Thoughts on my Paean to Rood, Perry and Cain

DeweyC

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2007
Baltimore
www.historictimekeepers.com
Country
AS I prepare my new shop, I am thinking about how to organize my watches. Given how little has been published about the lives and friendships of Cain, Rood and Perry I am thinking of a physical display of their careers.

I am thinking of grouping the watches:

New York
Hampden Springfield
Hampden Canton (up to 1891)
Lancaster/Keystone (Cain's experiment)
Aurora post 1891 (Rood and Cain)
Hamilton pre 1910
Hamilton Post 1910
Illinois (post 1929)

This partnership spanned around 40 years and the watches as a group represent their work in the evolution of true mass production.

I would like to know what Perry was doing between 1888 and 1896. Does anyone have documentation?

In time I hope to flesh out the story of this remarkable trio by using contemporary accounts. But it is clear they did not just drop out of the ether to create the Hamilton revolution. It was intentional and the culmination of lots of experience with what works and what did not in manufacturing, inventory control, production standards, marketing, distribution and parts supply. They essentially systematized and rationalized the whole operation on day one in 1896.

Compare this to the way Waltham did things in 1896. Night and day.

Are there any other side efforts by any of these three that I am missing?

Regards,

Dewey

Greg Frauenhoff

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Perry was working for Aurora in 1891/92. I have some period references somewhere and will post when they surface. Also, he was still working for Hampden in 1888.

Reactions: DeweyC

DeweyC

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2007
Baltimore
Country
Perry was working for Aurora in 1891/92. I have some period references somewhere and will post when they surface. Also, he was still working for Hampden in 1888.
Thanks Greg.

Perry was at Aurora in 1891? I think this predates when Rood took over the factory (I think 1892?).

DeweyC

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2007
Baltimore
Country
Dewey,

Cain and Rood bought Aurora (with a few other minor investors) in 1890.

Greg
Greg,

IIRC, the Stark County Democrat reported Rood did not get his money from Dueber until late 1891/early 1892. Also, did not Dueber look at it with him? Dueber and Rood had some joint land ownership as well I think. I have to dig out the files; but I think I am recalling correctly from the archive copy of the newspaper I posted last year. OTOH, I often forget why I went into the bathroom.

Reactions: Old rookie

Greg Frauenhoff

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Greg,

IIRC, the Stark County Democrat reported Rood did not get his money from Dueber until late 1891/early 1892. Also, did not Dueber look at it with him? Dueber and Rood had some joint land ownership as well I think. I have to dig out the files; but I think I am recalling correctly from the archive copy of the newspaper I posted last year. OTOH, I often forget why I went into the bathroom.
Aurora was sold on August 30, 1890, to a syndicate fronted by S. D. Seamons. The members of such were Charles Rood, Henry Cain, E. W. Trask, C. C. Earle and J. Mason, in addition to Seamons. Rood held the controlling share.

Reactions: 4thdimension

DeweyC

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2007
Baltimore
Country
Great. Thanks Greg. Do you know when Perry started w/ Aurora?

Also, the Dueber scheme to avoid prompt payment of the notes held by Rood fits in here somehow. I wonder if Rood needed the money to close on the deal in 1892?

Anyway, there is much to be documented and you have helped me piece some of this together.

My primary interest at the moment is how they found each other and formed such a long-lasting friendship and partnership. There is more to that story than "they came together at New York Watch".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrydodge
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller