• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Three new acquisitions

UncleDoc

NAWCC Member
Apr 4, 2020
Colonie, NY
Country
Region
One mechanical and two electric. They were cheap enough and my wife (who asked if I wanted the Sherline Lathe for Christmas. I'm about 3/4 of the way there money wise) said I needed them. The Hammond is the nicest. in my opinion. Marble or Onyx?

IMG_1258.jpg IMG_1259.jpg IMG_1257.jpg IMG_1256.jpg IMG_1255.jpg IMG_1254.jpg

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Marble or Onyx?
My guess would be Onyx.

The mechanical clock is from Hamburg American Company (HAC / HAU). We have recently seen two of these Delft style clocks from HAC and they were both from 1928. If you show a clear picture of the back of the movement, we may be able to refine the date of manufacture.

Regards.

UncleDoc

NAWCC Member
Apr 4, 2020
Colonie, NY
Country
Region
Photo attached. Small text on the movement reads:

Hamburg Amerikanische
Uhren = ABRK
Schramberg Germany

IMG_1260.jpg

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Photo attached. Small text on the movement reads:

Hamburg Amerikanische
Uhren = ABRK
Schramberg Germany

View attachment 624991
Your movement is the HAC number 52 movement.

The date code (or what appears to be a date code) of "2 27" would indicate a manufacturing date of February, 1927.

HAC was acquired by Junghans in 1930, but Junghans and HAC had some type of "collaboration" prior to the acquisition. Although HAC did not date code their movements prior to the Jungahns acquisition (Junghans date coded their own clocks from 1901 to some time in the 1950s), we have seen date coding (in the Junghans protocol) in the years just prior to the acquisition.

The "month [space] two digit year" dating protocol (which is on your clock) was used by Junghans for the 1928 production year. For the 1927 production year, Junghans has been documented to use either "A27" or B27" as a date code. I do not believe that the "month [space] two digit year" dating protocol has been previously documented for 1927, but I feel comfortable in saying that the "2 27" was a Junghans dating code applied to an HAC movement.

Regards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin W.

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Based on the information on the back, the second clock appears to be from Telechron, and the last clock from Hammond. I'm not familiar with the model names for either of these companies, but perhaps someone will be along shortly to provide additional information. Your collection certainly seems to be growing quickly. Congratulations on the new finds!

UncleDoc

NAWCC Member
Apr 4, 2020
Colonie, NY
Country
Region
Based on the information on the back, the second clock appears to be from Telechron, and the last clock from Hammond. I'm not familiar with the model names for either of these companies, but perhaps someone will be along shortly to provide additional information. Your collection certainly seems to be growing quickly. Congratulations on the new finds!
Thanks. My progress is a bit stunted as I'm still needing sleeves to go with my Joe Collins spring winder and the need of a lathe to polish pivots. My family is hooking me up for Christmas, so I'm happy. I've accumulated a nice pile of stuff to work on. Loving the journey.

Duane

Reactions: TJ Cornish and PatH

UncleDoc

NAWCC Member
Apr 4, 2020
Colonie, NY
Country
Region
Your movement is the HAC number 52 movement.

The date code (or what appears to be a date code) of "2 27" would indicate a manufacturing date of February, 1927.

HAC was acquired by Junghans in 1930, but Junghans and HAC had some type of "collaboration" prior to the acquisition. Although HAC did not date code their movements prior to the Jungahns acquisition (Junghans date coded their own clocks from 1901 to some time in the 1950s), we have seen date coding (in the Junghans protocol) in the years just prior to the acquisition.

The "month [space] two digit year" dating protocol (which is on your clock) was used by Junghans for the 1928 production year. For the 1927 production year, Junghans has been documented to use either "A27" or B27" as a date code. I do not believe that the "month [space] two digit year" dating protocol has been previously documented for 1927, but I feel comfortable is saying that the "2 27" was a Junghans dating code applied to an HAC movement.

Regards.
Very cool, thanks for the info. How do you know all this? Experience or a reference?

Duane

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
How do you know all this? Experience or a reference?
This specific answers I provided above are from experience that I gained from the information contained in these forums. This information came from both references and the diligent research that has been performed by members who have shared this information.

The NAWCC is the best source for the most up-to-date and accurate information regarding horology.

Regards.

Reactions: roughbarked

UncleDoc

NAWCC Member
Apr 4, 2020
Colonie, NY
Country
Region
This specific answers I provided above are from experience that I gained from the information contained in these forums. This information came from both references and the diligent research that has been performed by members who have shared this information.

The NAWCC is the best source for the most up-to-date and accurate information regarding horology.

Regards.
Thank you sir, just curious. Wish I sarted this quest a long time ago.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Hamburg Amerikanische
Uhren = ABRK
Schramberg Germany
What you are reading as Hamburg Amerikanische Uhren=ABRK actually says Hamburg Amerikanische Uhren-Fabrik.

It's not too important as far as you enquiry goes, but that's the correct reading.

JTD

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
I also just got an HAC Delft clock, missing the pendulum. The one on yours looks quite unique, but it is cut off in the photo. Would love to see all of it if not too much trouble. Very fond of the Delft clocks. Yours is lovely.

S_Owsley

NAWCC Member
Jan 24, 2011
San Francisco
Country
Region
If you hit the magnify plus sign on the enlarged image, you can drag the window to see the bottom of the clock.

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Thanks for the tip. I did use that, but even with the magnifying plus, the bottom of the pendulum is cut off in the photo. And, I was hoping to see the pendulum from the front.

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Thanks for showing it. I think finding that one with that inner rim line is going to take a long search. But now I know exactly what it looks like.

UncleDoc

NAWCC Member
Apr 4, 2020
Colonie, NY
Country
Region
Thanks for showing it. I think finding that one with that inner rim line is going to take a long search. But now I know exactly what it looks like.
Looks like it cold be readily duplicated on a lathe by a moderately skilled machinist.

rlwindle

Mar 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
Country
Region
One mechanical and two electric. They were cheap enough and my wife (who asked if I wanted the Sherline Lathe for Christmas. I'm about 3/4 of the way there money wise) said I needed them. The Hammond is the nicest. in my opinion. Marble or Onyx?

View attachment 624976 View attachment 624977 View attachment 624978 View attachment 624979 View attachment 624980 View attachment 624981
The last one was made by the partnership of Whitehall (English high end jeweler) and Laurens Hammond's Hammond Clock Co. The partnership lasted from 1928 to 1931, If you look around down by the 6 it should say Whitehall-Hammond the base is black Brazilian marble the top is green Brazilian onyx. These were very pricey and opulent clocks at their time, the depression helped end the partnership. Hammond kept making clocks until 1941 when he switched to manufacturing Hammond Organs. The pictures below are Whitehall Hammond clocks.

Sophisticated lady clock set.JPG Clock and Garnitures.jpg WHH Clock front.jpg Whitehall Hammond Logo.jpg flull clock.jpg

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
You dont need a lathe to polish clock pivots. You can get a old door hinge and make a tool for this job.

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
There is a nice article on Hammond clocks in the April 2001 Bulletin. NAWCC members can access it here: Log In

Reactions: Bila