TIFFANY's Chronograph Pocket Watch, 18K, Two Sub-Dials, Six Hands (Split Second)

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Ken Spencer, May 9, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ken Spencer

Ken Spencer Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 28, 2016
    Rocky Mountains
    Country Flag:
    This TIFFANY's "Doctors'" Chronometer was obtained via a national TV auction about 15 years ago, and I know little about it. The only maker's mark (that I could find on it) is "TIFFANY & Co" printed above the inner rear casing's hinge, and "Tiffany & Co New York" in script on a bridge in the inner works. The (Tiffany's?) serial numbers are #66429, is also written above the hinges fore and aft in the inner casings. It is 52mm in diameter (without crown). Two second hands on the main face split to record times of two differing events, while the upper minor face records the minutes of elapsed events up until 30 minutes, and the lower face gives the actual seconds. The dial is of white enamel, and the arithmetic digits which surround the perimeter of the main and sub-faces are blacked gunmetal. This watch is NOT repeating. >>> Can you tell if it is authentic, when it was made from the given pictures and if there was a manufacturer other than Tiffany's? Thanx ! ! ! Ken

2. Omexa

Omexa Registered User

Feb 28, 2010
    Hi Ken, Pictures:???:?

3. Omexa

Omexa Registered User

Feb 28, 2010
    Hi Ken, if you don't put photos on the forum, it is impossible for people to give you advice about it. Regards Ray

4. Ken Spencer

NAWCC Member

Apr 28, 2016
    Rocky Mountains
    Country Flag:
  5. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Photos did not come through, try again.

6. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #6 Tom McIntyre, May 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2017
    These are the pictures are Ken's watch - Kevin

7. tgarnold

tgarnold Registered User

Jun 14, 2012
    It's a beautiful rattrapante chronograph. It is definitely finished at a level appropriate for a Tiffany pocket watch. Someone else may know more about the maker based on the serial number, but I wouldn't worry about it being authentic.

8. eri231

eri231 Registered User

Jan 13, 2012
    torino italy
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    this chronograph was made by Agassiz with a LeCoultre ebauches
    regards enrico

9. Ken Spencer

NAWCC Member

Apr 28, 2016
    Rocky Mountains
    Country Flag:
    Hey Kevin, Thank you ever-so-much for helping me get my photos published and for identifying the Tiffany's Chronograph as official! Thanx again, Ken

10. Ken Spencer

NAWCC Member

Apr 28, 2016
    Rocky Mountains
    Country Flag:
    Hey Enrico, Thank you for further identifying my Tiffany pocket chronograph as being Agassiz. I would assume that "ebauches" refers to the bridges. Thanx again ! ! !

11. Nachtmotte

Nachtmotte Registered User

Nov 21, 2005
    Greece
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sorry Enrico for disagreeing, but if it was done by AGASSIZ, it would have been signed like "Made for TIFFANY & Co. by AGASSIZ W. Co.". The font on the bridge looks like the same as AGASSIZ, but this doesn´t ment to be an AGASSIZ watch. Better to cross check under the dial for the fish symbol..., but in this case the owner shouldn´t disamble the watch! Indeed a very nice condition.
    The genuine AGASSIZ Watch Co. serials for this calibre layout were:
    117.xxx - 118.xxx,
    122.xxx,
    244.xxx - 245.xxx,
    334.xxx - 335.xxx
    (case and movement serials have to be identical)

@Ken Spencer
    This calibre is a LeCoultre 22 "Remontoir dessous le pont de barillet" - 19 lignes WCRV, made by LeCoultre & Cie for Tiffany. The Agassiz Watch Co. had nothing to do with this movement
    My best regards
    Antonios

tick talk likes this.
  12. eri231

eri231 Registered User

Jan 13, 2012
    torino italy
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    chapeau of course you're right
    regards enrico

13. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Ken,

No, the term (singular) means the whole basic movement, in this instance made by LeCoultre, which would have been more or less modified and finished to their own specifications by Tiffany.

Regards,

Graham

14. tomczc

tomczc Registered User

May 13, 2016
    Country Flag:
    The movement is from Agassiz, hight quality