Threadless pendants?

Leo Ross

Feb 23, 2021
Rising Sun, Indiana
Country
Region
I am trying to learn everything there is to know about antique pocket watch cases. I have several that don’t have any threads on the inside of the pendant and don’t have a cap or threads on the outside of the pendant and also have no setscrew. I have no idea how to proceed putting a stem and sleeve and crown in these cases? I will try to include some photos but know going in ,there is no set screw, and there are no threads on the inside or the outside of the pendant. I’m quite sure that this is a very easy question for most of the people on this site. I am the epitome of a rookie. Thank you for your kindness and compassion in advance… Leo

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
Pictures and sizes will help. You could be describing cases for some stem-setting models where the stem is locked into the movement with a detent screw (e.g. Waltham 1888 or 1889 models or early Hamiltons) or where the stem screws into the internal setting parts (e.g. some Waltham 1884 and 1889 models). You could also be describing some late model cases (1920s and later) that have very short stems with a sleeve that fit, without thread, into the pendant from the inside of the case.

It will be easier to keep responses straight if you just make follow-up posts to the same thread. I am asking the moderators to combine your posts.

Last edited:

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
Please see my response to your other post. This case will not need a sleeve for the type of movement originally intended for it. The stem will attach to the movement in one fashion or the other. Is this a 16-size case or a ladies' size case?

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
I think you need movements with the stem attached to the movement for these cases. Very common on European made watches from the era.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcos Scheuenstuhl
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller