Three-train small Viennese clock ca. 1830

rstl99

Oct 31, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
An 80 year old neighbour, who used to repair watches for a living, gave me this old clock he had picked up on a trip to Eastern Europe 30 years ago. He meant to restore it but not being a clock person, never got around to it.

Is it French or maybe Swiss? Three train, barrels look like they have an open end (no cap). Escapement looks interesting. The movement is fairly compact, plates about 8.5cm across and, and 2 cm between the plates. Nicely turned pillars.

I haven't yet tackled something that compact and relatively complicated (three trains), so will have to proceed carefully upon disassembly and inspection. The case will need some minor restoration (missing moulding here and there).

Any idea what country this clock comes from, or general period (mid-late nineteenth)? There are no maker markings visible anywhere on the clock, save a clockmaker repair scribble with date of 1899.

Thanks.

0055A143-FF9A-4751-92BE-BD4036587FA7.jpeg B13FD740-676D-4D76-B91C-AA602BCE0E5B.jpeg 233ADCF3-ADB8-48EC-AC51-8D8F88546EB2.jpeg CE5D6356-C5F5-4F47-8681-124F24E1260B_1_201_a.jpeg 822F9377-3CFD-485C-BFBB-00D3873E04B4_1_201_a.jpeg 7AA08AD9-E153-4D04-BAD9-4EB71591275F_1_201_a.jpeg FFEAF9AC-27BF-4E16-8C55-65A45698BC12_1_201_a.jpeg

rstl99

Oct 31, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Well, I should have taken a better look at the movement before taking this clock off my neighbour's hands. THe teeth on the time train barrel are seriously buggered off, some broken, many seriously crushed. Not repairable by me, that's for sure. A replacement part for such a clock is probably not to be found. And I certainly wouldn't pay someone to make a new wheel since the clock means nothing to me. I'll bring it back to my neighbour and show him why I can't deal with it. I wonder if he knew...
Also, the barrels are not sealed (open at one end) which tells me this wasn't a great quality movement/clock in the first place...

751F6085-EEB8-4570-AF9A-96D8CD5E0D09.jpeg D29D429F-315A-444C-8802-05B52174BA5A.jpeg 53906F9D-3AC6-49C0-A3E9-D4B343BDA33E.jpeg

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
It’s an Austrian movement. Probably 2 day duration.

Ralph

rstl99

Oct 31, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Thanks Ralph. You sound pretty confident about the Austrian origins. 2 day duration is not appealing to me, but the serious damage on the main wheel teeth makes it something I don't want to spend any time restoring for fun. I've got my own antique clocks to work on, and those mean a lot more to me. I'll return the Austrian clock to the owner and tell him the bad news.

Reactions: Philip Snowden

rstl99

Oct 31, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I decided to have a go at servicing this clock, since my 80 year old neighbour obviously won't be able to do anything with it. Here are photos of that problematic mainspring wheel (which is on the hour strike side as it turns out, I hadn't realized the center arbour is for the time train). I'll take this over to clock repair for suggestions in how to address the damaged teeth. Clearly, some other teeth repairs have been done to this wheel over the years...

0C3FB715-1C98-4ABC-A6C9-3796DE750800.jpeg EE009F55-1387-4296-BEF8-443BB446CD78.jpeg 1FB1286E-C373-4D9E-8FDB-D8C26EBC31D0.jpeg E8497162-35F6-4776-B313-1229DE8EB91B.jpeg

rgmt79

NAWCC Member
Jul 23, 2016
Brno, Czech Republic. London, UK
Country
Region
I have worked on similar movements, Austrian (or what was known as the Austrian Hungarian Empire) Grande Sonnerie 30 hour with silk suspension, early 19c. I have talked about the repair of damaged teeth of the great wheel in earlier posts here.

Also, the barrels are not sealed (open at one end) which tells me this wasn't a great quality movement/clock in the first place...
I disagree, the standing barrel is closed (with a small gap) by the great wheel. The quality of craftsmanship is high level. However, it is clear from your photo's that this movement has been in the hands of butcher repairman and there is a lot of work, not just the great wheel teeth.

Richard

Last edited:

rstl99

Oct 31, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi Richard,
I'll have to look up your posts about repairs to the great wheel. I think mine is beyond repair, too many teeth broken and the profile of the wheel does not lend itself well to putting in a large "patch" into which to cut new teeth.

They say "never look a gift horse in the mouth" but I should definitely have followed my instinct and inspected the movement carefully before accepting this "gift" from my neighbour. WHether he was the one who seriously damaged this clock I don't know, he serviced watch movements for decades but has little to no experience with clocks.

ANyway, I've taken it all apart and see what you mean: the parts are quality made. Other than a couple of small repairs here and there things seemed to be in reasonably good shape as far as the trains go. I'm hoping to get it to run and strike the hours (sacrifice the quarter hour chiming by moving that main wheel to the strike train).

I didn't need this extra work, and have no idea what I'll do with the clock if when it's done. Definitely a "gift" I should have declined, but I sort of reluctantly accepted it thinking to do the neighbour a favour...

Regards,

Robert

p.s. found your thread describing your great wheel repair. Wish I could entertain something like that, but my lathe skills are not there yet...

Last edited:

rgmt79

NAWCC Member
Jul 23, 2016
Country
Region
I'm hoping to get it to run and strike the hours (sacrifice the quarter hour chiming by moving that main wheel to the strike train).
Hi Robert,

You will need to check that the two strike train main wheels are identical for this to work. Check the o/d of both wheels, the number of teeth on the o/d of the wheel and the number of pinion teeth meshing with the next wheel in the train. In my case the o/d of the wheels were the same but the number of teeth/pinion teeth were different 72/8 and 74/6 respectively.

Good luck,
Richard

rstl99

Oct 31, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi Richard,
Thank you and you are quite right, the two main wheels are not interchangeable for the reasons you indicated. Darn. Oh well, scratch that idea...
I'm going to put the movement back together and at least get it ticking, and maybe chiming on the quarters.
I really don't care to take this one on as a project (the main wheel) or pay someone to do the sizable job of making a new main wheel... The clock has no meaning for me, no emotional attachment of any kind.
I may just give it back to my neighbour with a "thanks but no thanks".
I suppose the movement may have a nominal value "for parts"...
Best regards,
Robert

rgmt79

NAWCC Member
Jul 23, 2016
Country
Region
Hi Robert,

I'm not sure that it will run on quarters only since the trains are not entirely independent of one another, it may be possible, I'll give it some thought.

Rather than give it back to your neighbour (clearly not interested or capable in fixing it himself), why don't you pack it all up in a box and send it to me. I would be happy to take it on as a project. I would cover the cost of postage. I guess you would need to consult your neighbour first? The movement is worth restoring, but not enough to pay a professional repairman to do it. I would keep you updated throughout the project. What do you say?

Best regards,

Richard

Reactions: PatH

rstl99

Oct 31, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi Richard,

You offer an interesting solution to my "dilemma"!
Indeed, you stand a MUCH better chance of resuscitating this movement than I ever can.

Right now, I'm having "fun" trying to put the plates and wheels together after cleaning etc., and not 100% sure that whoever put it together last had all the right wheels at the right place.

All that to say, your offer sounds like a gracious way for me to pass this movement/clock on to someone who can actually do something with it, which hopefully my neighbour won't object to. How could he?

I'll get back to you with a private message to make necessary arrangements.

Thanks and best regards,
Robert

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
The clock picnic is comming soon too, that our clock club holds in the Summer. A good place to sell as well.

rstl99

Oct 31, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
The clock picnic is comming soon too, that our clock club holds in the Summer. A good place to sell as well.
Hi Kevin
Yes I'm aware of the picnic. But I well know the club members are as frugal as I am, so the idea of selling a non-working clock for anything but a pittance is probably a non-starter. :)
See you at the picnic, probably
Robert

Last edited:

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Take care Robert, hope to see you at the picnic. We do have some great repair people , so you never know what they might buy.

rstl99

Oct 31, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
You're right Kevin, there are some very good repair people in the club. I'm not one of them, but one can't do everything... Take care.

Reactions: Kevin W.

rstl99

Oct 31, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Found the movement pictured and described in Basserman-Jordan/Bertele.

Hoping to find someone locally who can cut a wheel for it, as I'd like to carry out an "intelligent overhaul" on this neat old clock, and wind up with "a friendly companion in the room". (See Basserman-Jordan's text).

IMG_0624.jpg IMG_0625.jpg IMG_0626.jpg

rstl99

Oct 31, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Here's the damaged mainspring wheel taken apart. You can see two of the three brass rivets that held the click spring in place (the other one I left in the spring, which can probably be reused, once a suitable wheel is cut and profiled correctly).

p.s. Richard pointed out the wear on the ratchet wheel teeth, and that a failure to hold may have resulted in the damage on the great wheel teeth. I think there is merit in that, and I'll need to address the ratchet wheel in my restoration of this component of the clock. Interestingly, the other two great wheels don't display any of these issues: ratchet wheel teeth nice and sharp, no damage at all to the great wheels teeth. Why this one in particular?

IMG_0628.JPG

Last edited:

rstl99

Oct 31, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
The book of old clocks and watches
by Ernst Von Basserman-Jordan
Fourth Edition fully revised by Hans Von Bertele
Translated from German by H. Alan Lloyd
London, George Allen & Unwin Ltd
522 pages

Original title by Basserman-Jordan: UHREN
Some reviews are that Bertele weakened an earlier outstanding book, by revising and enlarging it. I wouldn't know. All I can say is that, like this instance, it seems to possess information that no other horological book in English has. Outstanding photos also, mostly black and white but some colour. Excellent detailed description of all photos. Nice glossy pages.
Interesting and somewhat unique book, that probably belongs in any serious horological enthusiast's library.

p.s. two interesting sections in the book are (1) a 40 page chronological table of principal discoveries and inventions and (2) a 60 page section entitled "Collectors' Problems", with interesting insights.

pp.ss. It was Richard Watkins in his amazing bibliography who gave this book a real thumbs down, other than the extent and quality of the (more than 700!) photos. I'm not as critical as he is, and do flip through it from time to time to find something a bit off the beaten path. Your mileage may vary...

Last edited:
Reactions: rgmt79 and PatH

Philip Snowden

Sep 19, 2021
Country
The book of old clocks and watches
by Ernst Von Basserman-Jordan
Fourth Edition fully revised by Hans Von Bertele
Translated from German by H. Alan Lloyd
London, George Allen & Unwin Ltd
522 pages

Original title by Basserman-Jordan: UHREN
Some reviews are that Bertele weakened an earlier outstanding book, by revising and enlarging it. I wouldn't know. All I can say is that, like this instance, it seems to possess information that no other horological book in English has. Outstanding photos also, mostly black and white but some colour. Excellent detailed description of all photos. Nice glossy pages.
Interesting and somewhat unique book, that probably belongs in any serious horological enthusiast's library.

p.s. two interesting sections in the book are (1) a 40 page chronological table of principal discoveries and inventions and (2) a 60 page section entitled "Collectors' Problems", with interesting insights.

pp.ss. It was Richard Watkins in his amazing bibliography who gave this book a real thumbs down, other than the extent and quality of the (more than 700!) photos. I'm not as critical as he is, and do flip through it from time to time to find something a bit off the beaten path. Your mileage may vary...
My only Austrian grande sonnerie striking It now strikes on two bells as the gongs were missing when I got it .There is a lever at the top of the dial for strike or no strike.It’s small for this type 16 x12 ins .The movement is very similar to yours and has a pull repeat . Think it runs for about 3 days .The hands are awkward as they just push on and the date hand often points to 6 and stays there .But I still enjoy this clock .

image.jpg

Last edited:

Philip Snowden

Sep 19, 2021
Country
Yes, the hands can be quite tricky to set up, especially if you have a date hand as in your case. I suggest that your date hand has come loose and points to 6 under gravity.

Richard
Yes it works for a while and then the big drop !!

rstl99

Oct 31, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi Philip,

I like the picture frame design of your Austrian Grande Sonnerie clock, very attractive to have that up on a wall, no doubt.

Someone locally is going to have a go at making up a replacement wheel for me, to address the issue with one of the great wheels that was badly damaged. Might take a while, but I'm hopeful that he will get me at least partly there (toothed wheel), even if I need to finish the wheel myself (to accommodate the click spring, winding wheel, etc.). I look forward to have this clock back together some day, running and chiming again.

This gives me time to address some issues with the wood case. And at some point, locate some suitable hands for it (they are missing on mine).

Longer term project but that's fine, gives me something different to poke around on while I am going through some other clocks of mine that are more straightforward to service.

Regards,

Robert

Philip Snowden

Sep 19, 2021
Country
Hi Philip,

I like the picture frame design of your Austrian Grande Sonnerie clock, very attractive to have that up on a wall, no doubt.

Someone locally is going to have a go at making up a replacement wheel for me, to address the issue with one of the great wheels that was badly damaged. Might take a while, but I'm hopeful that he will get me at least partly there (toothed wheel), even if I need to finish the wheel myself (to accommodate the click spring, winding wheel, etc.). I look forward to have this clock back together some day, running and chiming again.

This gives me time to address some issues with the wood case. And at some point, locate some suitable hands for it (they are missing on mine).

Longer term project but that's fine, gives me something different to poke around on while I am going through some other clocks of mine that are more straightforward to service.

Regards,

Robert
Robert ,It’s good that yo are trying to get it back into the land of working twill be another one saved .The case should come up nicely as well.
Had mine a long time think I was given it by a lady on my milk round.The movement was totally green it cost me to get it sorted but the restorer did a great job..He took fantastic photos of the finished movement saw them a while ago but can’t remember where.
Its one of only 5 non English clocks I have which are another Austrian a German wooden arch dial eight day wall clock a French sienna marble mantle clock and a Steel and brass American clock all of my others are English.
Just a thought I don’t think the pillars are as nice as yours on my clock .I will have a look.They just look to be straight .Hope you find someone to make a wheel for it ..Best Wishes Phil.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

rgmt79

NAWCC Member
Jul 23, 2016
Country
Region
Hi Philip,

I too love these Viennese picture clocks. Just a couple of observations concerning yours,

There are 2 strike hammers which would originally strike against separate coiled gongs. I can only see 1 bell in your pictures, is the other one nestled inside?

I see that your thread suspension is not set up correctly. One end of the thread should be wrapped around the arbour, which prodrudes through the hole in the dial face just above the 12 position, this enables the small end of a double ended key to adjust the length of the pendulum without having to go behind the clock.

Regards,

Richard

Philip Snowden

Sep 19, 2021
Country
Here's the damaged mainspring wheel taken apart. You can see two of the three brass rivets that held the click spring in place (the other one I left in the spring, which can probably be reused, once a suitable wheel is cut and profiled correctly).

p.s. Richard pointed out the wear on the ratchet wheel teeth, and that a failure to hold may have resulted in the damage on the great wheel teeth. I think there is merit in that, and I'll need to address the ratchet wheel in my restoration of this component of the clock
Hi Philip,

I too love these Viennese picture clocks. Just a couple of observations concerning yours,

There are 2 strike hammers which would originally strike against separate coiled gongs. I can only see 1 bell in your pictures, is the other one nestled inside?

I see that your thread suspension is not set up correctly. One end of the thread should be wrapped around the arbour, which prodrudes through the hole in the dial face just above the 12 position, this enables the small end of a double ended key to adjust the length of the pendulum without having to go behind the clock.

Regards,

Richard
Hi Philip,

Regards,

Richard
Yes Richard there are two bells one inside the other .I am sure the gongs would have been better but my restorer made that suggestion as there were no gongs
Hi Philip,

Regards,

Richard
. Interestingly, the other two great wheels don't display any of these issues: ratchet wheel teeth nice and sharp, no damage at all to the great wheels teeth. Why this one in particular?

View attachment 721007

Philip Snowden

Sep 19, 2021
Country
Hi Philip,

Regards,

Richard
Yes Richard there are two bells probably it would have been better with the gongs but as there were none my restorer Jeff suggested this way out..as for the suspension that would be me mucking about with it thanks for that.
I‘m going to get it going just to see how long it goes for I’m sure it’s almost 3 days.I have another which is strange in a case which looks to have Dutch inlay added to it .That one strikes the hours and half hours may be a marriage but looks good although the dial pillars are gone so blue tack is my bodge.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Philip Snowden

Sep 19, 2021
Country
They are known as 30hr movements, but will usually go for longer, especially if there are no stop works. Does yours have stop works?
Haven’t a clue but I’m guessing it hasn’t .Just found the book with the movement in Robert put on and noticed the pillars on my clock are the same as in the book photos Robert’s clock has much nicer pillars so probably better quality.

image.jpg image.jpg

Philip Snowden

Sep 19, 2021
Country
I think they would have been fitted originally, but often removed by repairman because they are difficult to set up correctly. If you can find the photo's you mentioned, I may be able to tell you.
These are the two photos I have don’t think that’s too much help .Hope Robert doesn’t mind our discussion on his post .

62CD48B8-D52D-4FED-B3EA-CF9E3EC216CF.jpeg FFE63213-FF45-4926-82A0-7CDF0EC09BB3.jpeg

rstl99

Oct 31, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Thanks Philip for the information and pictures about your austrian clock and movement. Always nice to see comparables.

About the pillars: my limited understanding is that there were many clockmakers in Vienna producing these clocks, and possibly some desired to introduce a bit more flair and interesting details in their products, such as the nicely carved pillars.

On my clock, the brass frame to which the dial is attached and which itself attaches to the movement, features similarly carved pillars, so the clockmaker was clearly concerned about producing a beautiful clock, even in areas that would only be seen by him, or future repairers. And yet, nowhere on the clock is there any indication I've found of the clockmaker's name, one would think he would have proudly signed his work somewhere. This intentional and yet anonymous attention to beauty and details in execution is something that's always impressed me, especially with some of these un-named horological objects of the past.

Robert

IMG_0642.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: WIngraham

Philip Snowden

Sep 19, 2021
Country
Thanks Philip for the information and pictures about your austrian clock and movement. Always nice to see comparables.

About the pillars: my limited understanding is that there were many clockmakers in Vienna producing these clocks, and possibly some desired to introduce a bit more flair and interesting details in their products, such as the nicely carved pillars.

On my clock, the brass frame to which the dial is attached and which itself attaches to the movement, features similarly carved pillars, so the clockmaker was clearly concerned about producing a beautiful clock, even in areas that would only be seen by him, or future repairers. And yet, nowhere on the clock is there any indication I've found of the clockmaker's name, one would think he would have proudly signed his work somewhere. This intentional and yet anonymous attention to beauty and details in execution is something that's always impressed me, especially with some of these un-named horological objects of the past.

Robert

View attachment 723268
Hi Robert .I wound my one up the other day and it goes for 30 hours but the

Robert

View attachment 723268
Robert .Gosh nice to have those beautiful turned pillars on the chapter ring as Weil as the movement..I ran mine and it’s just over 30 hrs for the strike but the going train is longer so perhaps a stop is missing on that train .
Have you had any luck getting the wheel teeth sorted yet .I am certain it’s really worth getting sorted it will be a pleasure when the case is done as well .Regards Phil.P S Yes there are a lot of unsigned clocks out there but that’s another thing that makes collecting interesting !!

rstl99

Oct 31, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi Philip,

I've left the ruined wheel with someone who said he'd try to make a replacement for me. He's busy so I'll likely have to wait a month or so. No rush.

Yes, this should prove a satisfying long term project for me, so I'm glad I got over the initial disappointment about the damaged wheel. Indeed it's worth sorting out this nice clock, especially for its quality movement, which has features I haven't seen in American, English or French clocks. The Vienna makers were different in a good way.

Glad your clock is working well and giving you pleasure.

Regards,
Robert

Philip Snowden

Sep 19, 2021
Country

rstl99

Oct 31, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
A few photos showing some of the anatomical details of some of the handmade parts on this clock, which I presume is pretty typical of the quality baked into the small viennese clocks of that period. The fly is carved out of a single piece of brass. The steel parts are particularly well constructed, with great attention to smoothness of lines and sharpness of points.

08180E3A-0A8F-4E67-886A-B305CF40B919.jpeg 51B4DD93-9310-4B52-B3A4-7BC8910DE2E5_1_201_a.jpeg CFC01107-8D7C-4F86-B33D-818ACC367CF4_1_201_a.jpeg 7C1B2B31-37D5-4D78-B0FA-2299479D8622_1_201_a.jpeg E866B086-A8A3-4F3F-B74E-936CC2C42F59_1_201_a.jpeg 0892DD53-929E-4B82-A4EF-1D2A71FD20F9_1_201_a.jpeg

rstl99

Oct 31, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
interesting to compare the photo of my movement (colour) with that of Philip's (black and white). Both clocks are made in the same tradition, with a lot of similar elements, though with individual clockmaker preferences for location and shape of certain parts. In Philip's case, I'm wondering what the purpose is of the wheel in the center (teeth almost looks like those on an escape wheel). Mine doesn't have an equivalent wheel at that location. Also, Philip's movement has an additional wheel to the right of that center one, which is also not present on my movement.
Robert

vienna1.jpeg vienna2.jpeg

Philip Snowden

Sep 19, 2021
Country
interesting to compare the photo of my movement (colour) with that of Philip's (black and white). Both clocks are made in the same tradition, with a lot of similar elements, though with individual clockmaker preferences for location and shape of certain parts. In Philip's case, I'm wondering what the purpose is of the wheel in the center (teeth almost looks like those on an escape wheel). Mine doesn't have an equivalent wheel at that location. Also, Philip's movement has an additional wheel to the right of that center one, which is also not present on my movement.
Robert

View attachment 723568 View attachment 723569
Robert that’s because mine has a date hand so I suppose they are for that.When I got my clock the movement was totally green it was free but it cost me £300 to get it cleaned and two bells put on as there were no gongs but still thought it worth it as I like the clock.Phil

rstl99

Oct 31, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Oh I see, yes a date wheel probably explains it. Yes, not cheap to have work done on old clocks, I'm glad I can (generally, though not always, as this damaged wheel is an example) refurbish them myself. Sounds like the repairman who cleaned and got yours working did a good job, and I'm glad you like and enjoy it. I look forward to when I can get mine ticking and chiming again.

Thankfully I do have the gongs for mine (photo attached). One of the hammers broke off but was attached to the gongs so can be fixed and made to work again.
Regards,
Robert

IMG_0645.JPG

Philip Snowden

Sep 19, 2021
Country
Oh I see, yes a date wheel probably explains it. Yes, not cheap to have work done on old clocks, I'm glad I can (generally, though not always, as this damaged wheel is an example) refurbish them myself. Sounds like the repairman who cleaned and got yours working did a good job, and I'm glad you like and enjoy it. I look forward to when I can get mine ticking and chiming again.

Thankfully I do have the gongs for mine (photo attached). One of the hammers broke off but was attached to the gongs so can be fixed and made to work again.
Regards,
Robert

View attachment 723607
Yes the restorer was a very good friend of ours and would often come round ours for curries which him and his wife enjoyed very much .But he has passed now and is dearly missed .
Ive just bought an Ebonised Dial clock which is not my sort of clock .I like earlier clocks but this was as cheap as chips.I bought it because I love the makers name G Baskerville about 1865.It has a 12 inch dial and no pendulum but that’s not a problem .Bit of work on the back box …..
Pleased you have the gongs Jeff put two bells on mine but I think it would sound better with Gongs .

A42AD200-5B5F-4D87-BAD5-18D006CEF37C.png 50AF6227-1E1A-4AB6-BBB2-3304862205F7.png 094D7D3C-B30A-4693-9623-88E92FA1FC56.png

Last edited:

Philip Snowden

Sep 19, 2021
Country

Regards,
Robert

View attachment 723607
Glad someone was thoughtful enough to attach the broken hammer to the spring .

rstl99

Oct 31, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Sorry about your restorer friend Jeff. But it's nice you have his handiwork to give you pleasure.

Baskerville eh? The name is evocative, indeed.

As far as I could tell, the only thing missing from my Austrian clock was the hands. The previous owner must have mislaid them when he took the clock apart many years ago, and never went further with it. I'm sure I'll be able to find suitable replacement hands for it in due time.

WIngraham

NAWCC Member
Apr 19, 2019
Country
Region
Hi Robert:

I am glad you changed your mind about this clock, it is a good one. Your efforts will make it that much more enjoyable at the end. The architectural case is very appealing.

What is the size of the dial? Should not be too hard to find some nice hands for it.

Great pics of the selected parts. They are finely made.

Will

rstl99

Oct 31, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Thanks Will.

In hindsight it would have been silly for me to part with this gifted clock.

Regards,

Robert

rstl99

Oct 31, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Dreweatt's is auctioning off on 6 Sep a nice looking Grande Sonnerie Viennese wall clock (lot 120 est. 1200-1800 gbp). Some nice photos of the movement for those interested. The hands on it are particularly fine and intricate, so I'm not sure I'll be looking to fit something like those on my viennese. Will go for a simpler look.

vienna dial hands 6.5in.jpg

rstl99

Oct 31, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Thank you Richard, that is quite helpful. I'll seek out such hands in due time. Best regards,
Robert

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby2
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-