Thos Shurwood Yarmouth tall clock - info wanted

Mike Brown

Dec 13, 2019
Country
I'm looking for info on this clockmaker. Forum and internet searches yield nothing. Does anyone have info on this maker? I believe this is Yarmouth England.

Thos Shurwood 1.JPG Thos Shurwood 2.JPG Thos Shurwood 3.JPG

Mike Brown

Dec 13, 2019
Country
Could you provide the source of your info? - and, thank you for the quick response!

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Baillies watchmakers and clockmakers of the world. Clocks & watches attributed to him

Les harland

Apr 10, 2008
Hertfordshire England
Country
Region
Is it Yarm, a small town in Yorkshire?
The two Yarmouths are Great Yarnouth in Norfolk and Yarmouth Isle of Wight

Is it Sherwood?
Loomes Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World shows two Thomas Sherwoods, Father and Son, working in Yarm

Last edited:

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Is it Yarm, a small town in Yorkshire?
The two Yarmouths are Great Yarnouth in Norfolk and Yarmouth Isle of Wight
It's possible, but it has a full stop after it, bioth on the clock and in the book.

However looking in the Yorkshire book it does seem to be Yarm in Yorkshire. There were a lot of Thomases, the first born about 1744, the last in Yarm listed at the shop in Front street in 1840. This could just about be by any of the three in Yarm, but I think by the first.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
However looking in the Yorkshire book it does seem to be Yarm in Yorkshire
I also believe this to be YARM (the full name of a town in Yorkshire), not one of the towns named Yarmouth.

It's possible, but it has a full stop after it, bioth on the clock and in the book.
That's true, but people seem to have been rather free with full stops on dials back in the day, not always meaning an abbreviation. I have one marked King's Lynn with a stop. The dial of the OP's clock has plenty of room to write Yarmouth in full, if that had been what the town was called.

JTD

Les harland

Apr 10, 2008
Hertfordshire England
Country
Region
I also believe this to be YARM (the full name of a town in Yorkshire), not one of the towns named Yarmouth.
JTD
Loomes does not list any Sherwoods in Norfolk or the Isle of Wight
Also there are no Shurwoods listed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcfly88
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff