value Tiffany Waltham opera watch

KJL

Jul 28, 2021
Country
View attachment 665039 View attachment 665040

Looking for some help. Sorry for the poor quality photos. And lack of photo of the movement. This watch is currently with my watchmaker for a full service and cleaning. This Waltham by Tiffany was my great grandfather’s. He received it as a gift around 1927. It is all platinum. My grandmother has the back engraved. It has a 6-0 Jewel Ruby series movement. 17 “Adjusted” jewels.
It is in very good condition. Keeps incredible time. When I get it back it will be in excellent condition. My watch maker is outstanding. He has a lot of experience with museum pieces. And his specialty is pocket watches.
I am trying to get a value on this watch. But I don’t know where to go. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I think the cushion case makes it quite unique.

KJL

Jul 28, 2021
Country
DB192C12-C752-4D17-B5B2-4B8FFC950342.jpeg 35F21A22-8493-4B46-8121-831B065A9AAD.jpeg

Looking for some help. Sorry for the poor quality photos. And lack of photo of the movement. This watch is currently with my watchmaker for a full service and cleaning. This Waltham by Tiffany was my great grandfather’s. He received it as a gift around 1927. It is all platinum. My grandmother had the back engraved. It has a 6-0 Jewel Ruby series movement. 17 “Adjusted” jewels.
It is in very good condition. Keeps incredible time. When I get it back it will be in excellent condition. My watch maker is outstanding. He has a lot of experience with museum pieces. And his specialty is pocket watches.
I am trying to get a value on this watch. But I don’t know where to go. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I think the cushion case makes it quite unique.

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Welcome to the NAWCC forum.
I consolidated your three different threads into
one.

Rob

Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member
Jan 8, 2006
Pasadena
Country
Region
Reactions: John Cote

John Cote

Director
NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Midwest USA
www.johncotephotography.com
Country
Region
In the right venue the Tiffany branding might give your watch a bit of a boost. Also, I think the Tiffany name probably makes an insurance value for your watch a bit higher because it might be more difficult to replace it. I think an insurance value would be somewhat higher than what Ethan stated but I will stick with his value at a sale.

KJL

Jul 28, 2021
Country
In the right venue the Tiffany branding might give your watch a bit of a boost. Also, I think the Tiffany name probably makes an insurance value for your watch a bit higher because it might be more difficult to replace it. I think an insurance value would be somewhat higher than what Ethan stated but I will stick with his value at a sale.

Got it. Thank you

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
I would agree that the Tiffany name does give the watch a value boost.
What that is I can not say, but I have seen auctions where the name
carries some weight.

Rob

Reactions: KJL

Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member
Jan 8, 2006
Pasadena
Country
Region
I am skeptical that the Tiffany label routinely adds anything to value. I have dozens of Tiffany-labeled pocket watches but I have never consciously paid extra because of the label. With one exception, I don't recall ever consciously buying a watch because it had a particular private label. The one exception was an Illinois Grade 299 ( a scarce high-grade model of a type I collect) that was private labeled by a well-known jeweler in my home town of Pasadena, California. Pasadena private-label pocket watches are very scarce.-

The Tiffany name may have a cachet in certain quarters, but with minor exceptions, most of its privately-labeled pocket watches were not unique Tiffany or special products. They usually are good to high grade watches privately labeled in the same way as hundreds of other jewelers did at the time. If Tiffany privately-labeled watches were scarce, the label might fetch a premium, but they are among the most common privately-labeled pocket watches one sees. There are 110 for sale on eBay right now.

There is no question that certain private labels or brands either command a premium or sellers think they should. Cartier and Dunhill are prime examples. I know nothing that makes a Dunhill-labeled Tavannes "La Captive" worth more than any other "La Captive" but sellers almost always want 2-4 times more for them. Cartier is a special case. Most of its pocket watches are distinctively styled in a way that makes them special. They generally sell at a premium. But at least sellers, if not buyers, think that watches that are not distinctive should fetch a premium merely because they have a Cartier label. I don't.

Tiffany-labeled pocket watches that likely command a premium include the relatively few watches it made in its own factory in Geneva and ones in unique or at least special cases, such as those shown below, but I question whether it is the label that makes these watches more valuable or the scarcity or beauty of these watches themselves.

blue (3).jpg blue (4).jpg blue (1).JPG blue (2).JPG

green (2).jpg green (3).jpg green (4).JPG green (1).JPG

I paid about the same amount for this similar unsigned watch.

red (1).JPG red (2).JPG red (3).JPG
red (4).JPG red (6).JPG

One final point that has nothing to do with Tiffany, John Cote said that "I think an insurance value would be somewhat higher than what Ethan stated but I will stick with his value at a sale." By "insurance value," I understand John to mean someone's inflated estimate of value for insurance purposes. I do not understand John to be endorsing inflated value estimates; I only understand him to be recognizing that they are common. U question whether any legitimate purpose is served by such valuations other than making an owner feel better. If the owner actually insures the item based on that overestimate, it would increase the cost of insuring the item, but serve no purpose except to increase an insurance recovery if the insurer would pay based on that value. Even if it would, I see no honest reason to over-insure anything except for uncertainty as to value that is material in amount, i.e., the amount the item might be worth in excess if a reasonable estimate of fair market value is potentially so large that the owner could not risk losing it. For example, if I owned a Picasso oil that might sell for $50-100 million, I might insure it for the maximum rather than some lesser amount, e.g., $75 million. Few pocket watches present material enough valuation risk, in part because most are reasonably fungible compared to a Picasso oil), to warrant insuring them for a bloated "insurance value".

KJL

Jul 28, 2021
Country
This has been very educational. I thank everyone for their insight and input.

John Cote

Director
NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Midwest USA
www.johncotephotography.com
Country
Region
I am skeptical that the Tiffany label routinely adds anything to value. I have dozens of Tiffany-labeled pocket watches but I have never consciously paid extra because of the label. With one exception, I don't recall ever consciously buying a watch because it had a particular private label. The one exception was an Illinois Grade 299 ( a scarce high-grade model of a type I collect) that was private labeled by a well-known jeweler in my home town of Pasadena, California. Pasadena private-label pocket watches are very scarce.-
Ethan,

I would love to see that Illinois 299 PL.

On the Tiffany extra value issue I think this is a complex topic. I know Patek collectors to whom a Tiffany PL is considered a detriment. I am only talking about this little Waltham, which, no offense intended, is, as a Waltham, sort of an OK watch in a nice case. I just think that with the addition of the Tiffany name some people will value it a bit more. I could be wrong and have been quite a few times.

Reactions: musicguy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hallmawfuedu
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-