Mechanical WW tightening the dial on my SEIKO 7002-7020 Automatic

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by William Childers, Mar 3, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. William Childers

William Childers Registered User

Jul 2, 2011
    Greetings Great Keepers of Time! While visiting an auction I threw out a $5.00 bid on an old wooden cigar box and actually won the item. Inside the box was some old cosmetic jewelry and to my amazement an old SEIKO Automatic 7002-7020 diver's watch which has a 7002-702R R2 dial and there was also a SEIKO digital message watch that has a band that looks like someone took it of their fuel tank. Anyway, my question is about the diver's watch. As you can see from the photos the dial has spun and is definitely out of alignment. Without sounding like a fool, would it be possible for someone to instruct me on how to align and tighten dial. I was going to use glue but somehow I don't see that being the first choice. Thank you all for your help and I hope to hear from you soon.... Billy

S1.jpg S2.jpg S3.jpg

2. glenhead

glenhead Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Telecom Engineer
    Williamson County, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There should be feet on the back of the dial to hold it in place. They go through holes in the plate, and are locked in by eccentric cams. I don't know if it's two or three on the 7002. One of the eccentric cams can, I believe, be seen at between 2 and 3 o'clock in the shot of the movement, snagging the side of the brass pin coming through near the edge of the plate. If everything is as it should be, you turn the cams loose, and ease the dial off the movement.

It's possible that the dial that's there is the wrong one for the movement. If the dial feet are there, but in the wrong places, that will obviously cause the dial to line up wrong. It's also possible that the feet have sheared off, or were cut off. The only way to tell for sure would be to remove the hands and dial to see what's what.

All that said, no matter the cause, it is possible to move or install dial feet. I have a dial foot soldering machine, but have never even plugged it in, so can't swear how well it would work on that style of dial. You can probably find a jeweler in your area with a laser tack welder, and they could install new feet. It wouldn't be cheap, but that would be The Solution.

If you want to go commando, there are double-sided sticky dots that retrofitters use to put replacement movements into watches. They work surprisingly well - I've used them to replace existing ones in frankenwatches I've overhauled.

Happy hunting! Let us know what your solution is!

Glen

3. dAz57

dAz57 Registered User

Dec 7, 2011
    watchmaker
    sydney Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Seiko make great watches but some models do have an annoying habit of shearing the dial feet off, so you will need either a new dial or fit new dial feet, seeing this has no day disk you can use double sided tape or dial spots to hold the dial in place, don't use glue.

I rivet new new feet on these dials, gave up a long time ago trying to solder new feet on, due to the closeness of the dial foot to the date wheel there isn't a lot of room and the small size of the foot means the customer tends to keep coming back for dial foot repairs, and with the day/date versions there is no room for double sided tape.

If the foot is say 0.7mm dia I take some similar sized brass wire, step the end down to 0.6mm and just long enough than the thickness of the dial, drill a hole from the dial back right on the dial foot center, fit the new foot and rivet in place with a smooth flat faced punch, then if needed put a touch of paint on the rivet face.