Thoughts on O.G. Clocks

Jessk09

NAWCC Member
Feb 27, 2020
Country
Hello all, i have recently been considering buying a Waterbury O.G. [Ogee] clock that [according to the seller] ran, and had both the weights and pendulum. Before i buy, i would like to hear peoples thoughts on these.

Regards, Nick

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
the rules prohibit discussion of live auction or sale items, but since you provide no specifics all i can really say is: condition is everything... except for price, location, originality and a whole bunch of other details. :)

if you like it, and it looks good to you, and the price feels right/appropriate... go for it.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
In general, they are the very best clocks to learn clock repair on. And coincidentally, they all will usually need a good bit of repair. :) Willie X

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
There are no shortage of Ogee clocks around. My fav is a 8 day ogee, i dont like winding one daily. Nice clock to learn on as well. Good luck and enjoy.

Reactions: Arthur Cagle

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
This is not a new discussion by any means. Look around the Forums for earlier ones and the numerous examples of ogee's of all types previously posted.

To me, the ogee case is a simple but brilliant industrial design.

Relatively easy and economical to mass produce in a range of facilities, i.e., from a small picture frame or molding shop to a large, mechanized factory.

The case may be dressed up in any type of veneer or combination thereof, though mahogany seems to have been favored.

The lower door can have a mirror (a luxury item early on) and any # of types of tablets: hand painted, stenciled, geometric, decalcomania, cut and ground.

The case can accommodate a variety of movements driven by weights, springs, fusees in a # of different sizes of cases.

Their form allowed them to be easily packed and shipped in numbers. And no vulnerable scrolls, splats or feet.

All this added up to putting a pretty, practical and durable clock within reach of many who might otherwise not have been able to afford one or would have to settle from some Black Forest wag on the wall rather than a brass movement clock or depended upon a public clock for time.

taking the census.jpg

So, no mystery why many 1000's were made and many 1000's survive.

And many still quite affordable today. Like this one:

brewster& ingraham ogee 1.JPG brewster& ingraham ogee 6.JPG

So much for the oft repeated bromide that genuinely antique clocks are not to be found or are too expensive?

RM

Last edited:

wspohn

Feb 3, 2020
www.rhodo.citymax.com
Country
Region
I use these as 'chronology paintings' - hang them on the wall like pictures. They are decorative, something nice to play with if you want to do a bit of maintenance and not worth the time to wind all the time if they are 30 hour (which most seem to be).

There is a similar clock, the 'half column' style, which are taller but very similar in concept and more seem to be 8 day movements. You may want to look at those, too.

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
Well, if we were a bit closer I could fix you up with several 8-day ogees. One or two might well be free and a few quite reasonable. I am downsizing and have owned a lot of ogees. I like them. But, shipping them to you is out of the question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellaurin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-