Tim Swike-"Beginner Watchmaking, How to Build Your Very First Watch"

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by Richard Watkins, Jul 19, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Richard Watkins

Richard Watkins Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

A very strange book

I have just read "Beginner watchmaking, how to build your very first watch" by Tim Swike. This suggests you do the following:

But a cheap watch (off ebay).

Buy a dial, hands and strap from other web sites.

Put on the new dial and hands, and strap. Hey presto! You have made a watch!

If the movement in the case is no good, then buy a small quartz movement and fill the case with putty to stop it moving about.

The first step is usually necessary because otherwise it is hard to get a case. Fixing the dial is easy; chop of the dial feet and then glue it to the movement or the putty filler.

The result, of course, is a cheap and probably ugly watch. I have no idea why anyone would do this. It would cost about $100 and for that you can buy a brand new, off-the-shelf, attractive quartz watch and save the bother.

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Re: A very strange book

Very interesting. It sounds like something I might have tried when 10 years old. Why didn't I think of writing such a book.

3. MDean

MDean Registered User

Jun 7, 2010
    Retired Elec. Eng.
    Northwest Louisiana
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I believe that a horologist that makes or works on watches would never write a book making those statements on how to build your first watch.

After a search I see that he has written other books on other subjects.

Analogy:
    I remember "building" my own 3 speed bicycle when I was 10. I started with the frame and got all the parts from other broken bikes. I finally determined what parts actually fit properly and completed it (without putty).

If I built that bicycle using the method describe in the book it would be okay to bend the forks and install wide wheelbarrow wheels, use a wood dowel for the axle and plastic flex hose for the handlebar and a golf ball for the seat.

Emit

4. Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

Fortunat Mueller-Maerki National Library Chair
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Male
    Horological Bibliographer -
    Sussex New Jersey USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I have seen a copy of this book and must agree with Richard, it is a terrible book. A n example of how publish yourself has led to a complete deterioration of quality standards

5. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I haven't read this book, but I have on my bookshelf a book regarding collecting vintage watches that is awful! Frankly, I don't know why I have kept it, it's so bad. Lousy spelling, lousy structure, lousy grammar, mis-information, etc. And you'd be shocked if I told you who wrote it! (Name of the author and title witheld for my own sake!). So such books do happen.

6. tom427cid

tom427cid Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Cabinetmaker,clock repair
    Moultonborough,NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Sounds like it was written by Red Green----
    for the unenlightened he is one of the founders of Possum Lodge who believes that duct tape is the absolute answer to every problem. Sometimes can be found on PBS.
    tom

7. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

You mean this guy, Tom? Keep your stick on the ice:D.

Attached Files:

8. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

My hero, Red Green, a very inventive man.I bet he could do better than this guy who wrote the book.

9. Richard Watkins

Richard Watkins Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

I have never heard of the book mentioned by Doug. Will someone enlighten me please? In a plain brown paper wrapper if necessary.

10. Clint Geller

Clint Geller Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Male
    I am a research physicist at a government lab
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #10 Clint Geller, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011

The worst horological book I have ever read is "The Watchmakers of Massachussetts," by ACB (though I am sorely tempted to break with the pattern on this theead and call a Voldemort by his full name.) As an author myself, I recognize that it is usually not possible to introduce significant new information or ideas into a field of study without inadvertently introducing at least a few new mistakes along with them. Certainly I have made my share. But an author should aspire to leave the state of knowledge in a field about which he writes better than he found it. Otherwise, what's the point?

Sadly, ACB took an already well covered subject, MA watchmakers, and gratuitously added many careless, unnecessary errors without contributing anything new of value to understanding. Most of his elementary mistakes could have been caught by any competent reviewer familiar with the subject prior to publication of his book. One could ask why he didn't seek such a reviewer out, but that would beg the more fundamental question of why such a poorly informed person as ACB would have felt fit to write such a book at all. That author's aforementioned shortcomings are compounded by flagrant and extensive plagiarism. Most egregiously, he lifted large sections from "Timing a Century" virtually verbatim without proper atrribution. I can recommend his volume only for squashing bugs, wedging open doors, or perhaps lining a birdcage with its pages.

11. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

This sort of problem arises when someone is the smartest person in his small circle of friends. By batting bad ideas back and forth, they take on authority of repetition.

The primary issue with horology is that we have no current academic discipline of any standing, so there are relatively few competent historians or theoretical technical writers in the field and the void is filled by well meaning bumblers with little education.

I despise the use of the word amateur to describe these people. An amateur is someone who practices the art for the love of it rather than for money. The designation has nothing to do with skill level.

Paul Chamberlain was a great example of an amateur horologist. His book is still far and away the best on the subject, in my opinion.

12. Horology6

Horology6 New Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Architect
    United States
    Country Flag:

In my opinion many of the authors would be better off writing one definitive work that is full passion for the art.

It seems that so many these days are just working to get out the collection especially after the first one. They get a name for themselves and then people will read anything put out by them just because they have authored it.

In most cases I have seen that sequel books or future books by the same authors are typically never as good as the first ones and lack the depth and focus one should always have when authoring a book. It seems like today quantity is more and more often taking the place of quality.

13. Dave D

Dave D Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 5, 2006

You can find lots of his workshop humor on YouTube. Red is the best. Tell me, who hasn't laughed and then thought, "Hey, that might actually work."
    His best line has to be: "Remember, this is only temporary. Unless it works."
    Another great performer from our neighbors to the East. (I live in Michigan and head East, not North to go to Canada.)

14. neighmond

neighmond Registered User

Jan 31, 2003
    Horologist, Teacher of Horology
    Rural Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm sorry to say that this book had only one thing to recommend it, and that is that the CD, broken into quarters, was the proper thickness to place under the short leg of my table.

There is some scattered technical information.....if it had stopped there perhaps no harm may have been done.

I fear that the practical instructions are very much lacking of the integrity and workman-like bahaviour I would expect out of someone who proclaims themselves "expert" enough to author an instructional manual. It seemed only to advocate the use of scattered second-hand and occasional odd and end new part, put together with little real thought of permanence or pride in accomplishment. It is the sort of thing I would expect out of a local shade tree mechanic.

Speaking as a full-time watch/clockmaker, it is my opinion that the person who would really profit from this "work" (besides the author) is one who wants to brag about being a "watchmaker" without having invested any real time and practice having mastered any of the tried and true methods that a true workman or woman ought to be proficient in.

I could probably turn it back to the flea bay seller who sold it to me, but I won't, because keeping this copy out of circulation will mean that it's one less novice corrupted by it. I honestly feel for any novice who is misled into thinking that this trip is what real watchmakers actually do, and urge them to spend their money and attentions on the works of DeCarle, Daniels, Fried, Hood, Kelly, Harris, and the like.

15. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  16. neighmond

neighmond Registered User

Jan 31, 2003
    Horologist, Teacher of Horology
    Rural Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I didn't recall seeing that other thread until the offending work had arrived.....If I had only seen it (or remembered it if I did see it) I should have took their word...shall I reput it there?

17. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It'll be easier to find now that you've put the book title on top. You could always use the book for a fire starter, now that the cold weather is here.:rolleyes:
    I'll merge the two threads to keep it together.

18. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sounds like a book for "eccentric" people.

His next book should be "how to repair the watch you made" with the only tool being a sledge hammer. :}

19. montyhydro

montyhydro New Member

Jul 10, 2012
    What kind of dial is that on the cover? I could use that.

20. Watchfixer

Watchfixer Registered User

Jun 11, 2011
    TV repair tech.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I did not realize that book was so low standards when I got it at xmas, I asked for exchange to get different books instead. Did get Daniel's watchmaking book.

Cheers, Watchfixer

21. BushLeagueHoro

BushLeagueHoro New Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Student
    Pittsburgh, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I think that your synopsis and key points are very misleading about the objectives of the book. While I can't really defend the title of the book, since it really just covers assembly and quick non-movement related repairs, I think that your perspective is completely inappropriate for the audience that could benefit from something like this. For the type of people who love to tinker and completely dissect something to understand and appreciate it, simply buying an off the shelf quartz accomplishes nothing. Why do people brew their own beer? They could simply buy something much better from the store for less and without the trouble. That's not the point though. There's something special and very rewarding about enjoying a beer you brewed yourself. Even if you didn't grow the barely or hops and it tastes like crap, you're damn proud of it and you learned a lot along the way.

This book helps you get your feet wet, and that's it. No one could argue they were a "watchmaker" after getting through this text, but they could certainly say they've assembled one, which in my opinion is as much of a stepping stone as you could ask for when getting into the field.

22. BushLeagueHoro

BushLeagueHoro New Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Student
    Pittsburgh, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  23. doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Many "watchmakers" of today are of the 90-day wonder variety. They start out changing batteries, graduate to fitting "pop-in", round mineral crystals, fitting bracelets and straps, learning when to put a quartz watch onto the "turbo" to get them running again, then graduate to swapping movements. It is about at this time that they often quit learning. From what has been said in this thread about this book, I get the impression that some "readers" might get the impression that this is what watchmaking is all about. And Heaven forbid they should join the coterie of such hacks that contaminate the craft!

24. Edox

Edox New Member

Sep 17, 2013

I just hate reading biased reviews from watch snobs. Why is such a master craftsman like yourself buying a beginner book listed for a hobbyist? Did you even read the title? I did and the book was perfect for me.

25. doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I typically "welcome" new posters to this MB. In this case, I shall refrain!

26. Firegriff

Firegriff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2013
    Male
    Country Flag:

I have been buying the self published books because the publishers started charging double for the e-book over getting the same book in paperback, sometimes they are a stinker sometimes a gem. but it is criminal to charge $12.99 for a e-book when the same paper book is under $7.00 at a book store or Wall mart. This has been a crick in my neck for awile -chuckles. Smiler to the watch and clock CD's on E-Bay most of the files are junk but several are quite good

27. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I wonder what "hobby" you are talking about. The kind of work described is well below the Steampunk flavor of watchmaking. It does not even create a useful novelty. We offer one evening courses for 10 year olds at our museum that do a much better job.

28. Firegriff

Firegriff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2013
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Today I replaced the back gasket in my fake Rolex and did not even mess up the Hair Spring or bend a gear My first repair !!!!!!!!! hehehehe