Tightening a Snap-On Bezel (pocket watch)

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
In fact the movements do have a sort of serial number to the extent that the main train bridge and main plate are stamped with a 3 digit number that varies between movements
Check if the three numbers dont match the three last numbers in the serial number of the movement. Typically the movement should have the same three numbers on all numbered parts.

Thank you @Skutt50 for encouraging me to persist in trying to find the fault.
You are welcome..... And to continue along the same path...........Since you have several rubbed in jewels that needs to be replaced perhaps it is time to search for some sets of jewels and tools and to learn how to replace them yourself.........

Reactions: roughbarked

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
Check if the three numbers dont match the three last numbers in the serial number of the movement. Typically the movement should have the same three numbers on all numbered parts.

You are welcome..... And to continue along the same path...........Since you have several rubbed in jewels that needs to be replaced perhaps it is time to search for some sets of jewels and tools and to learn how to replace them yourself.........
I will check the numbers as you suggest. Everything is back with the correct movement now though.

Yes I completely agree. The irony is I would have my grandfather's jeweling tools but my mother threw them away many years ago thinking they were broken drawing instruments! I think as well as having the skills and tools to replace rubbed in jewels that finding a suitable jewel can also be a problem? I have some totally scrap plates to practice on over and over.........

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
My dentist told me that his trade was all about measuring everything accurately.
Well I wanted to be a surgeon actually. Maybe it was because I was a bit rubbish but I hated the attitudes of the other surgeons so I jumped to a different specialty. Watches require meticulous and painstaking work and concentration but they don't suddenly start squirting red stuff in the air........

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
I finished servicing the orphan Revue 31 and it is behaving very nicely. I like a bit of reassurance that I am not completely incompetent!

IMG_9085.jpeg

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
As an amateur and very much a learner I am trying the FL (fluorescent) range of oils and greases made by Moebius. When illuminated by a UV torch it is very easy to see exactly where the oil is. I have noticed though that certain jewels fluoresce under UV whether they are oiled or not but the oil fluoresces a different colour. In this instance I am just checking the escapement (which has been treated with fixodrop). It looks like I have been a bit heavy-handed with oil perhaps but at least it is not everywhere...

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
Big tidy of the garage this weekend so that my convertible Morris Minor can go off for some repairs. I found my grandfather's staking set (made by Star). I will try to de-rust this with Evaporust. I don't having a staking set and have nothing to loose...

IMG_9123.jpeg IMG_9124.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stems
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-