Thread Views Using Ipad Safari or Firefox

jshopper1

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2009
South Carolina
Country
Region
Sorry if this has been discussed already.

When I log into the forums on my Ipad using either Apple Safari or Mozilla Firefox, the number of times that each thread has been viewed does not show. Number of replies, yes; views, no.

Interesting that I can use the “FILTER” button and sort the forum by views, ascending or descending. Still when I do this I don’t see the view numbers, just the threads in the order that I selected.

Of course when I log in on my Windows based notebook using Firefox I can see the number of thread views perfectly.

Is there anything that I can do on my end to see the number of views on my Ipad? Or is it a system problem?

Thanks in advance.

Dennis Lockwood

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
I don’t see the number of replies or views on my iPhone in portrait mode, but when I turn it 90° clockwise and move it into landscape mode I do see them.

Can you please try that and let us know?

jshopper1

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2009
South Carolina
Country
Region
I don’t see the number of replies or views on my iPhone in portrait mode, but when I turn it 90° clockwise and move it into landscape mode I do see them.

Can you please try that and let us know?

Bruce,

Huh, never thought of that. Good suggestion. Thanks.

I always surf in the landscape mode. And the view data does not show in landscape. Replies, yes; views, no. So I flipped my Ipad to portrait and bingo. I can see view data and replies. Flip back to landscape and no view data.

Only thing is my experiment result is exactly opposite of your suggestion.

Head scratch.

jshopper1

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2009
South Carolina
Country
Region
Bruce,

Huh, never thought of that. Good suggestion. Thanks.

I always surf in the landscape mode. And the view data does not show in landscape. Replies, yes; views, no. So I flipped my Ipad to portrait and bingo. I can see view data and replies. Flip back to landscape and no view data.

Only thing is my experiment result is exactly opposite of your suggestion.

Head scratch.

Something else that may have a bearing.

In landscape I see ads on the right side of my screen.

In portrait I don’t see the ads on the right. In portrait I do see reply and view data on the right.

Thanks again.

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
All of that stuff is controlled by css... cascading style sheets. These are ancillary files define what things look like in all view sizes. In order for them to work they need to check screen with to determine what can and can’t be displayed. I’ve also noticed that CSS files can get cached by browsers… This behavior might change if you were to empty your cache.

I wouldn’t do it… Not worth the bother... But let us know if something changes

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
Dennis, your browser reports itself as "Apple Mail." I do not think I have seen that before. What does your browser say it is to you?

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
so on the desktop version of safari you can go to prefs --> advanced and enable the 'develop' menu.

once you've done so, you'll get a new menu... with an option to 'select user agent'... which allow you to 'identify' your browser as whatever you'd like.... and receive different content targeted at different browsers.

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 1.14.05 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 1.13.45 PM.jpg

jshopper1

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2009
South Carolina
Country
Region
Dennis, your browser reports itself as "Apple Mail." I do not think I have seen that before. What does your browser say it is to you?
Tom,

Thanks for the reply.

I’m not sure that I understand your question nor how to answer intelligently.

If I look at Settings - General - Name I named my Ipad “Ipad Air.”

I don’t know that Firefox for Ipad asks to be named.

I have no clue where “Apple Mail” came from. Can you prompt me where to look?

jshopper1

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2009
South Carolina
Country
Region
so on the desktop version of safari you can go to prefs --> advanced and enable the 'develop' menu.

once you've done so, you'll get a new menu... with an option to 'select user agent'... which allow you to 'identify' your browser as whatever you'd like.... and receive different content targeted at different browsers.

View attachment 631683

View attachment 631682

Bruce and Tom,

Thank both of you for your kind attention to my problem.

Bruce’s suggestion about rotating my Ipad solves this puzzler to my satisfaction. I can see the view data and that satisfies me.

I don’t want to take up any more of your time. I’m good with things as they are.

Thanks again to both of you.

Best regards,

Dennis Lockwood

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jiceconi
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-