator at ARC Headquarters. While stationed there, Nelson purchased his sterling silver "Cyma London" oval watch, and had it engraved “Nelson Marks Bump / American Red Cross / USA”.

After the war, he had a distinguished career as a public servant in Binghamton, ranging from the Deputy Commissioner of Public Works to the Broome County Parks Commissioner. Nelson was a pioneering conservationist, serving as Chairman of the New York State Forest Conference, secretary of the New York State Conservation Council, and one of the founding members of the National Wildlife Federation.

Nelson Bump died in 1962 at age 71, and is buried in his home town of Binghamton, NY.

bump - 1st Bio Page.jpg bump - watch face 1.jpg bump - watch back 1.jpg bump - 1918 Red Cross Article.jpg

Tomxhar, Jerry Treiman, PatH and 2 others like this.
  2. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    great story, Robert.

3. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I wonder which movement. I'm really wondering. Most of these contain a watch movement that was manufactured later than 1914 by Cyma, Tavannes or Tacy. So I'd love to be educated as to which movement was actually used..

4. Adam Harris

Adam Harris Registered User
    Moore NWCM Award

May 3, 2012
    Male
    Jubilado (retired)
    Costa Blanca - Spain
    Country Flag:
    Great research - lovely watch.
    Apart from its history and age that oval shape is rare and beautiful
    Regards

5. Jack_W

Jack_W Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Geologist
    Wheat Ridge, CO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Another vote for more on the movement, please.

6. Robert Stokes

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Retired
    California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    According to the Seller from whom i purchased the watch, "The watch is powered by a 13 ligne manual wind, nickel finish 15 jewel Cyma Ref. 370 movement. It has been recently serviced by my talented watchmaker and runs well, keeping accurate time. It’s clean and bright, and looks to be in great shape. "

I've also attached a photo of the Cyma movement. You can find more information about the movement by going to my TimeCapsule website, using the <WW1> menu to find Bump's story, and then click on "<Cyma Watch Gallery> button....

Thank you for your interest! I'll be happy to try to answer any other questions...

Bob

bump - cyma movement.jpg Bump - Cyma menu.jpg

7. Robert Stokes

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Retired
    California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Adam -- Thank you for continuing to look at my posts.....I really appreciate your kind words!

Bob

8. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #8 roughbarked, Jun 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    It is a Tavannes/Cyma movement but it is elswhere listed as being manufactured around 1925 to 1930.

And Ad Block Plus stops me looking deeper at your site.

I am in no doubt that it was made by the company known at some stage in time by the name Cyma.

I am in doubt bout which numbered movement, when.

9. Jessk09

Jessk09 Registered User

Feb 27, 2020
    Country Flag:
    I am wondering if the back of the watch was hand printed it definitely does look a little crude...

10. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    As it was an 'after market' addition, I suppose it would have to have been done by hand. Perhaps a local jeweler or someone with an electric stylus.

Although the letters are a little crude, the engraver has consistently followed a particular style of lettering throughout and the sizing and spacing is pretty symmetrical.

I have seen far worse.

JTD

11. Robert Stokes

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Retired
    California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jess & JTD --

Thank you for your comments! I agree with JTD's assessment -- the engraving was not done by a professional, but by an "amateur" with a consistent style. I was always surprised that Nelson Bump did not have the watch professionally engraved in London -- it was obviously a very expensive sterling silver watch, and Lt. Bump was quite wealthy (as you will note in his Biography, Nelson won the equivalent of $500,000 in his 1915 setttlement with the railroad...).

I have attached a photo of Lt. Bump's engraving, along with "professional" inscriptions from two of my other "Time Capsule" WW1 watches -- a 1917 Waltham Depollier watch belonging to Harris R. Till, and a 1916 watch belonging to Lt. D. M Crew (an English soldier who was killed in Belgium in 1918).

I am amazed that craftsmen could produce such beautiful work "by hand" -- with no laser tools !!!

Bob

bump - watch back 1.jpg harris till watch.jpg dennis crew watch.jpg

viclip likes this.