Thoughts on paint

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by KurtinSA, Apr 2, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Next up is this Schatz Model 49 dated "3 56". As you can see, the paint on the columns and pendulum are chipping away. The dial is very crinckley and really beyond help as far as I can tell...but is "presentable" from a slight distance. The other stuff though looks bad. It appears that the base was never painted.

My past experience with painting something didn't go well at all...not something I really want to repeat. I plan on polishing the base and bringing back the brass. It would be nice if the columns and pendulum could be touched up in some way. What are my options?

Thanks...Kurt

SchatzPaint1.jpg SchatzPaint2.jpg

2. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 John Hubby, Apr 2, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    Kurt, for the posts I do the following:
    • Strip the old paint, then polish the brass in your usual way.
    • Removed all residual polish using acetone or lacquer thinner.
    • Cut a strip of painter's tape to the exact width of the unpainted location in the center of each post and put it in place. Leave a small tab sticking up so it can be easily removed after painting.
    • Place the posts on a wooden dowel that is a close but not tight fit, then "chock" the dowel in place using flat toothpicks at either end of the post. Warm the part somewhat using a hair dryer before application of the paint. Place one end of the rod on a firm support like a wood block with a "V" notch to keep the rod in position, then spray paint while you are rotating it to get an even, "wet" look and then stop. Continue to rotate the rod for a couple of minutes to be sure you don't get any running. I use Tamiya or Testor's spray model lacquer of matching color, they have a range of colors that are quite good. You may have to order online to get the color you want.
    Basically same procedure to repaint the pendulum ball covers except I just place them on a clean dry surface to paint. I also use the painter's tape for these to keep the bright brass center ring.

When it involves repainting a base, I use a different method since it is almost impossible to get painter's tape to hold in position to have the bright rings that are there originally. I do cover the center of the base with paper and painter's tape but use an X-Acto knife to cut away excess tape around the periphery of the base center. Otherwise I use the same prep procedure and painting steps but for the base apply two coats, allowing the first to set for a couple of hours before applying the second. When the second coat is dry to a light touch, I again use the X-Acto knife to cut a line in the grooves around the circumference of each ring that is to remain unpainted. When this has been done, you can lift the paint from the brass using the point of your knife, and then peel off the strip around the base. Very easy to do with some practice.

3. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, John. I'll have to give that a try. First, I'll just try and get the clock running...I can always come back and paint things. Not sure I want to do the base in color, although the other 3-4 varieties of this style of Schatz all have a painted base. Don't know why this one doesn't...I can't see any signs it was ever painted...could be a replacement base. I have two Schatz clocks with unpainted bases.

Kurt

4. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    John -

I presume you mean Tamiya paint. I googled Kamiya but couldn't find that.

And Tamiya has TS and AS sprays for plastic models as well as PS sprays for polycarbonate models. Does it make a difference when using on brass?

Kurt

5. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Typo, my bad. Have corrected in my post. I have not seen any difference on brass. When the metal is completely clean and free of any organic material the lacquer adheres quite well.

6. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I found some Testor gloss dark red locally...the top of the spray can looked promising but after application, not so much!! The left is the original while the right is the dark red. Have tried other ideas of finding this color. Tried the autoparts store, the big box hardware store. The hobby shop guy thought it was essentially the color of some early 1990s Chrysler cars...black cherry, code PM9 according to the Chrysler dealer. Looking online, it seems that their color claret red metallic PM4 is better. I tried a regular paint store and didn't get much help. Good ideas, but so far hitting dead ends.

Kurt

PaintSample.jpg

7. Randy Beckett

Randy Beckett Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 23, 2012
    33 yr. employee of American Electric Power Company
    Mt. Pleasant, Tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The lighting makes all the difference in how a color looks. Even though I know it is the same piece, the color appears much different in your original picture and the latest one, even though I assume both were taken with the same camera. Did you take the piece with you when you went to the paint store? I have seen them use a electronic color detecting Gizmo on a paint chip to match amazingly close to a chip of paint on a house. Assume someone could do the same to match the appropriate type paint for this.

Nice color. I would call it some kind of "Plum" looking at your last picture.

8. Harry Hopkins

Harry Hopkins Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 16, 2011
    Retired Instrument Technician
    Mason, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree with Randy that they can match colors pretty precisely. I have had good luck by just taking a small piece of trim and they matched it... The problem might be quantity.. I think my paint store only mixes by the gallon.... that's a lot of clocks!

9. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, different lighting for the two pictures, indoors versus outdoors...same smartphone. I did have the part by a local paint store, one I'd used before to determine colors for another clock I was working on. Those results were less than wonderful. But today, the same store said they couldn't use their color matching "gizmo" on such a small curved piece.

Kurt

10. Harry Hopkins

NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 16, 2011
    Mason, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Correction... My buddy just told me that Home Depot mixed him up a half pint color matched 'sample' to test on his drywall.. He did not remember the price but said it was pretty cheap for the small sample. Maybe all paint stores will mix up small quantities.

11. Peter W

Peter W Registered User

Nov 23, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    A small hole drilled in wooden peg and end of about 30cm of string threaded and tied off. Tie other end so all is hanging down. Twist the string a few times and release when ready to spray so the brass piece is spinning round. This lets you concentrate on the spray job while the unravelling string rotates.

12. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Interesting idea! I was able to chuck up the wooden dowel in my drill and spin them while spraying. I wasn't chewing gum at the same time, so it worked out OK!

I found some paint that looks promising. A Chrysler and a Ford paint...they're metallic so I'll have to see if that works against me. I'll probably be able to see the flakes in bright sunlight, but maybe for the something sitting on a shelf maybe not so much. I'll do some test sprays soon.

Kurt

13. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    OK, here are some more paint samples. As I said both of these are metallic so there's going to be some metal flake in them. One picture is in bright sun, the other is more or less in the same lighting condition inside as the first set of picture...at least it represents traditional lighting one might have in a room on a shelf, etc. This is only two coats...I'd probably go with a third coat and likely need to improve me technique. But it's a start.

In full sun, the left sample seems to look better. Inside, it's not so cut and dried but the right one seems like it would be better. And the metal flake really doesn't jump out. When I hold the dial up behind these with indoor light, the right one looks pretty good. I've already spent more on paint than I have on acquiring the clock...I hate to make such a big production out it.

Kurt

PaintSample2Sun.jpg PaintSample2Inside.jpg

14. PatH

PatH Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looking good! Think of it as a learning experience on where to acquire the paint as well as technique. And we all get to share in the learning! :D

15. Harry Hopkins

NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 16, 2011
    Mason, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree with PatH.. once you figure all of this out the rest of us will benefit. I understand that you have spent more on paint that the clock but I imagine we all have spent more on a part or a tool to make a part for a clock than the clock was worth... It's what makes up happy that counts.

PatH likes this.
  16. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm made a few steps forward but not quite there. I ended up being directed to a paint place downtown, Finish Masters. I brought my original column with me and we looked at some paint chips. I chose one that was labeled burgundy...it looked a little light on paper but I thought it might darken with more layers. Well that didn't really happen. While it is more than good enough for what I'm doing, I felt it could be a closer color match. I went back today and they adjusted the quart I had purchased on Friday and made me up another spray can...looks much better in the can. It's an acrylic enamel paint.

I'm certainly a novice at this. I've prepped the brass columns as suggested by John and chucked the wooden dowel in my electric drill. I can spin the dowel at a slow speed and apply coats of paint...they dry pretty fast. I'm holding the can about 12 inches away from the column. The result is a surface finish that is not smooth as the original factory paint was. I thought the paint would level a bit more than that. Research online suggests things that control orange peel are distance of spray, the nozzle, the mix of the paint with other chemicals like levelers. The people at the paint store say that's what you're going to get with spray paints.

So, is that it? Is there anything I can do to get a smoother finish? It's more or less OK but was hoping to get it better. Looks like I can't control the nozzle or what's in the spray can. Should I get closer and/or spray thicker coats? I'm hoping to avoid runs.

Thanks...Kurt

17. Les Sanders

Les Sanders Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Apr 3, 2010
    Clock Repairman
    Sahuarita Arizona
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Try multiple thin color coats and then put a similar quality gloss clear over the color coat.