Thomas Mc Dougall - London

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by harold, Nov 27, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. harold

harold Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 12, 2001
    Can anybody give me more information on this maker. I checked all the books I have as well as the internet but could not find anything. It is a movement only inside a brass shipping container. What type of watch would it be with a sweep second hand?

Attached Files:

2. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I can not find any reference to McDougall in Baille/Loombs the listing of World, mostly UK watchmakers.

The movement looks to be a work in progress. It has not been gilded and probably not fully finished, "In the gray" nas it called in England.

It is a typical layout of an early chronograph like watch. These usually have a lever which stops the balance. The whole watch stops. At teh time these were use as stop watches but today the same function is "hacking". These were made in large numbers by movement makers and distributed "in the gray" to retailers who contracted out the finishing steps they wanted and then cased.

McDuogall was likely a retail dealer. These movement often also have an address written on them.

3. harold

harold Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 12, 2001
    Thank you for the reply.

4. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This watch is a bit above the average for the breed. It appears to have 19 jewels with caps on the pallet and escape wheel and the numbered dial normally indicates high quality also.

Note the 4th wheel is in the center of the watch and the 3rd wheel is not jeweled. It has a going barrel as do almost all of the stem wound "Center Second Chronographs."

5. harold

harold Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 12, 2001
    Thank you for the information Tom.

6. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Now that Tom has called it to my attention, this watch has other very high end features, timing nuts and a "chronometer" balance.

The balance arms have "wings". These are the triangular parts of the balance arms near the rim. These were adjusted to put the balance in poise before teh timing screws went on.

The screws at the arms and at 90 degrees to the arms are often special and called "quarter" screws. They have a long threade region and are used to provide adjustment. On this watch silver colored nuts are threaded onto the ends of these screws. This is unusual and a very high end feature. These nuts were often made of platinum for its weight.

7. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    With a few more posts we will have Harold getting a purpose made case for the watch. The good news is that it should be silver rather than gold for most of these.

There should also be a stop mechanism and a nice push to set piece seen from the side of the movement.

8. peg leg

peg leg Guest

Probably not the best photo........but as Tom indicates, this one is pin set with a hack mechanizm just below the pin set.

Keith R...

Attached Files: