• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Time Capsule: Lt. Monroe Scott & His 1943 Bulova Minute Man: A Black Officer in a WW2 Segregated Army

Robert Stokes

Mar 9, 2020
California
www.timecapsule-watch.com
Country
Region
For the detailed story of Lt. Scott & his Bulova Minute Man watch, please go to my website, www.TimeCapsule-Watch.com, and click on his photo on the Home page (or click on the <WW2 / Cold War> menu button).

Lt. Monroe Allen Scott (1920 – 1993), a Black WW2 Army officer who served – and succeeded -- in a segregated military:

"The logic of segregated units demanded a black officer corps, but there were never enough officers to command all the black units. In 1942 only 0.35 percent of the Negroes in the Army were officers". Lt. Monroe Scott was one of them.

Lt. Scott joined the Army's 25th Infantry as a Private in 1937; by 1943, he was a 1st Lieutenant. He served with the segregated 484th Port Battalion in the North African port of Oran, Algeria, and then in Europe through the end of the War. Monroe Scott was a career officer, and served until he retired as a Lt. Colonel in 1967. He then a Logistics adviser to the US Agency for International Development (USAID) from 1972 until 1990.

Thank you for looking! Please send me any of your comments...

scott - 1941 photo with caption.jpg scott - new dial and movement.jpg scott - inscription 1.jpg scott -- bulova with band photo.jpg scott -- bulova minute man ad.jpg

Robert Stokes

Mar 9, 2020
California
Country
Region
Rob -- Thank you for your kind comment -- I hope you will take the opportunity look at the other stories on my website.

I have about dozen vintage wristwatches that need repair -- all with the owner's inscriptions & great "stories to tell". Most are Walthams, Bulovas, & Gruens (I have great watchmakers who have fixed by Elgins & Hamiltons....). I would appreciate it if you can provide that names of any watch repairer who could help me out.

Thanks!

Bob

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Another great story and watch restoration. Thank you for sharing your findings!

Dave Haynes

Sep 12, 2000
Great find. I personally welcome inscriptions. They tell a story. $33 was a lot of money in those days. Watches were valued possessions. My first watch was bought in 1962, a Bulova Sea King manual wind $36 and I bought it with monthly payments. It lasted a month in Vietnam. I really enjoy the actual inscriptions, some are simply beautiful some not so. I once had a Hamilton from the 50s "To Billy from Stinky" in the most beautiful script you've ever seen. I should pull out some examples for this forum.
D

Robert Stokes

Mar 9, 2020
California
Country
Region
Dave -- Thank you so much for comments -- finding these TimeCapsule watches & researching their owner's history is turned into a real passion -- there are some amazing stories! I hope you will take the time to check out my other stories...

Happy Holidays!

Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidlturner
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller