Three Of My Watches Stolen From Repair Shop!!

John Hinkey

NAWCC Member
Feb 21, 2022
Country
Unfortunate news - I had 3 of my 6 family heirloom watches at a local shop for repair - the 3 best/nicest ones - and they were stolen from the shop along with about 30 other watches that the shop had locked up.
Here's pictures of the three watches:
E. Koehn
1648071826982.jpeg

Hamilton 912
1648071753396.jpeg

Agassiz
1648071665736.jpeg

Any tips on what I can do to try to recover these watches? I have detailed pics of them all so that identifying marks and serial numbers are obvious.
I live in Seattle.

Thanks -

John

aucaj

Feb 2, 2021
Country
Region
I am very sorry this happened to you. I would call every pawn shop within 50 miles. Leave them your information. You can’t count on the cops to necessarily to recover your items. If the cases are precious metal, you will want to call gold scrap shops too.

Reactions: Benjamin E.

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
I had 3 of my 6 family heirloom watches at a local shop for repair
Yikes! I know some people are afraid of putting their watches
in the mail, but I never really thought about my watchmaker
getting robbed. There is no great answer, I would put a search on eBay
for the Private label and the other watches too.

Rob

John Hinkey

NAWCC Member
Feb 21, 2022
Country
Yikes! I know some people are afraid of putting their watches
in the mail, but I never really thought about my watchmaker
getting robbed. There is no great answer, I would put a search on eBay
for the Private label and the other watches too.

Rob
Yes, I purposely did not send the watches across the country for service and chose a local company instead for just that reason.
Doing all I can with the local pawn shops and coin/precious metals dealers to make them aware of this theft.

Had to break the news to my poor elderly mom that these had been stolen . . .

Ugh.

- John

aucaj

Feb 2, 2021
Country
Region
I would also watch Craigslist. According to some references, ebay and Craigslist are more regularly used by criminals than pawn shops.

John Hinkey

NAWCC Member
Feb 21, 2022
Country
Thanks for all the support and suggestions.
My Mom was in tears . . .

Meanwhile, I've contacted the Seattle Police directly and outside of the watch repair owner's efforts I've sent images and descriptions directly to the detectives.
Also, I contacted the pawn shops and gold dealers in the area where the theft occurred and send images of the watches to them. So far they have been very nice and helpful to deal with. I have a few more pawn shops to go to contact today.
Also, ebay, craigslist, and offerup will be monitored on a regular basis.

Also, also, what do you think about putting the two expensive watches into the watch register: THE WATCH REGISTER
Does anyone know anything about these guys?

- John

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
Sadly the likelihood of recovery is low.

For the future security is a major part of evaluating a watch repair or even a agent to sell your valuables. A safe is an essential and in addition to being heavy well secured it also has to be rated highly against fire.

My favorite watchmaker has alarms, a safe, the shop is in his home and he as well as his wife have many forearms and are well versed in their use. He is very good friends with the local police chief and and would be robber has to crazy to try.

He was robbed when he took in a relative but it was only his personal items and he was not able to recover them from local pawn shops, who had mysteriously forgotten to enter the items on their lists.

As to this case, look over items for sale and file a police report notify on-line auction sites, but then move on. If you get them back you are fortunate but do NOT let this cast a pall over your life. The thieves have your property, do not let them have your joy in life.

Reactions: Clint Geller

John Hinkey

NAWCC Member
Feb 21, 2022
Country
Sadly the likelihood of recovery is low.

For the future security is a major part of evaluating a watch repair or even a agent to sell your valuables. A safe is an essential and in addition to being heavy well secured it also has to be rated highly against fire.

My favorite watchmaker has alarms, a safe, the shop is in his home and he as well as his wife have many forearms and are well versed in their use. He is very good friends with the local police chief and and would be robber has to crazy to try.

He was robbed when he took in a relative but it was only his personal items and he was not able to recover them from local pawn shops, who had mysteriously forgotten to enter the items on their lists.

As to this case, look over items for sale and file a police report notify on-line auction sites, but then move on. If you get them back you are fortunate but do NOT let this cast a pall over your life. The thieves have your property, do not let them have your joy in life.
Yes, you are right, I can't let it consume me (despite being obviously pissed off), but I told the watch repair place we'd give it a week to see if they turn up anywhere, then he'll have to compensate me. He offered to purchase similar watches as replacements, but since they are heirlooms it really doesn't matter to me at this point, though I may change my mind over the next week.

- J

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Can you post movement photos

Rob

John Hinkey

NAWCC Member
Feb 21, 2022
Country
A week later and I've contacted several pawn shops and gold buying shops and fully reported everything to the Seattle Police.
I even contacted a few of the local Craigslist people that are advertising to buy any old pocket watches in case someone responds to their ad with my watches.
We are now in the wait and see game while I monitor Craigslist, FB Marketplace, Ebay, OfferUp, etc. on a daily basis.

John Hinkey

NAWCC Member
Feb 21, 2022
Country
Frequently check ebay listings within a 100 mile radius of you too.

This is how I recovered some of my own items and determined the identity of my intruder.
Yes, checking Craigslist, ebay, facebook MP, and OfferUp within a few hundred miles.
The hope is that since a couple dozen watches along with mine were taken one of these must show up eventually on one of these market places and that could hopefully lead back to the perpetrator.

neighmond

Jan 31, 2003
Rural Iowa
Country
Region
Make it known to the pawnbrokers that you are willing to pay them well for their trouble, moreso if the perp goes up for it. Lots of pawnbrokers would gladly drop a dime on a thief since thieves make them look bad, especially if they get something out of it.

Reactions: John Hinkey

John Hinkey

NAWCC Member
Feb 21, 2022
Country
Make it known to the pawnbrokers that you are willing to pay them well for their trouble, moreso if the perp goes up for it. Lots of pawnbrokers would gladly drop a dime on a thief since thieves make them look bad, especially if they get something out of it.
The problem I have is that I live in a big metropolitan area and there are many many pawn shops and gold buying shops to try to contact via phone and email. I am going to put out somewhat of a mass mailing to as many of the larger shops as I can. So far I've only contacted pawn shops near where the burglary took place, but the thieves could try to pawn this stuff 50 miles away in another city . . .

Reactions: neighmond

neighmond

Jan 31, 2003
Rural Iowa
Country
Region
The problem I have is that I live in a big metropolitan area and there are many many pawn shops and gold buying shops to try to contact via phone and email. I am going to put out somewhat of a mass mailing to as many of the larger shops as I can. So far I've only contacted pawn shops near where the burglary took place, but the thieves could try to pawn this stuff 50 miles away in another city . . .
Make sure you tell them if they find your goods at another pawnshop both of them can share in the reward, most pawnbrokers I know have at least some sort of relationship with others in their trade.

another thing you do is put adds in the paper and social media that you are buying old watches; open a gmail account just for that and say something like "send pictures of what you got, I like 'em all!" and maybe something will show up.

John Hinkey

NAWCC Member
Feb 21, 2022
Country
Make sure you tell them if they find your goods at another pawnshop both of them can share in the reward, most pawnbrokers I know have at least some sort of relationship with others in their trade.

another thing you do is put adds in the paper and social media that you are buying old watches; open a gmail account just for that and say something like "send pictures of what you got, I like 'em all!" and maybe something will show up.
Thanks. Already put an ad in CL advertising to buy old pocket watches. Had one person respond, but they did not follow-up to my reply to them.
- John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoseM.
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-