tiffany never wind suspension

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by rich84, Jan 7, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. rich84

rich84 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 23, 2005
    I've been having trouble with the suspension spring of a tiffany never wind. I bought the clock with a broken spring. The repair involved using a Horolovar 300 day spring. The .0045 was slightly too strong so it had to be thinned. I got it to the right beat and let it run. In about a week the spring broke, so I tried to be more careful in the thinning process and tried again with no success. After breaking a few springs I decided to try a new spring without thinning. I just let it run fast. In about 6 weeks it that spring broke, too. Has anyone run into similar problems?

I am attaching a picture of the latest failure. (they always brake in about the same place)

Attached Files:

2. lmester

lmester Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 30, 2009
    I manage HVAC systems for a school district.
    West Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I did the same repair on a Tiffany never wind. Thinned down a Horolovar spring. It's been running for several years. How did you thin the spring? If you left a rough surface it would be more likely to break. I thinned mine using fine wet sandpaper and then polished it with a small buffing wheel. It has a nice smooth mirror finish. If you didn't have a smooth finish on the spring that might be the problem.

3. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Yes. If a pice of glass is scored, it will break along the score. Similar with many materials.

4. rich84

rich84 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 23, 2005
    I replaced the suspension without thinning and left it to run fast. It broke in the same place after a month or so.