Thorens music box

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by disciple_dan, Sep 11, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. disciple_dan

disciple_dan Registered User
    Donor

Mar 10, 2016
    Male
    Plant City
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Does anyone know where to go to learn about mechanical music machines? I have this simple one here to start on. Not quite sure how to let down the spring. Haven't found the click yet.
    Thanks, Danny
    20190911_195207musicbox.jpg 20190911_195454musicbox1.jpg

2. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm not familiar with the movement, but one caution for all pinned drum music boxes is to not let it "run". That is, to remove the fly or set the gear mesh where the drum can spin at too high a speed. It's bad for the pins in the drum and can cause the comb teeth to break.
    If it can be made to operate, at all, maybe just oil it up really good and run it down with whatever light additional pressure is needed to keep it moving until the spring is all the way down.
    Mark Kinsler (kinsler33 on this site) recently helped me find some info about AD30s on MMdigest.com and the denizens, there.

disciple_dan likes this.
  3. disciple_dan

Donor

Mar 10, 2016
    Male
    Plant City
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you, Martin, I'm creating an account over there at MMdigest now. Thanks for the advice.

4. disciple_dan

Donor

Mar 10, 2016
    Male
    Plant City
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I know this is not clock talk but can anyone tell me how to let down the spring on this music box? I've tried to join the MMdigest.com but they never did send the confirmation email from sign up. I won't ask for anymore help on this site. Thanks if you can. Danny

5. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    #5 Willie X, Sep 14, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    dd,

The spring lets down kinda like an alarm clock.

You really need a let down tool with threads to match the winding arbor but with extra care you can use the regular MB key.

Locate the ratchet pawl and figure out how it works. It's located below the main drive (crown) gear. With a good light and the right angle you can usually see the pawl. If not, I would wait for further more precise instructions.

If you can be sure about how the pawl works, rock the key foward, release the pawl and rock the key back about 1/2 turn and allow the pawl to catch. Repeat until the spring is let down. Then you can remove the screws holding the spring cover to the base plate. The cover serves as a barrel, an outer arbor support, and the inner pin drum bearing.

Hope this helps, Willie X

6. disciple_dan

Donor

Mar 10, 2016
    Male
    Plant City
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    20190911_211402[1].jpg
    That does help, Willie. I managed to get the spring let down as Martin had suggested. I let it play out and then removed the fly and helped it wind the rest of the way down. Very carefully with my let down tool in the square top post, I removed the barrel. Then I remove the small gear on top. I'm not sure of the purpose of that gear. I don't see the way to remove the spring from the barrel yet. The click seems to be penned on the bottom and I can't seem to pry that lobe from the top of the square post. I'm looking at it. I hope to see it soon.
    I know this isn't a clock job but I would appreciate any help you can offer. there doesn't seem to be much instruction on the subject.
    Thanks, Danny
    20190914_204709.jpg 20190914_204654.jpg

7. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    dd,

The method you used to let the spring down might be the only practical way, with that 3 fingered spring click araingement!

That is a small Maltese style stop works on top and it looks like that finger part is staked on the square. Supporting the base of the spring housing well, while applying a few light but sharp taps to the top of the arbor might move that stop works finger, or at least loosen it so you can get under it better to pry it off.

Be very careful, MB parts are very few and very far between!

Willie X

8. disciple_dan

Donor

Mar 10, 2016
    Male
    Plant City
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #8 disciple_dan, Sep 15, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Sounds like a good plan, Willie. I did try prying a little but I do not want to screw this one up. I own it but I plan on giving it to someone very special. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks, Danny
    P.S. I wanted to ask if I should unfasten the spring loop from the housing and remove it from the housing for cleaning? I tried turning it backward but the arbor just slipped in the spring. I can probably do it from the outside at the hook hole.

9. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    It would be best to unhook it before you pull the arbor out more than about 1/4". This assumes you can get the little stop finger off. That will allow you to remove the arbor, leaving the spring in place. The spring can be easily removed by hand but be careful about the outer attachment point, their are many ways that this is done. On some the spring has tab that needs to be rotated 90 degrees.

These things aren't really intended to be serviced but I guess it's a good thing as long as nothing breaks!

Willie X

10. disciple_dan

Donor

Mar 10, 2016
    Male
    Plant City
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It worked just as you said Willie, But it was very difficult. It was very dirty too. Thanks again, you gave me the confidence to see it thru. Now, if I can just figure out how to get the spring back in. Danny
    20190915_195720.jpg

11. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There's always a catch :D

disciple_dan likes this.
  12. steamer471

steamer471 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Male
    Self employed
    Charlotte NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am working on one of these and wanted to know if you ever got the spring back in? i have clock and watch winders, this darn thing is right in the middle as far as size. Can't do it by hand unless there is a trick I don't know about.

13. disciple_dan

Donor

Mar 10, 2016
    Male
    Plant City
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No, I never did get that spring back in. It's a very difficult job. You must need some kind of special tool. My shop is in a box right now as I am moving to a new location. I hope to be working on the thoren's music box again soon. I'll try to keep this thread going then. Good luck with yours, Danny

14. steamer471

NAWCC Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Male
    Self employed
    Charlotte NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to try and make a barrel for it. I'll keep you posted also.

15. steamer471

NAWCC Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Male
    Self employed
    Charlotte NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well I ended up cracking the hole on the spring. I managed to find one with the same measurements on line and it easily snapped since it came pre-wound. It was like putting in a pocket watch mainspring. PM me if you like and I'll send you a link to the site.

20200906_191342.jpg