Thrift Store Find

Bruce Winchester

Jun 7, 2020
Country
My son found these two clocks in a thrift store and sent me a few pics. I know the pics are not much to go on, but any advice would be appreciated. I'm mainly looking to get something to practice clock repair on. The price was $50 each.

First clock:

Attach0.jpg gil.jpg

Second Clock:
nh.jpg nh2.jpg nh3.jpg

Salsagev

Donor
Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
$50 is a “mid-range” price IMO and the clocks look to be in decent condition. I am a bit concerned about the black mantle as the gong and the case resemble a Seth Thomas but the face and dial fitted with new Haven. I also see other mounting holes in the back of the New Haven, if it’s not the angle or lighting. The Sessions is a great clock but may have click issues like mine did.

Ticktocktime100

Nov 11, 2012
France
www.collectorsweekly.com
Country
Hi,

As suggested above, I would offer that amount for the pair, a fair price for two projects. If they don’t accept, I’d only go for the second one (New Haven) because of the poor condition of the dial on the Gilbert. You could probably get the New Haven for $35-40 alone.

Regards.

Bruce Winchester

Jun 7, 2020
Country
Thanks, guys. I thought they were a little high on the price. I like the the Gilbert, but the face puts me off. The New Haven also appears to have a different mainspring on the left side. It doesn't look to be blue.

Salsagev

Donor
Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region

Salsagev

Donor
Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
I see movement holes in the back and the gong looks like Seth Thomas.

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
The second clock is most surely a Seth Thomas with wrong movement and dial. as has been suggested if you paid 50 ea. it's a little high, the Seth Thomas to find the right movement dial and parts would set you back about 100, but you would have a nice clock

Salsagev

Donor
Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
The second clock is most surely a Seth Thomas with wrong movement and dial.
Yes it is.

I think it is best to pass on both of these because of the bad dial of the Gilbert and the marriage of this clock. Looks like there is also some cracking in the front part of the Seth Thomas.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Just look closely to make sure ALL the parts are there and nothing is badly damaged or missing. Don't worry to much about a missing key, broken spring, pendulum, or suspension rods. But, it is common to find this type specimen with severe damage, like folded over wheels and other molestations that are not repairable.
I'm thinking about a movement practice clock. Others seem to be thinking about a restoration project, that will result in a presentable piece when your done. That might be the best course to take. The money won't be much different!!! These days, clocks are considered pretty much junk (by most) no matter what condition they are in. :( Willie X

Bruce Winchester

Jun 7, 2020
Country
You guys are confirming what I thought. These are just not worth it for the price when there are nicer clocks out there. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't passing on something valuable.
Thanks for your help.

Salsagev

Donor
Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
I'm thinking about a movement practice clock. Others seem to be thinking about a restoration project, that will result in a presentable piece when your done. That might be the best course to take. The money won't be much different!!! These days, clocks are considered pretty much junk (by most) no matter what condition they are in. :( Willie X
I might let the shop know it’s a marriage and they might come down on the price.
Edit: just saw the thread update. Yes it’s a good idea to pass IMO.

Salsagev

Donor
Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
Much better deal but looks like Asian reproduction. Probably Japanese.

Salsagev

Donor
Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
Looks like a Japanese take on an Ansonia clock. I can’t advice you on this movement type but others can. Enjoy!

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I wonder what happened to the calendar function?
Yes, this is a knock off of the famous Ansonia "Pacemaker" line of movements. I understand that long ago the Japanese actually bought the rights to produce this clock. But Ansonia went away around 1930, so I guess it was anybody's game after then? This clock is probably from the 1970s to early 80s.
Willie X

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I think the two clocks will be great for learning on. You have picked a couple of challenging ones. The Gilbert appears to have steel plates. That probably dates it to the second world war. Fortunately, it has brass inserts to make bushing easier, but remember that the pivot holes are not always dead center in those, and that's for a purpose. Gilbert's often have a cracked pinion on the center shaft. They are available from most suppliers but usually need to be reamed out a bit because they fit way too tight (which might be why the originals cracked so often).
The other I believe is a Seth Thomas case, and one of my favorite ST designs. I think you could find an 89 movement and a proper dial for it pretty easily. That one is worth way more than the asking price if restored.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
The Gilbert appears to have steel plates. That probably dates it to the second world war.
More likely WWI. Gilbert had ceased producing 8-day pendulum movements by 1940. The movement may well have a year stamped on the front.

Carl Bergquist

Oct 27, 2010
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Region
On the first two clocks, for practice either one is fine. My number one no-no for buying is "buy no clock without a complete bezel" so if you are going to fix it up go for the Gilbert.

Salsagev

Donor
Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
On the first two clocks, for practice either one is fine. My number one no-no for buying is "buy no clock without a complete bezel" so if you are going to fix it up go for the Gilbert.
A very good rule. They are very hard to replace and you’ll end up spending lots. Also buy no clock with hot glue.

Bruce Winchester

Jun 7, 2020
Country
Wow, I never even noticed the missing glass on the second clock. Great advice.
Speaking of hot glue, I bought a cuckoo clock with hot glue holding the whistle assembly. It wouldn't work because the whistle was glued in too low and the bellow couldn't open fully.

I'm going to offer them $25 for the Gilbert if they have it in a few weeks.

Salsagev

Donor
Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
Speaking of hot glue, I bought a cuckoo clock with hot glue holding the whistle assembly. It wouldn't work because the whistle was glued in too low and the bellow couldn't open fully.
Yes, it’s a demonic solution.
Wow, I never even noticed the missing glass on the second clock. Great advice.
It’s not only missing glass but missing the entire door and hinge broken in half.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deeqdacad
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff