• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Three train musical cuckoo

Robert Horneman

Jul 6, 2017
Country
Is anyone aware of any dvds ,books diagrams of how a three train musical cuckoo works? How it is assembled, especially the position of the levers from the strike side to the music side?

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Hanover, PA
www.testoftimeclocks.com
Country
Region
Hello Robert,

Philip Balcomb has about a 20 page chapter on Cuckoo Clocks in one of his books, "The Clock Repair First Reader". The last four pages of that chapter focus on three train musical cuckoo clocks. It's basic, but very good information. Unfortunately, it doesn't currently appear to be available except at ridiculously high prices. Maybe you can find a copy with a little more digging.

The 90+ page book titled "The Cuckoo Clock Repair Manual" by William j. Bilger also goes into some detail on both Music Box Operation and Adjustment as well as Animation Automata & Revolving Platforms". It is currently available.

Personally, I find Mr. Balcomb to be a little easier to understand and follow but they both go into good detail with plenty of photos, drawings and diagrams.

I've only worked on one 3-Train Cuckoo and I eventually had to replace the Music Box because the original one had such a worn out Governor and Warning mechanism that no matter what I did, I could never get it to go into warning without sending the little Accordion Player out to play a few notes before waiting his turn to play. Installing and adjusting a new musical movement was such a breeze by comparison that I wish I had just decided to do so from the very beginning.

Good luck,

Bruce

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
If you post some pictures of the movement here along with your questions, I'm sure we can help you.

Robert Horneman

Jul 6, 2017
Country
Hello Robert,

Philip Balcomb has about a 20 page chapter on Cuckoo Clocks in one of his books, "The Clock Repair First Reader". The last four pages of that chapter focus on three train musical cuckoo clocks. It's basic, but very good information. Unfortunately, it doesn't currently appear to be available except at ridiculously high prices. Maybe you can find a copy with a little more digging.

The 90+ page book titled "The Cuckoo Clock Repair Manual" by William j. Bilger also goes into some detail on both Music Box Operation and Adjustment as well as Animation Automata & Revolving Platforms". It is currently available.

Personally, I find Mr. Balcomb to be a little easier to understand and follow but they both go into good detail with plenty of photos, drawings and diagrams.

I've only worked on one 3-Train Cuckoo and I eventually had to replace the Music Box because the original one had such a worn out Governor and Warning mechanism that no matter what I did, I could never get it to go into warning without sending the little Accordion Player out to play a few notes before waiting his turn to play. Installing and adjusting a new musical movement was such a breeze by comparison that I wish I had just decided to do so from the very beginning.

Good luck,

Bruce
Do you know if the last four pages in the Clock Repair First Reader are in the First Edition? Or are they in later editions? I have a chance to buy a First edition fairly cheap.
Thanks Bob

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Hanover, PA
www.testoftimeclocks.com
Country
Region
Bob,
Sorry, can't help there.
I was referencing my copy which is a 4th Edition.
Chapter Five, "Cuckoo Clocks How they work, Their care and repair". The Chapter is 17 (34) pages long.
Perhaps the Seller can provide more information?
Regards,
Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztrukin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent