three keywind holes??

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by cpatrick, May 11, 2005.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. cpatrick

cpatrick Registered User

Sep 17, 2004
    hello,i have a really dumb question!help.
    this hamilton,tempus fugile has three key winding holes,i thought the middle one was for clock speed!
    it has stopped running and so i cleaned and oiled,because of the dried up grease, put it back together and wound the center key wind hole.
    do i wind all three to keep it running??
    and what it the middle ones purpose!!
    thanks everyone,
    still learning
    c.patrick http://photos10.flickr.com/13489790_f0e0a04ddc_o.jpg

2. cpatrick

cpatrick Registered User

Sep 17, 2004
    hello,i have a really dumb question!help.
    this hamilton,tempus fugile has three key winding holes,i thought the middle one was for clock speed!
    it has stopped running and so i cleaned and oiled,because of the dried up grease, put it back together and wound the center key wind hole.
    do i wind all three to keep it running??
    and what it the middle ones purpose!!
    thanks everyone,
    still learning
    c.patrick http://photos10.flickr.com/13489790_f0e0a04ddc_o.jpg

3. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You cleaned and oiled, but did that include dismantling the works? If so it'd be easy to figure out what does what.

Usually the middle is for the time, and the side holes are for the chime, and for the strike. If you want to hear the chime and strike (as well as the time) then yes, all 3 springs must be wound.

And don't worry, there are no stupid questions. It's always better to ask and make sure.

4. cpatrick

cpatrick Registered User

Sep 17, 2004
    hi sooth,thanks for the quick reply,yes i did see this when i took it apart and that is why i wound it after installing it again,this is my first clock like this.whew..
    so i guess this accounts for the clock to stop running!!
    on my sessions mantel clock, it has three holes with the one in the middle being smaller for clock speed.
    so this was a surprise, thank you.
    c.patrick

5. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, CP let's make more certain you understand:
    The center hole in every three holer I've seen - is for "TIME" - makes the clock run. Most all have the hour strike on the left and the melody on the right. NONE of these regulates speed ( regulation ) Now there are some clocks that have a double-ended key and there'll be a liddle eaky tweeky hole at the very top near "12" for "speed". That is the ONLY SPEED regulation on the FRONT of any clock I've seen. You may be aware that the clock speed changes as the spring unwinds. That's the physics of a spring - more power fully wound. But you don't regulate the speed by the amount of winding. You FULLY wind ALL three once a week if it's a ONE WEEK running clock.

6. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just finishing up a similar clock with the Hamilton logo. It has a Hermle triple chime movement # 1050-020, with a floating balance. Case is in the shape of a bracket clock. Circa 1974. Yes, the center hole is for time, one on right for chime, and left for strike. How is it working now? Harold

7. cpatrick

cpatrick Registered User

Sep 17, 2004
    scottie,my other clocks had only two holes,my sessions has three with the little bittie one by the 12 to regulate speed.
    then i bought this one and had three holes,so i wuz suspecting same thing!nope differant, i find out.
    harold,it did good,ran all night and today but lost about 15 minutes:???: still tick tock tick tock.
    yall are great,thanks
    c.patrick

8. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In general but not always: A clock with one big winding arbor is a timepiece. It makes no sounds - displays time only. There may be a "passing strike" on such a timepiece. That is where a hammer is lifted during motion that will produce a SINGLE strike on every hour. One with two winding holes is usually a striking clock. That means it will strike or COUNT the hour and sometimes but not always strike once on the half hour. One reason I say "usually" is I know "WATERBURY" made a "time only" clock that used two mainspring in parallel. So it has two winding holes but still only a timepiece. Now clocks with three large winding holes are usually CHIMING clocks meaning there is a melody. The reason I say usually is because I have seen at least one chiming clock (seth?) with only two holes that uses some kind of remontoire or such that provides a melody with only two arbors.

9. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    CP, did you wind it fully? And did you clean the floating balance separate from the clock movement? I usually clean mine in naptha gas (camping fuel), which evaporates quickly after soaking. Do not oil this unit. It is adjustable for timekeeping if all else fails. Harold

10. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Scottie,

Sessions made a two train westminster chime; have one in the shop at this time. Had to refer to Conover's Chime Clock Repair for a few notes since you don't see them very often. Also a short while back had a Waterbury two train westminster chime. It is also discussed in Conover's book. The sessions has both a quarter rack and an hour rack one behind the other. Quite interesting and can be somewhat of a pain to get everything working together.

Regards,
    Richard T.

11. Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Mike306p/Ansoniaman Registered User

Jan 12, 2001
    Recently retired Police Officer 40 years
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Linnet, Welcome to our site and now it is yours too. Welcome again. Your crossed arrows movement is Hamburg American. Up towards the top of this page there are the words go, post new topic and find , click on it, type in a topic that you are curious about. If that has been discussed previously the info should/could be there. If not,you can start your own topic next time, again by the word go etc..Mike

12. clutions

clutions Registered User

Jun 28, 2005
    et. al.

I have a Plymouth 891L Napolen(sp) with "Three holes" (two large and one 'teeny weeny'). The large one on the left (at 8:30) is for time, the large on on the right (at 3:30) is for stike, and the 'teeny weeny' (just below center) is for regulate.

Just thought I'd throw this in FWIW.

13. RL

RL Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Country Flag:
    O.K.--Here is the way it works. Large keyfit arbors are for time,strike or chime depending on your clock. As for regulating--It should be a smaller hole and may take screwdriver etc.
    If it is in fact the regulator with keyfit arbor---than it should still be smaller hole and smaller arbor. The tip off (provinding you have the original key), is that the key will be double ended. The small end will be for the small,regulating arbor--the large end is for T,S,C. Even if you have a keyfit regulating arbor--adjustments are usually done in small increments. Hope this helps clear this up for anyone not sure of this.

Clutions--by the way--you have my same picture with your name. Now it looks like Sherlock Holmes is everywhere!

cheers---------------------------Randy

14. clutions

clutions Registered User

Jun 28, 2005
    #14 clutions, Jun 29, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2017
    Thanks for the info ... Plus, now there is only one Sherlock ... as there always has been.

best,

15. RL

RL Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Hey Clutions--cool--where did you find that pic?
    Kinda ressembles A. Einstein

16. clutions

clutions Registered User

Jun 28, 2005
    #16 clutions, Jun 29, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2017
    It's an avatar that was wrapped with PHP-BBS that I was using on one of my web sites.