Tiffany Chrono Info

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by jtimm, Nov 3, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jtimm

jtimm New Member

Nov 3, 2007
    Hello,

New to the board. Please see attached photos of a Tiffany Chrono. I assume it has been recased. The front is labeled Tiffany & Co and swiss at the bottom. The back is labeled Tiffany& co new york. the serial number is 96606. How old is this? Have you seen one like this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. jtimm

jtimm New Member

Nov 3, 2007

Attached Files:

3. CZHACK

CZHACK Registered User

Apr 28, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi. Nice wrist watch! It is modern/vintage and I would be surprised if it was recased but the experts will be on the wrist watch forum. Consider a new post as they may miss it in this forum. Good luck. Mike

4. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    100 to one that this is a recase. And a poor one to boot.

Then again, opinions are like, well, you know!

Jeff :) :thumb:

5. CZHACK

CZHACK Registered User

Apr 28, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jeff,

.....and a little bit of knowledge is....etc. I dont know anything about vintage wrist watches except that they are interesting. Why the recase opinion? I may see a case mark (not sure) at 4 oclock and pusher at 12 oclock seems odd given interference of strap? 40-50s?

Mike

6. Cary Hurt

Cary Hurt Registered User

Dec 16, 2005
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mike,

I posted my "little bit of knowledge" in the wristwatch section.

It's an obvious recase for several reasons, mostly the hundred year or so difference in the style and layout of the movement, and the barely functional modern styling of the case. This was obviously a hunter-cased pocketwatch movement originally, when it would make sense to have the pusher at 12. For a high-end wristwatch, a pusher at 12 is awkward and unattractive. No original casemaker (at the level of quality I would attribute to Tiffany) would have done such a thing. And if they had (as with those early conversion wristwatches that wind at 12) they would have extended the lugs or otherwise altered the design to improve the functionality.

If the movement is authentic Tiffany, then it's likely late 19th century. The styling of the case is late 20th century. There are many of these sort of recases coming out of Eastern Europe, some being sold on eBay, and some through other venues. I noticed some at last summer's National Mart.

There is nothing inherently wrong, to me, in re-using a fine old movement that would otherwise just be collecting dust, but in this case, the conversion (again, to me) does a disservice to the watch movement. Would have been nice to see the case this was originally in.

Regards,

Cary